Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im in real awe of how Pochettino makes his Spurs play with their high intensity pressing, quick tempo, fluidity and and the technicality. Im interested in implementing this style into FM 2016.

1. The Basics:
I will outline the basics about his system and see how you guys can help me make it more accurate:
  • a classic 41131 formation.
  • A sweeper keeper in support duty.
  • 2 ball playing defenders in Vertonghen and Alderweireld. Both on Defend duty.
  • Both fullbacks as Complete Wing Backs, support duty. But I think you often see Walker/Trippier going up more often so maybe the right on Attact duty.
  • Eric Dier as Half Back.
  • Moussa Dembele as a Box to Box. But he may well be a Deep-Lying playmaker too?
  • Alli-Eriksen-Son/Chadli to be spoken about in detail below.
  • Lamela as an Inside Forward on support duty. Maybe on attack depending on Right backs duty.
  • Harry Kane as a Complete Forward with support duty. Or potentially on attack duty to make him the main goalscorer like in real life.
  • Control mentality in a Fluid team shape

Now, to talk about the Alli-Eriksen-Son/Chadli trio:
Quite often, like in the 2-1 win against Man City, you see Eriksen playing out wide on the left, and Alli in the middle. Now, if Eriksen is played on the left he surely isnt used as your standard Inside forward like how Son/Chadli would be used. So my question is How does Eriksen, Alli, Dembele, and Dier all play together in midfield? Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

2. Team instructions:
In general, a high pressing team will have the following instructions:
  • High tempo
  • Shorter passing
  • Narrow width
  • Get stuck in
  • Play out of defence
  • Be more expressive
  • Slightly high defensive line
  • Tighter marking
  • and Roam from positions

On top of this, to match Tottenham's style of play, I think we can add:
  • Prevent short GK distribution?
  • Play through the middle
  • Dribble less?
  • Much more closing down
  • Look for overlap
  • Run at defence
  • Float crosses to use Kane's height advantage

3. Thanks to the help of Squawka, I compared Tottenham to the rest of the league.
Here are some points:
  • Highest number of chances created with 11.83 key passes a game
  • Interceptions per game at 17.52
  • 53% av. possession per game. 80% pass accuracy at an av. length of 19m
  • 3rd highest in cards received, mostly due to aggressive tackling

Can anyone help with this tactic?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You have most of the tactic sorted already. I would give both fullbacks an attack duty as you often see them getting forward and putting crosses in.

For when you have Eriksen in the middle with Son/Chadli out wide then I would play Eriksen as an Advanced playmaker with Son/Chadli as an Inside forward. If Alli is in the middle and Eriksen is out wide then play Alli as an attacking midfielder or possibly shadow striker if you want him closer to Kane and play Eriksen as AP(s) out wide.

I would also consider playing Lamela as AP(s) on the right wing although he does work equally as well in the IF(s) role.

With Spurs you can rotate and change roles a lot as you can put Alli or Mason in the middle over Dembele. Or have Bentaleb over Dier. Set up plenty of friendlies at the start of the season to try the tactic out and see what roles work best.

11 key passes for the team? I'm ****** if my AMC makes less than that a game lol

ive also been inspired by Poch, regarding your midfield iwent for a HB for Dier B2B for Dembele and Roaming playmaker for alli. with Eriksen as an AM on Attack.