Please help refine my possession tactic!

The_pete2

Reaction score
I am trying to create a tactic with arsenal that emulates the free-flowing football that they play. However I find it difficult to translate the ideas that are in my head onto the screen! Could people please take a look at the tactic so far and suggest refinements/highlight silly mistakes I have made?

*known weakness - Defence very vulnerable to long ball over the top
For some reason they make a lot of silly mistakes, like throwing the ball across their own box for the opposition to score
View attachment 340534

Last edited:
With low tempo, possesion game and attackin mentality of your team, you have following situation:

Your wingers will push up as you give them attacking duty. Your fullbacks will also push up to support them. Since you give your DLine instruction to hold the line, they will also push hihgher up. Thus, this will always give space behind your D-line to send ball over the top. Since you did not set aggressive roles to your CM-s neither to your CB-s, there will be space between defence and midfield, since you basically told both to hold the line.

REgarding mistakes, this can be solved with "fever risky passes" player oi for defensive players.

And one question. Do you realize that with this setup, you are not using your players to best of their abilites? For example, You told Ozil to sit in hole and play outlet passes for others, while his favorit moves include coming deep to get ball, try killer ball often and running wiht ball. Wiht this instrucktion you practicaly forbiden him to use any of this.
Then, You have role model Target men in Giroud set up as Advance forward, altough he does not know to cross. And You are also not using properly Podolsky, Ramsey and Arteta!?

You can achieve free flowing football even if you give your players more appropriate roles, at least to some of them. For example, AP-support to Ozil, Inf to Podolski or TM to Giroud...