Please review my tactics/players - Feyenoord

jazperfey1908

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I've been playing FM11 (11.3) as my first official football manager game and have been loving it so far, have tried seasons with QPR, Sparta Rotterdam and now finally I feel I'm 'skilled' enough to try out my great love Feyenoord.

1st try with feyenoord I became 8th.. realistic.. but crappy..
Don't hesitate to rip my tactics/ players to bits.. i'm here to learn!

Surprisingly when starting the season I was told Feyenoord is expected to be fighting for the title, even though we've been playing in the sub-top for almost a decade...

So there's quite an uphill battle here..

I'm in early Spetember now and I wanted to ask you veterans of the game what you think of my style and choice of player.

I'm trying to stick to my own youth a lot, only buying bare necesities.

I play a variation of Raikan's 'perfect 4-3-3' (The Freiburg 4-5-1 basically), when I play smaller teams I move the CDM as an extra player up front between my wingers.

Big moves:
At the end of my season preparation man City made an offer for Wijnaldum, I pushed it to €10m and they accepted, this means the loss of one of my bright spots but I got in Giannis Fetfatzidis for +/- 7m... good deal? I'm planning on making him 'distributor' behind my main striker.. (good idea?)

The biggest problem at feyenoord is strikers, only Castaignos is decent and he leaves at the end of the season.. no use investing in him :D
I sold some youth (and luigi bruins for 6m! hahaha) and managed to get two great strikers in; Lucas Gaucho and Takayuki Morimoto, at the end of the season prep I also got an extra surprise; ahmed Soukouna had agreed to my low wages to be back-up! yey! Striker problem solved.. or not?

Other than that I spend 1,5m on Christophe Diandy, IMO one of the most versatile players ever, I've played him as LB, LW, CAM, CDM and he does great everywhere!

Current Line-up:

GK: Erwin Mulder (Young, not great but room to improve!)
RB: Stefan de Vrij (Doing great, re-training to CB to eventually replace Vlaar)
CB: Ron Vlaar (fantatsic player, underrated in FM11 I think)
CB: Andre Bahia (Wayyyy overrated in FM11...)
LB: De Cler (often subbed with promising young Martins Indi)
CDM: (anchor man) Christophe Diandy/ Marcel Meeuwis
LM:(Box 2 Box mid) Leroy Fer/ Kamo Mokotjo (Mokotjo promising for the future)
RM:(Adv. Playmaker) Giannis Fetfatzidis/ R. van Haaren (not great yet)
LW: (winger) Ryo Miachi (unelligble for league yet), Diego Biseswar (doing great)
RW: (ins. forward, free role) Ahmed Soukouna / Fetfatzidis
ST: Lucas Gaucho/ Morimoto (poachers)

What do you think of my decision to put soukouna on the right as my 'secret' 2nd striker? He has 'cut in lanes' enable and enjoys a lot of freedom

Do you think Fetfatzidis is in the right spot? (want to use him as my main playmaker)

I'm using Dunc's youth schedules and medium training, and have requested upgrades to my youth facilities (making them 5 star!) All of my older players are tutoring 17yr olds..
I try to send all my mediocre 18yr olds out on loan.
Do you think this would mean making the most out of Feyenoord's great youth?
ANY TIPS HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

So far I'm doing okay in the league, currently 5th with 2 ties and 3 wins...
The important thing here is to qualify for European football (preferably CL off course) so it'll be good to watch for possible reinforcements..

What do you think lads? Any criticism is greatly appreciated!
:)

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Question: Takayuki Morimoto

What's the best way to play this guy? I bought him with the idea to make a japanese partnership with Miyachi but he's not scoring too much, one goal in the Dutch cup and a penalty but that's it..

He's currently a poacher..

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Fetfatzidis:
1st game as a starter; "Classy Fetfatzidis on form for Feyenoord", apparently he 'pulled the strings in midfield' and had 3 assists! (against Ajax 2 in the cup, but still!!)

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

'**** foreigners'
At the moment most of my strike force (gaucho, morimoto, myiachi, soukouna) don't speak any Dutch.. Should I wait playing them a bit or just go for it? I need at least one of these as striker but I could cope with biseswar/ cabral on the sides which would leave out all but one of the above..

I hope the tactic is doing well for you mate :)

Giannis is a great player, I retrained him to a Winger and was class there for me! all the non Dutch speaking players will pick it up eventually so dont stress about that, they are good enough to impact a few leagues :)

tell Morimoto not to run too often with the ball, but to make a lot of runs from deep... try his as Treq but with the same PI's! Soukouna is a decent free player, he plays on the right and or striker for me at Le Mans (Ligue 2 1st season) there are a few places you really need to replace though, keeper and a new Cb....

just make sure you follow your Assistant Managers advice (well if his stat of tactical knowledge is higher than like 14 or 15)

Youth is youth, they will take a while to get into the 1st team, you need good players now to start winning things and qualifying for Europe mate, youth should be a thougt in the back of your mind at the moment :) get in good players to play now!

Hi Raikan, thank you for your advice! Your tactic and player recommendations have been proven to be spot-on in previous seasons I played with QPR and sparta! I like to google players and check out some vids when buying players and your picks always do well!

I'm changing morimoto's instructions as we speak! will let you know what happens..

I'm afraid the transfer deadline has passed so no more reinforcements just yet but I am keeping an eye out for an old goalkeeper and a decent CB! (I have been sweet-talking Tyton from Roda JC which I personally like, do you think he'd be a good GK for me?)

For another CB I'd like to get Groningen's Granqvist, he's a bit pricey (6-7m) but he's great in real-life and I should be able to afford him once I sell either Fer (at least 10m) or Mokotjo (at least 6-8m).. (last season had a transfer request for them almost every 3 games)

Do you think these changes mid-season would cover me? Thanks for your help!

dont sell those two players they are probably your two best players, there are some really good players out there for cheap :)

maybe look at Ronald Juhasz - Anderlecht or Bruno Alves - Zenit even, Salvatore Bochetti - Rubin or Davide Astori - Cagliari or Mathias Jorgensen - Kobenhavn or Diego Lugano - Fenerbahce or Avraam Papodoplous - Olyimpiakos or Sebastian Coates - Nacional or Sergiy Kryvtsov - Shakthar or Dezenan Radoncic - Seongnam (all under 3 million)

Onur Kivrak - Trabzonspor or David Ospina - OGC Nice or Stijn Stijnen - Clubb Brugge or Maxym Koval - Dinamo Kiev or Fernando Muslera - Lazio or Carlos Kameni - Espanyol or Andrea Consigli - Atalanta or Samir Handanovic - Udinese or Juan Pablo Carrizzo - Riverplate or Sergio Romero - Az or Fabian Assmann - Independiente or Tobias Sippel - Kaiserlauten or Ramazan Ozcan - Hoffenheim or Rorys Espinoza - Diyarbakirspor or Sinan Bolat - Standard Liege or Vincent Enyeama - Hopel Tel Aviv
Luis Meija - Fenix or Renan - Avai

take a look at some of these decent players for cheap as well...

Wowwww thats some pretty specific advice mate! Thanks a bunch, now I can keep the good youngsters, yey! :D

Stijn Stijnen I've seen a lot of in real life and I think he'd be great! (will have to see if I can afford him though)

I can't buy AZ's Romero though, he's so **** in real life, I'd feel I would be cheating hehe

Looks like the hunt is on!! Many thanks for this mate, great stuff! (H)

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I've tried to play Morimoto with those setting for 3 matches but no luck.. I think I'll let Gaucho play mostly untill the winter when Ryo Myaichi becomes available.. or try them together in an 'il devasto'

I'm getting rid of some surplus players now to clear up some transfer budget for a GK & CB

Last edited:
pleasure bud... he would be best maybe as a Deep lying forward - attack! tell him to do the opposite of what he is doing now and play through balls and cross... your Amr and Aml will come in and support him...

Lucas Guacho is a machine :) one of my favourite strikers (this tactic was created around him just by the way)

also look at:

Jan Chramosta - Mladla Boleslav
Bogdan Stancu - Galatasaray
Peniel Mlapa - Hoffenheim
Vinicius - Palmeiras
Rogelio Funes Mori - River
Idriss Saadi - St Ettiene
Thiago Ribeiro - Cruizero

Currently negotiating with Juhasz, Stijnen, Enyeama and Randoncic.. they're a bit pricey but it looks like a couple of bonusses here and there should get me one in each spot at least!

I love chramosta, he was my best scoring player in my previous feyenoord save but I used him in all of my previous 4 saves.. so I wanted to shake things up a bit..

Guacho I bought as a back-up for Morimoto but he's banging 'em in at such a regular rate it's becoming suspicious! :D

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy" :)

Thanks for all this help mate, I'll dedicate Feyenoord's 1st league championship in a decade to you ;)

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

OK, this seems fair:

Juhasz:
1.7m + 1m (10 goals) + 0.5m (20 games) @ €25,5k a week
(unhappy at club)

Stijnen: 2.2m + 5m (10goals) + 1m (20 games) @ €25k a week

Enyeama: 750k + 500k (10 goals) + 250k (20 games) @ €27k a week

I can get Enyeama dirt cheap, but Stijnen speaks the right languages and shouldn't need to adjust as much, I'd reckon..

Last edited:
I would get Enyeam over Stijnen to be honest, cheaper and better :) look at Mignolet - Sunderland as well :)

Juhasz is not a bad deal :)

Juhasz has signed, 1st of Jan he's mine (H) They started with 6 or 7 million, now I just have to make sure he doesn't score too much :D

I had intentionally delayed the GK's signing, glad I did now! Will send Stijn back to get himself a waffle!

Will I get extra budget from Enyeam's Nigerian phone scams? :D Thanks for the quick reply!

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Using the spare change from not getting Stijnen to look for a CDM, your screenies are great! Bidding for Jung-Woo and the polish guy!

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Currently (3 Nov '10) 4th in the league, still unbeaten but with quite a number of draws and 1-0's.. Hoping the 4 new players coming in on the 1st of January will make the difference! Got both CDMs for around a million! 400k +bonuses for Kazmierczak and Jungo-Woo for 600k +bonuses.

Confident I can make it past the group stage this year, beat Partizan and LOSC Lille, drew against Atletico.. not bad at all so far!

Last edited:
awesome mate, glad to see you have these players in your game :) Jung-Woo does like a step over every time he takes a step, quite fun to watch :) negotating for him now for my Le Mans team (just got promoted) 800k accepted offer...

I would like to know how you do so either PM or VM with updates or post in here, would like to see :) good luck!

I'll keep posting my progress here! Getting nearer to the 1st of Jan, so should have some 'findings' soon!

Lost my 1st game, 2-1 against AZ, keeper problem is becoming evident! Thanks for all the help so far!

---------- Post added 26/05/2011 at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was 25/05/2011 at 09:19 PM ----------

My Goalie might be a problem but the front-line sure isn't! Gaucho with Fetfatzidis behind him is a 2-goals-a-game guarantee! Just beat an injury-striken Ajax 6-0!!!! This'll buy me some credit with the fans for when the eventual dip in performance occurs :D

nice mate! still using the 4-3-3? :) those were my two best players for my Freiburg team, the tactic was created around these two players!

Still using the 4-3-3 in combination with a more attacking variant, where the Adv. Playmaker (Fetfat) plays between the wingers, behind the striker. This means having the two CDM's together in a line behind him.

Standard formation:
-------ST-------
LW----------RW
---CM---AM---
------CDM-----
LB-CB-CB-RB

Against smaller teams:
-------ST-------
LW---AM---RW
--CDM--CDM-
---------------
LB-CB-CB-RB

Hope that makes sense :) I'll post some screenies at the winter break! Top-of-the-league currently! Manage to draw that match against AZ in the end, still officially unbeaten! Too many draws though, looking forward to seeing the difference with your suggested players on board!

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

On the counter:
It's now the 8th of December, the team has been a bit unstable lately, lost to Lille in the EC Group stage but have qualified for the next stage!!

In order to survive this instability I have changed the tactics slightly to play on the counter, dropped the defensive line a bit and betting on the speed of the offensive players.
This is working well, beat Utrecht 2-0 (10th) and Roda JC 3-1 (12th) like this. Hoping that after the break with the new infusion of manpower that I will be able to player higher up the pitch but I'll have to patient for a bit...

Breaking in the young guns:

I've been slowly bringing in some youngsters, de Vrij (18) and Martins Indi (18) have a semi-regular starting spot, Cabral and Mokotjo (both 19) also play regularly. Gaucho, and Fetfatzidis (both 19) Diandy (20) and Fer (20) are regular starters so you can say I'm playing quite a young team. I have 16yr old Kevin Nieto and 18yr old Matthew Morais as occasional 'bonus subs' just to give 'em some extra experience.. Too much youth? any other feyenoord youngsters you'd give more attention?

Big teams in big trouble
'FC Twente (11th) manager on verge of sack', 'Ajax (9th) boss under fire'. Just like in real life the 'provincial dutch teams' are catching up with the 'big money', PSV is in 7th place with Heerenveen and AZ below me :D
I'm constantly giving Ajax coach Frank de Boer **** about anything I can hehe

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

picked up 2 super-cheap 20yo strikers (to be transferred next summer) I brought Kermit Erasmus (50k) back to feyenoord, love this guy as I met him in person and he's a midget with an afro :D also got **** Yang from Anderlecht (40k)..

I know these guys probably won't be monsters but I don't mind loaning 'em out for 3 years just to see what happens :)

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

January is here! December was a tough month as I drew 2 and lost 3-1 to VVV... :(

Due to Leroy Fer's poor form I've decided to take the risk and field both new CDMs, hoping their age will make them adjust easier...
Also Bahia picked up and injury on the day Juhasz joined so I had to put him straight into the line-up after the winter break.. Keeper was **** as well so now I have 4 new players in my line-up.. worried about instability a bit but the team was playing poorly lately so maybe shaking things up is what is needed.

So I PSV was the first team after the break, I was fearing the worst.. but it came out alright 2-1! Jung-woo is really terrific on the ball and juhasz is just a strong big guy.. exactly what the team needed.

Looks like your recommendations were spot on Raikan! I'll attach some screenies in a bit..

Last edited:
awesome mate, glad they are working well for you :) Woo is a great ball player, the Korean Pirlo mixed with Messi :) hahah, he steps over so much! cracks me up when he walks does his step overs and is quicker than most of the players on the field...

good win there, especially first game for most of these guys :) Kermit is cool, he is South African just like me :) turns into a decent player on Fm too!

End of 1st Season
I know it's a bit abrupt but it was an adventurous 2nd half of the season with lots of ups and downs and it went by before i realized i hadnt posted anything :)

I had been knocked out the Dutch Cup in November which I was kinda glad for (played the youngsters like Arsene) but still it was a busy season because Feyenoord did great in the EURO Cup! Had good draws and managed to get to the semi-final by mostly shutting up shop and countering against Rangers (0-1,2-0), PSG(0-0,1-0) and Sampdoria (2-1,1-0), home advantage counted for a lot each time!
Liverpool proved way to strong in the end (2-0,1-3) Enyeama wasn't registered so 20yr old goalie Darkey was on goal the entire EU run :)

I've lost a further 3 matches in the league but have managed to become champion 3 matches before the end, Fetfat and Gaucho really came through in the end with lots of goals and assists.

Fetfatzidis becomes young player of the year! Yey, uhm but soukouna and gaucho were 2nd and 3rd :D 30 Apps, 20 Assists, 8 goals!!!!! Too bad I couldn't use him in the EURO cup (was already registered) but he'll do great in the CL I imagine.
View attachment 173703
My good old scout Johan Boskamp found 22yr old defender Kiko rotting away on a bench in spain and for a mild 425k he is now my back-up CB, looks promising.
Also I have picked up out-of-contract Roorda and Lasse Schone, Roorda is goig on loan, Schone would make a good back-up CAM behind fetfatzidis I'd imagine.

Also, have a look at Morimoto's stats, he's improved unbelievably over one season, and he hasn't played that much as Gaucho was red hot! Got Myaichi's loan extended for another year so maybe this japanese link-up might work after all...
View attachment 173705

Kim Jung Woo is great! At first his extreme high number of shots from 30m out but his contribution is invaluable! really holds it together during tough moments on the pitch.
View attachment 173706

I'm planning on feeding excelsior a great team (roorda, erasmus, leerdam, kongolo) so they can get some positive experience in, hope to eventually have Mokotjo and Erasmus as my SA duo ;) I was in SA a couple of months ago and loved it there so I'm not adverse of including more of your peeps Raikan hehe.

Some screenies here, any advice on strengthening the team for establishing fe
yenoord as the dominant force in Dutch football and have a decent Champions League run?

Ideally I'd like to play with both Morimoto and Gaucho on the pitch, with two wingers and fetfatzidis behind the strikers.. Any ideas of a good strategy to make this work?

View attachment 173704

Current variation on your tactic:
View attachment 173707

Last edited:
Early Summer moves:

Free transfers:
IN: Schone, Roorda,
OUT: de Cler, Hofland, Tomasson

Transfers for "team width":

ST: Castaignos out (3m), Idriss Saadi in (1m +3m in potential bonusses)
(should I loan Saadi out or use him as my 3rd striker this season?)
LB: Replacement for de Cler; Layvin Kurzawa (FT)
RB: Daan Bovenberg (from recently relegated Excelsior)
L AM: Toornstra (great young technical footballer)
C AM: Enzo Reale (for the future)

I haven't received my official transfer budget yet, these were all from the sale of el Ahmadi and Castaignos.
What I think I need now is a top-class left-back, right-back and I have a feeling one of my starting XI is about to get a nice bid so I might have to replace someone..

What do you think?

So I've stated I'm going for the title and nothing less, 9.8 Million to spend! Good chunk of wage budget left!

Below is my current line up w/ sub, I want to get 2 or 3 starters in.. where do you think I should spend this cash?

GK: Enyeama / Darley
RB: de Vrij / Bovenberg <-- Looking for good players here
CB: Vlaar/ Bahia
CB: Juhasz / Kiko
LB: Martins Indi/ Kurzawa <-- Looking for good players here
CDM: Fer / Mokotjo / Roorda
CDM: Jung Woo/ Kazmierczak
LAM: Myaichi / Toornstra
CAM: Fetfatzidis/ Schone
RAM: Soukouna/ Biseswar
ST: Gaucho/ Morimoto/ Saadi

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Looks like Konstantin Rausch (2.5m) on the left, and LOSC's Matthieu Debuchy on the right.

I have bought Debuchy before in my previous feyenoord save and he was brilliant, easily worth the 4m i payed for him then (man city offered 8m a couple of months later) but now LOSC have put him on sale! 1.6m.. no questions asked :D

Last edited:
nice mate :)

lef back I would look at getting in someone like Juan Manual Vargas or Marcell Jansen and for right back I would suggest Danilo - Corinthians, Douglas - Goais, Renato - Sporte Recife, Rafael - Man Utd, Vasilis Torisidis - Olympiakos :)

Rausch and Debuchy did the job very nicely! At the end of the transfer season Soukouna was about to leave so I picked up Chramosta for my last 4 million.. But Soukouna didn't want to go to Olympique Lyonnais :D

I've already finished the season.. Made it past the CL group phase (Bayern, Red Star & Shaktar) but got annihilated by Inter the next round :)
Won the league again, very easily (82pts) and won the Dutch Cup.. Holland's under control... now it's time for Europe!!

Didn't buy anyone in the winter, sold Mokotjo straight from the bench for 7.5million! Thank you Zenit :) I had too many CDMs anyway so I was happy for the money! I signed Man City's Jo and Akram Ashat during the winter and now its summer they've just arrived :)
At the end of the season Birmingham offered me 12 Million for Chramosta and he was gone.. (from 4 to 12 million in a year.. not bad!)
I'm donating Excelsior (my feeder) a star team this year; Sylvain Marveaux (FT during the winter), 4 great feyenoord youngsters, **** Yang (FT from anderlecht), Lucas Piazon and Sekou Cisse (Finally injury-free, turns out he's rubbish hehe)

I want to play a more dominating style of football now that Im the 'champion-2-be' every year so I'm playing an 'Il Devasto' with Morimoto (25gls last year) and Gaucho (21gls) up front, Soukouna and Miyachi (still on loan!) on the wings.
In the middle I play fetfatzidis (18 assists last yr! young player of the year for 2 seasons!) with a strong midfielder next to him.
Oh and I just sold Bahia for 2.5m and bought young CB 'Saimon' from Real Madrid!

So I've been looking for a strong ball winning-and playing midfielder... ad I've found... Etienne Capoue! I've really like this guy and I'm hoping he can be my 'strong man' when Fer isn't playing..

What do you think? Any other reinforcements you'd recommend?

My current line-up:

GK: Enyeama / Darley
RB: Debuchy / De Vrij
CB: Vlaar/ Saimon
CB: Juhasz/ De Vrij
LB: Rausch / Martins Indi
CM: Fer / Capoue/ Kim-Jung Woo
CM: Fetfatzidis / Nashat Akram /
RW: Soukouna / Fetfatzidis
LW: Miyaichi / Jens Toornstra
ST: Morimoto / Jo
ST: Gaucho / Saadi

Not bad ey!! What do you think, anyone I can sell or anyone I should buy? got 8.2 Million to spend still and +/- 3 weeks till the start of the next season..

good team there :) still lacking a bit on the flanks....

look at Assiati, Gaitan, Guberti, Sebastian Blano, Willian, Alex Teixeria, Thiago Neves - Al Hilal, Dmitiry Sychev, Rafael Sobis, Yaser Al Qanthi, Mounir Al Hamdoui etc...

Hi there!
I´m managing Feyenoord as well with the 11.03 patch.
My first observation is that the board objectives are unrealistic. Fighting for the league title with a team full of youngsters, without no money to invest, and without strikers, is probably one of the toughest challenges i´ve embrace.
With that said, i made some objectives of my own:

1. Develop the talented youngsters in the team.
2. Achieving a place in the top 5 at the end of the season
3. Build a team in a tactic i really dislike (4-3-3 with wingers, i play usually in a diamond 4-4-2), playing a high profile offensive football.
4. Dominate the dutch league without spending much money, using a team based on dutch players, and talented foreigners, in a 3 seasons period.

First steps:

No money to spend = no new players
Resist the temptations of selling the team pearls for a bargain (Mulder, De Vrij, Fer, Wijnaldum, Biseswar) Castaignos is moving to Inter for a bargain at the end of the season
Tried to sign a striker ( Tomasson, Cissé with long term injuries) to alternate with Castaignos (no money, no luck, not even a player on loan

Team:

GK: Darley, Mulder, Van Dijk
DR: De Vrij, Swerts
DL: De Cler, Dani Fernandez (trained him to be left-back)
DC: A.Bahia, Vlaar, Bruno Indi, Matthew Morais (Schenkenveld has also a long term injury, and i´ve needed a 4th DC, had to go to the amazing Feyenoord youth system)
DMC: Mokotjo, Auassar
MC box-box: Fer, Leerdam (have to play him more in the middle)
MC palymaker: Bruins, Van Haaren
AMR: Wijnaldum,Schaken
AML: Biseswar, Cabral
STR: Castaignos, Elvis Manu (once again, had to pick somebody from the youth team)

Results so far:

5th in the League (16 points above Ajax, but only 3 points far from 2nd)
eliminated at group phase of Europa League (Leverkusen, Cska Moscow)
Semi Finals of Dutch Cup (will play against Ajax)

So far so good.

Notes:

Sold Fer to Zenit: 10M
Bought Salami for bossing the midterrain
Brought in Tiago Alves in a loan.

Best Players so far:

Castaignos (15 goals)
Van Haaren ( what a boss)
Salami
Vlaar