Shteffyyy

Reaction score
I started a career with my favourite english team, Chelsea. I developed 2 tactics, 1 employing a possesion style and the other a direct style, but the results aren't so great (1-1 with Crystal Palace, 3-3 home to Southampton etc). I'm trying to find out where I am going wrong but I can't figure this out. I'll post some screens
POSSESION: View attachment 327409 View attachment 327408

DIRECT: View attachment 327409 View attachment 327407

If someone is willing to help me out I would be so grateful. Thanks

Start off by telling us what your issue is? Not scoring? Not defending well enough? etc etc

Yes, you can see that the issue is not scoring enough... the players seem to encounter problems in the final third, sometimes they just seem brainless... the point was, can someone find what are the problems with those tactics by looking at roles/team instructions.

Based on the info you've given, you've scored 4 goals in 2 games?

The only difference between your possession and direct tactics are the Team Instructions? You don't think you need anything else to be different between a direct and possession tactic like maybe roles/duties too?

1) The 2 games are just an example.. even though i scored 4 in 2 games i didnt win neither, so the performance is kinda poor.
2) I even tried different formations with the direct one (4-1-2-2-1), with Anchor man - CM (S), AP (A ) - IF (A ), IF (A ), but the performance is the same, mediocre.

So it's not a problem of scoring goals then? The more you post, the more I think you just want someone to hand you a tactic where you'll win. If that's what you're after, there's a very popular tactic downloads section.

If you're after help, that's fine and I'll (and I'm sure others) will help. It just doesn't seem like you're after help and understanding?

Last edited:
Yes, you can see that the issue is not scoring enough... the players seem to encounter problems in the final third, sometimes they just seem brainless... the point was, can someone find what are the problems with those tactics by looking at roles/team instructions.

I wouldn't say scoring 4 in 2 is necessarily bad, however conceding 4 in 2 with the best team in the prem is much more of an issue surely!?

How are you conceding your goals? Set pieces? Crosses?

If you want some more examples: 0-0 with Sunderland and Stoke, so you can see that there is a problem with scoring. Also I drew 0-0 with Tottenham at home (I didn't list it with sunderland and stoke because tottenham is actually a good team, so it can happen). I am not conceding too much through crosses. Most of the goals are coming from corners or counter attacks (that shouldn't happen too often, Matic is a holding midfielder)

If you want some more examples: 0-0 with Sunderland and Stoke, so you can see that there is a problem with scoring. Also I drew 0-0 with Tottenham at home (I didn't list it with sunderland and stoke because tottenham is actually a good team, so it can happen). I am not conceding too much through crosses. Most of the goals are coming from corners or counter attacks (that shouldn't happen too often, Matic is a holding midfielder)

I cannot really see why you wouldn't be scoring so much, perhaps lose the 'retain possession' instruction? The shorter passing instruction should really be enough to dominate possession.
I'd also swap low tempo for high tempo, because playing as a low tempo allows the opposite team to get players back quickly, and you have the quality to keep possession whilst passing quickly.
I'm not particularly a fan of the direct tactic of yours in all honesty. Just my opinion, however.

For corners- set everyone to zonally mark, apart from 2 players on posts, 1 player closing the corner down, and one player staying forward.

Followed your advice, unticked retain possession and swapped for higher tempo and things went excellent in the first match, won 4-1. I'll see how it goes

If you want to have a "possession" tactic then unticking retain possession surely defeats the purpose? I think you shiuld untick the play wider instruction as possession based football includes the idea of compressing space.

Im much more concerned with the formation you chose as im not sure it fits possession tactic. Also dont forget the space between the midfield and defence an issue connected with my point regarding fitting possession

Followed your advice, unticked retain possession and swapped for higher tempo and things went excellent in the first match, won 4-1. I'll see how it goes

Thats great, let me know how the next few games go!

If you want to have a "possession" tactic then unticking retain possession surely defeats the purpose? I think you shiuld untick the play wider instruction as possession based football includes the idea of compressing space.

Im much more concerned with the formation you chose as im not sure it fits possession tactic. Also dont forget the space between the midfield and defence an issue connected with my point regarding fitting possession

I agree - although my advice to him to untick retain possession, is because i don't feel the Chelsea team is best suited to retain possession in a way that it limits their chances.

They utilise their width, in almost a counter attacking way, so perhaps selecting a counter attacking mentality, or even an attacking mentality?

With counter he ll still suffer the odd mishap against worse teams. He has the players to play both possession and keep opponents starved of the ball as well as direct football. I'd try a 451 with a dlp defend in front of the back four plus two cms in front of him eg cm auto and ap support for the possession tactic

Won 3 succesive games then beat Grimsby in the cup. Now I'll play West Ham at home and then the challenge will come: Man United away. I think I'll try a counter for that one

Won 3 succesive games then beat Grimsby in the cup. Now I'll play West Ham at home and then the challenge will come: Man United away. I think I'll try a counter for that one

Sounds like you got it sorted, results mean everything.