Pompey - Return to the Glory Days

harrisondunks

Reaction score
1591627990090.png

So after numerous times of trying I'm going to attempt to take my beloved Pompey back to the glory days. I'm going to run this save doing quite a lot of things differently (scouting more, promoting younger players, signing young players for first team and overhauling my staff), almost like what I would do if I was actually in charge - or certainly how I'd like too! Will update at the end of the transfer window with some of my changes, tactics & some results too. Up the Blues.

1591638467929.png

Not a perfect pre-season by any means. Challenged the side to a few world class sides and a few on similar ability. Despite the results not all being great we didn't really disgrace ourselves at any stage against the big boys. Some new signings bedding into the side and the full squad (players that are not injured!) are all now fully fit. Only the one signing that I have made and that is securing Matty Longstaff on a season long loan which I'm pleased with. We nearly ended up with Darren Fletcher on a very reasonable one year contract, but decided for Matty instead as wages were practically zero (well reported!), and thought he would fit in well with the side. Have loaned out a few of the youngsters to get some game time and will assess how they get on by viewing their match reports. First game is about to get underway against Shrewsbury. Looking forward to seeing how we start the season, hoping for a positive first month of performances and results.

1591638759570.png

So, pretty delighted with that start to the season. After 7 games we sit in a fairly comfortable 3rd position, and I think we've had a few tough games in there too. Was disappointed to lose against Blackpool, we missed big chances towards the end of the game especially. Also really frustrated to lose against Southend in the cup. I perhaps made a few too many changes for that game but felt it was a really winnable game. Despite dominating possession and the shot count we just weren't clinical in front of foal. Really disappointing especially after the great performance and result against Championship opposition in the first round. Only the one other signing has been made in the window, the loan signing of United youngster Brandon Williams. He can play full back either side which I felt we were a little short in. Despite having numbers and depth in these positions, I felt a lack of quality in that department and wanted to sure it up. As well as this it seems to be a fairly injury prone position for our players so wanted to make sure we had enough players competent of playing there as we move forward. We tried desperately to sign Leif Davis from Leeds permanently but couldn't quite follow through with the funds.

Happy to secure the extra point against West Ham U23'S with a win on pens. Going to hopefully try and retain our Checkatrade title - more for the income we can potentially receive through the Wembley trip, and the small financial gains you get from winning the fixtures if nothing else. Ill play another month or so and update again. Play Up Pompey.
1591719930833.png

Well, its fair to say since the last update things have gone off script! We've had a few awful results and I have absolutely no idea what happened at Doncaster. Whilst the stats weren't as bad as the initial scoreline suggests, the result left em totally furious. My forwards have barely scored yet, luckily Ronan Curtis has bailed us out on a few separate occasions. Marquis and Harrison have really struggled so far, and with academy product Harry Anderson the next best bet, I've taken a little risk and offered him a wee bit of game time, although if form continues ill be adding to January's shopping list. Below is the fixtures played and the table, and whilst we are still there or there abouts our form needs to turn, and sharpish, especially if Wycombe and Blackpool continue their form. Update soon!

1591972494454.png

Haven't managed to play too much recently but back on board today. Have played all the way to the end of December, results and table below. Finally managed to get some form back together. Was scarily given an ultimatum before the Checkatrade game with Peterborough, win or be sacked! Luckily we managed to beat them for the first time this season. Since then we've done pretty well and managed to pick up some great results and key points. Into the 3rd round of the Checkatrade Trophy, hoping to make it to Wembley. Went down to 14th at one stage, and although wasn't too many points away from the play offs the pressure was definitely on. A change of formation between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 and the introduction of Ben Close has certainly helped. That as well as the return of Academy product Jack Whatmough at center half.

1593357504887.png

1593357575994.png

As I said, a great December which hopefully rolls on into the new year. Will be looking into the transfer market to hopefully improve the side, and look towards targets for next season, hopefully in the Championship. PUP.

Attachments

• 1591972514585.png
    1591972514585.png
    602.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Good luck mate. Enjoyed our real life battles over the last couple of years and always enjoy a trip to Fratton Park.

Good luck mate. Enjoyed our real life battles over the last couple of years and always enjoy a trip to Fratton Park.

Thanks mate. It's developed into quite an intense few fixtures, eh? Congrats on promotion, although hopefully we won't have to play you next year!