Pompey hope loan will pay wages

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Portsmouth's players and staff should receive their December wages early next week - if the club's owners can secure a short-term loan.

More...

Who gives a **** about the player's wages, what about the actual club's security. Too much money in football.

Looks like Portsmouth will be out of business in the near future. I'ts a shame but it will benefit West Ham in the long run.

This is the second time thtat this has happened this season! They deserved to be payed as they are working really hard to get out of the relegation zone, which is better than when some players don't try as hard when theier team are down there.

It's a horrible thing to watch now, unless something miraculous happens, I'm afraid it's probably only a matter of time before we see Pompy fall.

Who gives a **** about the player's wages, what about the actual club's security. Too much money in football.

Don't think anyone would hold that view if it was, say, a bookstore, or Diagio brewers.

This is the second time thtat this has happened this season! They deserved to be payed as they are working really hard to get out of the relegation zone, which is better than when some players don't try as hard when theier team are down there.

Very fair and valid point. ;)

It's a horrible thing to watch now, unless something miraculous happens, I'm afraid it's probably only a matter of time before we see Pompy fall.

Aah, the eternal optimist..... :P :)

pompey will go down this season and its a shame on the fans. they have a bit-part side with the exclusions of a few. i hate to say it but if pompey are not carefull they could even follow fellow rivals southampton and what happend to them. the trap door is open but has not been shut yet the board need to act and NOW.

Same old story tbh
They come in saying they have millions and can't wait to help pompy and turn out to be broke fools. I gotta give it to the fans who have hung in all these years but they deserve so much better. As for the pompy team, SO WHAT? your not getting paid for a while and if you don't up it I don't fink you will ever get payed going down to championship it's no excuse for their results. Im afraid to say but its a matter of time before pompy get relegated and once they do they won't be coming back..for a while.

Yes there is too much money in Football but these lads sign contracts, wages should be paid. Best of luck to Pompey though, nice club that deserve to be in the Prem.

If I was a footballer on that amount of money, I could easily sacrifice a couple of weeks wages for the long term security of the club. In the end, they will probably benefit as they have a club paying their wages in the end.

Yeah it is sad that some players cannot handle their 10K a week being delayed a few days.

The players don't give a **** apart from a few that play for the badge. Most of them don't care, as long as they get their wage packet. It's disgusting and a disgrace to the game.

Exactly. Some of these players are on £30,000 a week or more. They get huge bonuses for playing matches and they get sponsorship deals. It is appalling that some players have enough shame to moan when there are people out there who actually need the money.

Trust me.

You hear about how agents look after the players ands its rather sickening, agents being called up to arrange a plumber to come fix the players toilet and so on, it's a joke. Some of these lads have no idea what real life is like because they're wrapped up in so much cotton wool. It's quite sad really.

Problem is the club essentially mortgaged it's future by buying top players and paying high end wages using loans offset against future revenue (based on gates from the "new" ground and tv).

This is unsustainable, just think how on earth do you pay wages of £80k (Crouch) and £100k (Diarra), amongst others, when you don't get gates much higher than 20,000?

Look below the FA Cup victory and 7th place finish and Gaydamak's tenure as owner/chairman was a farce. The new owners don't want to pump huge sums into a hole in the ground for no return and I don't blame them.

I wish I could say I see it all turning around in the near future, but I don't. Rumour has it that the inland Revenue have served the club with a winding up petition. If we do go into administration then one wonders how we'll sell the club when Newcastle and Liverpool can't find buyers in an unstable market.

Come on... Pay up Pompey! :'(

They talk a load of **** as well, "I'm not enjoying me football", no what you're trying to say is you want to move clubs because you're not enjoying your wages.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pompey are a Premier League club and a good one too. If the players, manager and staff all pulled together, Portsmouth would soon be paying wages again and they would have a much better chance of staying up.

They talk a load of **** as well, "I'm not enjoying me football", no what you're trying to say is you want to move clubs because you're not enjoying your wages.

Trust me.

You hear about how agents look after the players ands its rather sickening, agents being called up to arrange a plumber to come fix the players toilet and so on, it's a joke. Some of these lads have no idea what real life is like because they're wrapped up in so much cotton wool. It's quite sad really.

Exactly. Some of these players are on £30,000 a week or more. They get huge bonuses for playing matches and they get sponsorship deals. It is appalling that some players have enough shame to moan when there are people out there who actually need the money.

The players don't give a **** apart from a few that play for the badge. Most of them don't care, as long as they get their wage packet. It's disgusting and a disgrace to the game.

Yeah it is sad that some players cannot handle their 10K a week being delayed a few days.

If I was a footballer on that amount of money, I could easily sacrifice a couple of weeks wages for the long term security of the club. In the end, they will probably benefit as they have a club paying their wages in the end.

I know what you guys are saying but trust me, if it were your wages not paid on time... whether it was £500 or £50k you wouldn't like it. To be fair I haven't heard too much complaining and last time around Jamie O'Hara actually put his hand in his pocket to help out his team mates (he's paid by spurs!)

We've also seen the lads turn in some good performances despite results, against Liverpool they were great. When you earn £1000 a month, your mortgage might be £500-600 a month but when you earn £20000 a month, your mortgage might be £5000-6000 a month and the bank still want their money! It's all about economys of scale. ;)

I see what you are saying but they probably have a million or so packed away in the account. (ones on higher wages) I can understand youth players who live on their own but not the players on higher wages.

I see what you;re saying Dan but at the end of the day these lads could be a ******* lot worse off lol.

Back