Plymouth Sack Manager Peter Reid.

Giggles

Reaction score
Article from BBC Sport- BBC Sport - Peter Reid leaves post as manager of Plymouth Argyle Peter Reid has left his post as manager of Plymouth Argyle after 15 months in charge.
The financially-stricken club are bottom of League Two with one point from nine games and lost 2-0 at Southend on Saturday.
"Peter has had to put up with more in a short period of time than most managers have to put up with in a whole career," acting chairman Peter Ridsdale said.
"Ultimately, whatever the challenges, football is a results business."

-----

This is a disgrace. A Complete disgrace. The loyalty this man has shown for the club, he's gone 12 months without a full pay packet, had to re-build a squad of youngsters in the background of a shambles administration process- And then without giving him a proper chance to manage this football club, he is sacked? So Mr Ridsdale, who will he be replaced by? Exactly. I can't see anyone better than Reid taking over, and anyone getting some results.

When Reid first joined, he had a half-decent L1 squad. Noone, BWP, Reda Johnson- In January, we were 3 points behind the playoffs, and on good form. We were playing good football, and if we didn't have those financial troubles, we could of made the playoffs. Of course, the events after that, meant Reid had 2 hands tied behind his back. None of this is his fault, and quite simply its shocking. Thats Peter Ridsdale for you. Complete idiot.

Replacements? Anybody want to work for free?

Thanks for everything Peter- Your work will here will never be forgotten. :wub:

[video=youtube;yw8-p7LADps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw8-p7LADps[/video]

He's such a **** manager. Ciao you mackem ****!

What are you talking about? 1 point from 9 games? We couldn't get anyone worse.

Somebody will happily join a club bottom of the football league, work under Peter Ridsdale, not get payed for the opening month or so of their work, have a dis-jointed, young and low on morale team, have no transfer funds to spend etc etc. We won't get anyone better, it should be Ridsdale getting the sack, not Reid.

Somebody will happily join a club bottom of the football league, work under Peter Ridsdale, not get payed for the opening month or so of their work, have a dis-jointed, young and low on morale team, have no transfer funds to spend etc etc. We won't get anyone better, it should be Ridsdale getting the sack, not Reid.

There are plenty of managers that would jump at the opportunity to manage a football league (at the moment) team, we should be giving a chance to an up and coming manager from the lower leagues or something, someone cheap with new ideas. Reid's football was just plain awful, even last season, we had a team that should have easily stayed in that division, even with the point deduction, we should have been no where near that end of the table. Granted our team isn't great at the moment, but we still have enough players good enough to secure us in this division.

1 point from 9 games is completely unacceptable, what ever team you're managing. If we carried on this way, we would end the season with about 5 points. Reid needed to completely change his plans an mentality, and it was something he was refusing to do, I know we don't have the best team in the division by a long way, but any team in that division should be able to win a game with the right tactics/mentality. Reid is past it. He should go back to managing Thailand or Sunderland, where no one really cares about football.

There are plenty of managers that would jump at the opportunity to manage a football league (at the moment) team, we should be giving a chance to an up and coming manager from the lower leagues or something, someone cheap with new ideas. Reid's football was just plain awful, even last season, we had a team that should have easily stayed in that division, even with the point deduction, we should have been no where near that end of the table. Granted our team isn't great at the moment, but we still have enough players good enough to secure us in this division.

1 point from 9 games is completely unacceptable, what ever team you're managing. If we carried on this way, we would end the season with about 5 points. Reid needed to completely change his plans an mentality, and it was something he was refusing to do, I know we don't have the best team in the division by a long way, but any team in that division should be able to win a game with the right tactics/mentality. Reid is past it. He should go back to managing Thailand or Sunderland, where no one really cares about football.

Sorry, but I don't see the Anti-Reid bandwagon. For the past 9 months or so, he's not been managing a normal football club, he's been managing a sinking ship. You can't expect results from a football team that has an average age of about 21, and not been given a full wage packet in 2011. The financial uncertaintity is clearly taking its toll on the the players- The reason why Carl Fletcher was sent off yesterday, the frustration from the past year, just all went out. He's tried playing some good football this season, and last season, like I said in the OP- We went 3 points off the playoffs, but when the core of the team is ripped out in such a way, and the future of the club is put in doubt that will always be on the players minds.

At the end of the day, this isn't Reid's fault- He's tried approaching god knows how many players, but they don't want to work for free, when they could some money elsewhere. If we had given Peter Reid some time, give the players some wages, saved the club- Then I feel their would be a surge on the pitch, and results would get better. Just because we were in the Championship a couple years ago, gives us no right to expect results in League Two. It wouldn't suprise if we have the worst team in this division, and it will be highlighted when someone like Paul Hart takes us into the Conference. Reid's not past it, he was never given a fair chance here...

Sorry, but I don't see the Anti-Reid bandwagon.

I don't see a bandwagon either, I don't know anyone else that shares the same view as myself, they are my own views, thus, no bandwagon. I am sure there are probably more fans upset that he's gone, than the ones that are happy, but I don't live in a dream land, sure, he's a nice enough guy, working for basically free, paying for the heating in the winter, staying with us during such a torrid time with the way the club has been run, but at the end of the day, it is a results business, and you can't just go and get relegated so easily over some nostalgic sense of pride and respect for the guy, when you can take a chance on bringing in someone new, who hopefully will have some new ideas, and actually have a chance of saving our teams football league status.

Reid's not past it, he was never given a fair chance here...

He was given 15 months, that's a fair enough chance in my book. Watching some of the football we played last season, I was actually so bored I probably spent more time checking the scores for the other game on my phone. It was dull, dreary, boring ****. Sure, we had a good game here and there, but for every good game, we had 7-8 bad ones before the next one.

Your point of 'Just because we were in the Championship a couple years ago, gives us no right to expect results in League Two.'' is pointless. No one is arguing that fact. No one is expecting results, ****, the only thing I am expecting at the moment is that we lose. I can pretty much guarentee every weekend now, when I sit down to Soccer Saturday on TV, that we will lose. That's not how you should see your football club. We should have some small hope of getting a result, but with Reid at the helm, I couldn't see us scoring, our defence looked shaky at best and some of the team selections he makes are just astonishing. No he doesn't have the best players at his disposal, but we have enough players to actually merit not being bottom of the league.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in, I know it wont be a big name, and I am glad about that. Hopefully it will be someone with some tactical awareness.

Anyway, I won't have internet for the next few days as I am moving down to Plymouth, hopefully by the time I do get it back, we will have some news about the future manager, or a caretaker manager at least.

Out of touch, awful manager. Should look at the BSP for any emerging managers, they would love the chance I'de imagine

can see both sides of the arguments for sacking him or not but in the end I have to agree with Dunc. Been a very nice guy but has failed quite badly. It's all about results and he hasn't been getting them

Out of touch, awful manager. Should look at the BSP for any emerging managers, they would love the chance I'de imagine

Won't be able to afford the compensation.

I don't see a bandwagon either, I don't know anyone else that shares the same view as myself, they are my own views, thus, no bandwagon. I am sure there are probably more fans upset that he's gone, than the ones that are happy, but I don't live in a dream land, sure, he's a nice enough guy, working for basically free, paying for the heating in the winter, staying with us during such a torrid time with the way the club has been run, but at the end of the day, it is a results business, and you can't just go and get relegated so easily over some nostalgic sense of pride and respect for the guy, when you can take a chance on bringing in someone new, who hopefully will have some new ideas, and actually have a chance of saving our teams football league status.

He was given 15 months, that's a fair enough chance in my book. Watching some of the football we played last season, I was actually so bored I probably spent more time checking the scores for the other game on my phone. It was dull, dreary, boring ****. Sure, we had a good game here and there, but for every good game, we had 7-8 bad ones before the next one.

Your point of 'Just because we were in the Championship a couple years ago, gives us no right to expect results in League Two.'' is pointless. No one is arguing that fact. No one is expecting results, ****, the only thing I am expecting at the moment is that we lose. I can pretty much guarentee every weekend now, when I sit down to Soccer Saturday on TV, that we will lose. That's not how you should see your football club. We should have some small hope of getting a result, but with Reid at the helm, I couldn't see us scoring, our defence looked shaky at best and some of the team selections he makes are just astonishing. No he doesn't have the best players at his disposal, but we have enough players to actually merit not being bottom of the league.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in, I know it wont be a big name, and I am glad about that. Hopefully it will be someone with some tactical awareness.

Anyway, I won't have internet for the next few days as I am moving down to Plymouth, hopefully by the time I do get it back, we will have some news about the future manager, or a caretaker manager at least.

In the 15 months he spent here, we've spent a good 10/11 months in a financial meltdown. He's had to watch his best players took away, and bring in the 'unwanted' of the football league. Remember, if we hadn't been deducted 10 points, we would of stayed up in League One. Before the financial troubles hit, we were in pretty good form, and just 3 points off the playoffs. He had got the best out of Craig Noone and Bradley Wright-Phillips, something which Sturrock and Mariner could not do. Lets be fair, the squad we had at the back end of last season, and this season, is pretty awful. I don't think we have enough players to merit not being bottom of the league- Our 'best' striker, Warren Feeney hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. Simon Walton isn't that good, and Curtis Nelson is shakey at RB- Of course, the rest are pretty young, inexpierenced and not being payed. I'm pretty certain Peter Reid would of saved us from relegation, given a fair chance at the job. I see the points you make, but wait until we get a dismal replacement and the realise even this replacement can't get feeney scoring, durrell berry defending etc etc.

Feel a bit for Reidy. Sold his FA Cup medal to help out the club, paid the leccy bill, then this. I know it's a results driven business these days, but still. Can't help but feel for him.

Last edited:
Can Plymouth even afford to sack him? :/

Knowing what he's done for the club, probably didn't bother with any compensation because of the plight of the club.