Pompey permitted to sell players

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Portsmouth are given special permission by the Premier League to sell players outside of the transfer window to ease their financial crisis.

More...

The beginning of the end of the transfer window?

I can't see many players wanting to move. If signed players can't play til next season, who's gona want to leave and then not play for 5 months? Especially with Pompey still in the FA Cup and WC places up for grabs.

Also don't think they should be allowed to sell anyway.

Nah they sell them and then come back for the remainder of the season on loan back to Portsmouth.

hmm the article didn't say that, so I wasn't sure. Fair enough if that's the case tho, but it's still a poor decision imo.

I don't see the point in this, Portsmouth probably won't even sell, the rules surrounding this are stupid..

1. Players may be sold to other Premier League Clubs but may not play first team football for the new club before the end of the season.

2. Players may be sold to a Football League or foreign club, subject to Fifa's approval.

3. Portsmouth FC may enter into an agreement with another Premier League, Football League or foreign club that a player will be transferred to that other club in the summer.

Also if Pompey can do this why can't everyone? transfer windows are ***** anyway, just get rid of them.

Plus Championship Manager games with no transfer window were so much more fun :)

Last edited:
they could have made deals to sell now anyway, and the player wouldn't have left til the end of the season. all they had to do was ask for dispensation from the FA and buying club for a percentage of the cash early. that makes more sense to me than this.

I can see Belhadj going to Roma who he's been linked with lately.

Also I hope Boateng leaves as he is a waste of wages whilst he's in Germany.

60M in debt. I'm not being funny, but the most they could get for a player is maybe over 5 million if they are lucky with Belhadj.

What a stupid rule! This is there own mess.
Why can't we do that, why not Chester?
Stupid.

They shouldn't be allowed to sell player's because it means another team is buying.What if Hull bought Boateng, for example,and he scored the winning goal in the last game of the season to keep us up.What if that goal kept us up but sent another team down.The team going down wouldn't be happy would they?

60M in debt. I'm not being funny, but the most they could get for a player is maybe over 5 million if they are lucky with Belhadj.

i think the idea is for them. to be able to pay immediate payments due, like wages, ect

pointless news this, i can't see anyone signing Branko Tosic or Ricardo Rocha

If Pompey can do this why can't any team?!

It basically contradicts the point of the transfer window.

pointless news this, i can't see anyone signing Branko Tosic or Ricardo Rocha
Shame his name is Dusko Tosic and he was released when we went into administration. Funnily enough we have other players apart from those two who are ****.

And in response to FFT's comment, it's not pointless for us, no matter how much debt we're in, lowering it is the main objective, and that is what we'll do by selling players.

This does contradict the rules, but no other team is in a situation like this at the moment are they?

Although I agree that Chester should of been able to do that, but they wouldn't of got barely any money for their players, it's different with us as we have 2 or 3 good players that can be sold for some good cash, whereas Chester wouldn't of got any good money I doubt.

If Pompey can do this why can't any team?!

It basically contradicts the point of the transfer window.

You can Josh, Go into adminstration. Lose 9 points. then you can sell until your heart is content.

Back