kandersson

Reaction score
I'd like to use my goalkeeper as a true libero/defensive playmaker, trying to replicate the unorthodox style of South American keepers like Hugo Gatti and Rene Higuita, who would often leave the penalty area and join defenders - and sometimes even attackers! - as additional outfield players.

Honestly the sweeper keeper role doesn't make that much difference imho, I've tried to set some 'extreme' individual instructions for my GK, including run with ball and run from deep often, move into channels, killer balls often, closing down etc, even set him as plamaker AND target man (!) but he still acts like a 'normal' goalkeeper all the time, staying in his own area and making 'normal' plays.

My GK Julian Viafara should also be more than capable to play this playmaker keeper role (he somewhat does irl), though it seems to me this can't be really implemented properly in FM.

Anyone had any success implementing something like that?

The ME is very restrictive in this aspect, you cant' even make a libero work properly. This is probably to avoid extreme settings exploiting the ME, but it takes away your freedom to give players unorthodox instructions.

The ME is very restrictive in this aspect, you cant' even make a libero work properly. This is probably to avoid extreme settings exploiting the ME, but it takes away your freedom to give players unorthodox instructions.

You can. I use one at the moment and it works well. Worked even better on my previous tactic as the midfield was less packed in it.