Poor shot conversion Ratio

Vyvernn

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm trying to figure out why I'm not scoring goals.. so my defence is solid, i play 5-1-3-1

My team:

Sw su:
Alisson (4 1/2 star)

3xBPD De:
Declan Rice (4 star)
Van Dijk (4 star)
Joe Gomez (4 star)
Davinson Sanchez (4 star)
Eder Militao (3 star)

IWB Left Su:
Joshua Kimmich(3 star)
Robertson ( 2 1/2 star)

IWB Right Su:
Alexander-Arnold ( 3 star)
Kimmich (3 star)
Militao ( 2 1/2 star)

BWM De:
Ascacibar (4 star)
Keita (3 1/2 star)

Winger Left Su:
Brandt (4 star)
Pavon (4 star)
Mane ( 3 1/2 star)

SS At:
Dybala (4 1/2 star)
Alli (4 star)
Firmino (3 1/2 star)

IF Right At:
Salah (4 1/2 star)
Mane (4 star)
Brandt (3 1/2 star)
Pavon (3 1/2 star)

PF At:
Firmino (4 star)
Dybala (4 star)
Martinez (3 1/2 star)

So my idea behind this, Solid back line with 3 defenders, 2 IWB to congest midfield so my gegen press tactic works, 1 BWM to mop up any balls in front of the defence. Pressing forward to.. well.. press the back line and win the ball, shadow striker, or inside forward then run in for the through ball, shadow striker waiting around to press/ look for opportunities to attack in midfield, take advantage of the space the pressing forward is opening up, IF to make through balls and cut in, winger to cross and take it wide.

My tactics are:

Custom Control Possession
Positive

In possession:

• Much shorter passing
  • Play out of Defence
  • Dribble Less
  • Work Ball into Box
  • Much Higher Tempo
In Transition:

• Roll it out
  • Counter
  • Counter-Press
Out of possession:

• Defend Narrower
  • Much Higher Defensive Line
  • Much higher line of Engagement
  • More Urgent
  • Prevent short GK distribution
  • Get stuck in
  • Use tighter marking
  • Use Offside trap
Is there anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I am not a tactical expert on FM, but I think that maybe you have too many Team Instructions. I would start with zero Team Instructions, and then add them as required. I got sacked as Norwich manager for making the same mistake. I added too many Team Instructions, and that caused my tactic to be one-dimensional, and therefore predictable. Having less Team Instructions might make your tactic more 'random' in terms of chance creation, and therefore making it difficult for the opposition to adapt.

Agree with Cookie.

Its not REALLY a gegenpress. In defending and transition it is, but the attacking Team Instructions are a bit muddled. The general application of the gegenpress is about lightning fast attacks, and playing a possession game isnt' really that. Even at an upped tempo. But combing retaining possession as an aim and high tempo is a bit contradictory. Or more accurately, hard to pull of. You are asking your players to hold onto the ball, but asking them to do it very quickly and then also restricting their passing options but demanding short passing.

Simplest solution is pretty much what Cookie is saying - drop the Team Instructions. See how it plays with none of those. Then gradually add them back as necessary to mold the style of play. Team Instructions are not necessary for a tactic to function and they tend to take things to extremes, which isn't always a positive.

In terms of the thread title... shot-conversion can be a few different issues at play. Simplest option is teams parking the bus, meaning its harder to create space to have good shooting opportunities. It could be players taking poor shots due to decision-making or, more likely, lack of available options around them (impacted by the short passing instructions). The only way to be sure is to be attentive while watching matches. If its parked buses and too many bodies, you need to find solutions, such as making better use of your width (so IWBs could be an issue) and more movement.

Last edited:
I would personally change your right inverted wing back to a standard wing back attack, to get on the overlap of your inside forward. You sound like you have no width with both players cutting into a congested central area. I would also change left wing to attack and your inverted wing back keep on support and that will work better also.

Last edited:
Yes, agree with above really, it seems like its very inside based and congested as you stated which for a team who are most likely going to be favourites to win each match is not going to work in your favour as most teams will play cautious and sit in defend their box and clogg the midfield thus meaning your players may control the game from the half way line but end up shooting a lot from distance. Bringing in width may be the key, wing backs, wingers etc

also tighter marking for a team with most of the possesion is more likely to force your players closer to opposition markers, take this off and let your players look for space without restriction

Last edited: