TomWBAFC

Reaction score
Hi Guys, My names Thomas Howell I am fairly new to posting on these forums and this is my very first story.

So bare with me haha.

I've decided as a manager to take on the Portsmouth job after the it became
available, i feel the club as so much to give and obviously as many people will know the huge decline in the footballing world that nearly saw them disappear from english football all together. I plan to take the famous POMPEY back to the Premier League and i hope as many of you follow my story as possible.

I have already gotten half way through the season before deciding that i was going to take on this journey with you guys, so I will go through an in depth analysis of my season to date, signings, results etc.

I hope you all enjoy this story and any constructive criticism will be accepted.

SO LETS BEGIN.....

Portsmouth FC

View attachment 141115

View attachment 141114

​​

Last edited:
So to bring you all up to date with my season so far, i will show transfers, my squad, injuries and results etc.

So before i started with tactics, training and obviously pre season i started by analyzing the squad i had infront of me and its safe to say i was impressed, quality young players with talent that could see them come up the leagues with me, mixed with bags of experience and a couple of loan signings. I still felt like i needed to strengthen a few areas, i was pleased with the outcome didn't really need to offload many players and a couple of loan players, free agents and one £30,000 transfer later I was ready to start building my squad that was going to take me up to league 1.

View attachment 141112 View attachment 141111

View attachment 141110

So Calvet was my first signing, his stats suggested he was going to be a strong aggressive defender which is exactly what i need to bolster my defence to fight off the tough challenge of League 2, and considering it was for a cool £0 I was delighted with this great signing.

So next are three loan signings.

View attachment 141109

So then came Joe Rothwell, United became a parent club and he was one of the players they were offering and it was a no brainer at first glance i knew he had the ability to be a great player for me in the Centre of my midfield, a young player with great passing and technical abilities, something you'd come to expect considering hes been brought up by United.

View attachment 141108

Then came Jack Dunn, a young player with bags of potential on the books with Liverpool FC.
he has been a key player in my squad as you can see hes flexible in a couple of positions which really is a bonus for me and my squad. great player and would recommend to anyone.

View attachment 141107

Then came this beast, as a short stay from Jerome sinclair came to end as i was unhappy with his pre season and then getting a bad injury two games in i was quick to terminate his loan contract, which is where i came across this gem, on the books with Derby county a 20 year old spanish pacey Striker/Winger with a keen eye for goal and bags of potential. I didnt have to think twice about signing him on loan for the season.

View attachment 141106

Remember the name Ivan Calero ;)

View attachment 141105

Then came the £30k signing from Hume city in Australia, he was recommended one of my scouts and i was quick to sign him up and put him straight into my first team. very confident with his abilities as a GK.

My Squad

View attachment 141104

View attachment 141103

As of now this is my main starting 11 and formation, quick attacking football, great possession and players being able to fill in different positions when needed, its a fairly young and talented squad, apart from the odd couple, Tubbs being one of them at the age of 31 hes still banging in the goals. with Stevens having premier league experience with Aston Villa and Webster a young talented CB with bags of potential who I'm pretty sure will be in my squad as we rise through the leagues. Burgess as the experience of league 1 so also another player that should be with me for the next couple of seasons. Freeman and mcnulty both players who were already on loan at the club, both great players mcnulty is often on the scoresheet and freeman is a savage FB/WB with a fair few assists and a couple of goals to his name will be hoping to sign him in the near future.

On to the bench and Injured players

View attachment 141102

a very strong Bench with young players aswell as bags of experience giving me plenty of options when i need to switch things up. Kyle bennett who is a Key player in my Squad currently out with a Dislocated shoulder for 3 months :(

so there we have it a quick but in depth analysis of my squad so far. I will continue over the next couple of days the first half of my season.

Hope its enjoyable so far and any constructive criticism would be nice.

UP THE POMPEY!

View attachment 141101

Great stuff hopefully you can bring them into the PL soon!

View attachment 141086

Results
Same again just going go through the games I've played so far and where I'm at in my league 2 campaign with Pompey.

Pre-Season

View attachment 141085

So my pre season started off slowly with 3 draws, but has soon as i had tweaked a few things and my players started to gel and their fitness and match sharpness got better so did the performances, it left me feeling confident leading into the start of my first season with Pompey.

August Results

View attachment 141083

So my time at portsmouth took off and i think its safe to say it was a very strong start, a loss in the 1st round of the Capital one cup to a strong championship side was probably expected and apart from dropping 2 points away to Plymouth(Which btw took a very special free kick from them to ****** the point haha) but has i said great start and very happy with the way my team were playing.

September Results

View attachment 141082

So the start of September saw move into the next round of JPT and with only 4 points dropped to Barnet & Oxford still undefeated. Playing confidently atm cant really see many teams in this division causing much damage and I'm confident my team will continue to slay teams left right and centre.

October Results

View attachment 141081

October saw my form continue, moving into the next round of the JPT and only dropping points to a 3-3 draw with cambridge which proved my defence can still switch off at times but nothing I'm worried about has the end of month finished off with 3 pretty solid wins against teams there were round me so was very pleased with that and obviously a nice lead at the top of table was forming.

November Results

View attachment 141080

And the form continues, I really am so happy with the squad and the way they are playing, i really think as of now my team would be a good league 1 side. great results again through out all competitions getting through to round 2 of the FA Cup, and an Impressive 3-0 whitewash against Southend who are 2nd in League 1. A draw against Carlisle was the only game i saw my team drop any points.

December Results so far

View attachment 141076

So not having finished the whole of december yet these are the 3 results so far, coming from behind to beat Newport 3-1 to make it through to Round 3 of the FA cup and, ANOTHER white wash against a league 1 side in the play offs saw me go through to the JPT South Finals. :D and so far this month a cool 3 pts added to my so far rampant season.

League Standings as of now

View attachment 141075

So I'm 10 points clear of 2nd and 17 points clear of 4th place, i think its safe to say i will most likely be a league 1 side next season and it would take something of a miracle to stop me.

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 141074

Flying into 2016

View attachment 140903

Saturday 19th December 2015

View attachment 140902

A comfortable win against Northampton, with Christian Burgess's 1st goal of the season from a set piece, and then the main man himself Ivan Calero came along and added insult to injury with a nice brace to continue is great goal scoring season.

Saturday 26th December 2015

View attachment 140900

Dropped points in what was a very disappointing game, dominated possession and 20+ shots on goal, ended up 1-0 down early on, but Joe Rothwell equalized with a 30+ yard screamer to give us a point.

Monday 28th December 2015

View attachment 140898

So this being our 2nd game within 3 days and having a few tired players i decided to go with a 4-4-1-1 and keep men behind the ball and use a counter attacking approach and it paid off, a great performance and a nice 3 points to round off 2015.

View attachment 140897

The League table at the end of 2015, absolutely killing this league, 11 pts clear of 2nd place!

Transfers

Ins

View attachment 140846

Incomes the Experienced 26 year old Simon eastwood, for a small fee of 50k, will see how he goes over a few games before i decide to make him my number 1 over Chris Oldfield.

View attachment 140896

Incomes new signing Dean Bowditch for a fee of £165k from MK dons, quality player with bags of experience.

Outs

View attachment 140891

Out goes Kal Naismigh for 95k, didnt really impress so best thing was for him to go, and ross county offered the best amount i was probably gonna get for him.

Injury List

View attachment 140884

Onto 2016 now and hopefully i can continue the form and get a decent FA cup run and maybe bring home the JPT Trophy.

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 140883

Last edited:
And A New Year Begins!

View attachment 140665

View attachment 140675

View attachment 140603

Saturday 2nd January 2016

View attachment 140602

Great Performance from the team, was game set and match by half time with a nice hat trick from Matt Tubbs. And Calero also joining in on this rampant win.

Saturday 9th January 2016

View attachment 140671

View attachment 140598

Nothing much happened in this game, apart from two teams defending for 90 minutes.

Wednesday 13th January 2016

View attachment 140673

View attachment 140597

1st leg of the JPT South finals took a slow start, it took until the 60th minute for the league 1 side to get ahead, scoring two goals within 8 minutes, was really disappointed to have defended so well then let 2 quick goals in. so changed from my 4411 counter attack approach to my usual attacking 424 to try and get myself back in the game for 2nd leg and thanks to calero in the 80th minute we did just that.

Wednesday 20th January 2016

View attachment 140671

View attachment 140596

The FA Cup 3rd round replay, What can i say? a spirited performance from the lads has they took the lead just before HT to be pegged back with 20 minutes to go but that didn't dent there pride they kept pushing and forced a mistake early on in extra time to progress into the 4th around against championship leaders Derby

Saturday 23rd January 2016
View attachment 140675
View attachment 140674

Another great result and still unbeaten, Rothwell getting us off the mark early on, completely controlled the game from then on Oxford never really had a chance once we scored so early.

Wednesday 27th January 2016

View attachment 140673

View attachment 140672

Outstanding! another league 1 team crushed, as we cruised into the JPT Final at Wembley Against Another league 1 side Bury. First Trophy to my name maybe?

Saturday 30th January 2016

View attachment 140671

View attachment 140670

GUTTED! We took a well deserved early lead, Derby came back once a missed penalty rebounded back into the path of Martin for him to slot it home. We kept possession well but couldn't find an opening and Derby took the one chance that mattered to send us crashing!

Tuesday 2nd February 2016
View attachment 140675

View attachment 140669

After a very jam packed month players were tired and looking fatigued which showed, but new boy Bowditch scored his 1st goal for the club, which gave us all 3 points!

League Standings At The Start Of February

View attachment 140666

Unbelievable! Targets set by the board at the start of the season was to make the Play offs, but we've really been a class above the rest. 19 points clear of 4th with a game in hand. League 1 is in the distance and were arriving in style!

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 140665

Last edited:
theres a problem with the last post with a few of the screen shots and logos added so just click the attachment to see.

Another Dominant Month!

View attachment 140287

View attachment 140230

Saturday 6th February 2016

View attachment 140286
View attachment 140285

A another clean sheet and 3 points, one step closer to securing promotion to league 1, Starting to feel like my Pompey team is to good for this league and records will most likely be broken!

Tuesday 9th February 2016
View attachment 140286
View attachment 140284

So a visit to the famous Accrington Stanley on a freezing midweek night, which turned out to be a game with not much action, Kyle Bennett gave us the lead early on in the 2nd half giving us all 3 points.

Saturday 13th February 2016
View attachment 140286
View attachment 140282

Bristol Rovers came with hope of giving us our first loss, and a game that wasnt really dominated by either side finished with what was probably the fair result with Chris Burgess pouncing on a loose ball in the 6 yard box from a corner kick to score what was the last goal of the game and a boring 1 - 1 draw. None the less another point towards league 1.

Wednesday 17th February 2016

View attachment 140286
View attachment 140281

A slightly better performance from the lads away to Barnet but for the 4th time this season Doyle got himself sent off but thankfully Rothwell finished it off in the last minute to make it 2 - 0 , But the home side didn't want to give up that easily, luckily for me it was the last kick of the game.

Saturday 20th February 2016
View attachment 140286
View attachment 140279

Another 3 points but not alot to shout about other than my team showing they deserve the league 2 title, even when they under perform, they find away to win the game!

Saturday 27th February 2016
View attachment 140286
View attachment 140278
View attachment 140277

Another fairly even game, but yet again as we have done so many times this season we came back from 1 - 0 down to take all 3 points. Oh and a fine because my team hasn't got no chill! haha

League Standings at the end of February

View attachment 140274

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 140287

Last edited:
March Updates

View attachment 140057

Another solid month but suffered our first defeat of the season!

Tuesday 1st March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140055

What an Unbelievable game, conceded a penalty in the 83rd what as looking like the first loss of the seaon. But the boys didn't give up they kept pushing and 2 minutes later Ben Close who gave away the penalty hit a ball from inside the box which cannoned off the post and in of the keeper. 3 minutes later and Ben Davies took some David Beckham type inspiration as he curled a right footed free kick up and over the wall into the top corner to give us all 3 points to secure our play off places.

View attachment 140047

Saturday 5th March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140046
So in a game that if we won promotion to league 1 was done and another 3 points away from winning the league, and we did just that, conceding goals left right and center in the last few games though which is something i has a manager need to address. WERE GOING UP WERE GOING UP WERE GOING!

Saturday 12th March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140045

Another 2 goals conceded in the later stages of the game being 2 - 0 and surely thinking the title is wrapped up, Newport had other plans though and that was to spoil the party and make us wait!

Saturday 19th March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140044

CHAMPIONES CHAMPIONES Ole Ole Ole! Made it hard for ourselves again taking the lead twice and being pegged back twice. a rampant 11 minutes and a Matty Tubbs hat trick saw us take the points and the league 2 Trophy!

View attachment 140041

The board announce new Transfer and wage budget for the next transfer window, absolutely buzzing wasn't expecting to be given so much to spend in league 1!

View attachment 140040

Friday 25th March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140039
Nothing to say about this one, gutted we couldn't go all season with out a loss but thats football for you and avoided a loss a good few times through the season with the great squad battling from start to finish.

Monday 28th March 2016

View attachment 140056
View attachment 140038

Back to winning ways and in great pompey fashion! kept possession well and was CLINICAL infront of goal, Wins like this shows why we won the league with such ease! THE SQUAD OOZES CLASS!

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 140058

Famous Accrington Stanley? I'm inclined to disagree :p. Great season though. GL in League 1!

Famous Accrington Stanley? I'm inclined to disagree :p. Great season though. GL in League 1!

'Accrington Stanley!, who are they?

'Exactly'

haha and cheers pal just got finish off the update for my league2 season. Already 4 games into league 1!

April Updates

View attachment 139734

View attachment 139733

View attachment 139732

Sunday 3rd April 2016

View attachment 139730

View attachment 139729

JPT CHAMPIONS, another league 1 team taken apart and it took the last 15 minutes of the 1st half for bury to dead and buried. great performance from the lads! No messing about.

View attachment 139692

Saturday 9th April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139727

Disappointing game, and i let the boys know! drawing 0-0 to bottom of the league just isnt acceptable we were poor all game.

Tuesday 12th April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139726

Another 3 points in the bag, But left it late when Gary Roberts took his chance with 10 minutes to go!

Saturday 16th April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139724

A 1 - 1 draw, with not alot to shout about Calero snatching a goal late on, which only lasted 9 minutes to Carey strike. probably the fair result on the whole and better than a loss.

Tuesday 19th April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139723

Matt Tubbs opening the game up with a first minute goal, but somehow the game died down literally straight and nothing else happened for anybody to get excited about, Another 3 points on the road though and still unbeaten away.

Saturday 23rd April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139715

ANOTHER Boring first half, Mcnulty manages to break the deadlock with half hour left, but once again another late goal from Wycombe and another draw for this month!

Saturday 30th April 2016

View attachment 139733
View attachment 139704

Mcnulty getting the one and only goal of another game with no real life to it! The boys are already on holiday in their heads. haha

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 139734

Last edited:
Final Game Of The Season!

View attachment 139659

View attachment 139658

A great end to the season, Gutted for Calero as another goal would of won him the golden boot but hey ho thats football and he had a cracking season, same goes for Mcnulty and Bennett, both have been a major part of this title winning season! Go on the LADS!

View attachment 139645

So here we have it the end result of what has been a FINE season, Every player in this squad should be proud of their achievements. Outstanding from start to finish, Broke the record for most points in a season by 5 points and a MASSIVE 36 points infront of 4th place! Onto the next challenge and who knows maybe back to back promotions?

View attachment 139643

View attachment 139642

Joe Rothwell clearly standing out, even after Calero scoring 27 goals and Matt Tubbs getting 25. What a player Controlled most games and battled for every ball, a season i will never forget!

Theres only oneee Joe Rothwell!

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 139641

Ok Guys, so thats my first season in charge with Portsmouth complete and its been a great one! Bring on League 1 and the challenge of getting back to back promotions. - Back On The RISE!

The Start Of A New Season!

View attachment 138610

View attachment 138608

Expectations from the board for this season are a mid table finish, i feel the squad and the players i've bought in can push for play-offs up to even winning the league 1 title. COME ON BOYS!

Transfers In/Out

View attachment 138607

Both Kieron Freeman and Marc Mcnulty were both already on loan at the club from sheff united when i took over at the start of last season, they were both class all season so snapping them both up on a permanent basis was a main priority!

View attachment 138606

_________________________________________________________________________________

View attachment 138605

Jack Dunn, Ivan Calero and Joe Rothwell have all been signed on loan again until he end of the season, i saw something in Jack Dunn that made me want to give him another chance!

Key Players Signed During League 1 Transfer Window

View attachment 138618

Signed John Fleck on a free after he refused to sign a new contract at Coventry, great bit of business as im pretty sure hes going to be a key player for me this season has he can play CAM, CM and CDM.

View attachment 138617

Sam Mantom was a last minute signing, as he had already played a couple of games for his previous club walsall, was really please with this signing hes a player, fairly young but alot of experience at this level and is a good player for most championship sides.

View attachment 138616

Guillermo Valera another United loanee, as soon as i spotted that he was up for loan i wasted no time in get the deal done for a season long loan.

View attachment 138615

Andreas Pereira, another great young prospect from united that i wasted no time in getting on a long season loan, with great flair and attacking abilities, also being able to hit free kicks and long shots. I was very pleased with this.

Formations

View attachment 138614

4-5-1 Wide

This is my main formation/tactic that i use, this allows to me to pack out the midfield keeping men behind the ball, controlling tempo and possession but with the intention of getting it forward quickly and smoothly and attacking the flanks with the FB/WB's looking for the overlaps.

View attachment 138613

4-2-3-1 Wide
This is my attacking formation/tactic, mainly used against weaker sides or if im chasing a game, getting the ball foward and players going forward all the time with the FBs/WBs getting forward also looking for overlaps to whip them crosses in.

View attachment 138612

4-4-2 Wide

Not really a formation/tactic i've used this season compared to using it in league 2 but its another attack minded formation with 2 strikes up top with both wings looking to get forward at all times.

Pre-Season

View attachment 138611

So pre-season got off to a good start but the last few games wernt to good, looking at them as games for fitness rather than how we played, hoping we could shake it off before we faced our first league 1 opponent.

League 1 updates coming soon

View attachment 138608

UP THE POMPEY

View attachment 138610

Last edited:
A dream of back to back promotions?

View attachment 138100

View attachment 138104

So with most of pre season covered, friendlies, transfers, tactics etc we go to the start of what is hopefully a great season and with expectations in place by the club to finish mid table we hope we can go beyond that and get atleast a play-of finish, i fully believe the team i have is a side that can win league 1 and even battle it out in the championship!

View attachment 138099

Friday 5th August 2016

View attachment 138098

Start of my first league 1 game got off to a bad start when Billy Sharp scored with only 4 minutes played. the lads battled on and a great response 8 minutes later when new signing Fleck made it 1 - 1. and new loanee signing pereira got the winner early in the 2nd half which gave me and the lads our first 3 pts in league 1.

Tuesday 9th August 2016
View attachment 138107
View attachment 138106

The draw comes out and we get drawn away to the wolves (slap a dingle) haha, we take a lead through ben close but couldnt hold on and wolves just edged what was a pretty close match. Not to disheartened about this one we played well. on to the next!

Saturday 13th August 2016

View attachment 138104
View attachment 138105

Back to winning ways in the league and its 2 in 2 in my first league 1 season and it was thanks to Jack Dunn and a Marc Mcnulty!

Tuesday 16th August 2016

View attachment 138104
View attachment 138103

Blackburn started well stayed pretty even throughout but the boys just couldnt break through, Blackburn finished the game off with less than 20 minutes left of the game to give us our first league loss of the season.

Saturday 20th August 2016
View attachment 138104
View attachment 138102
Calero leaves it late for us to kick start his season and grabbed us an all important 3 points away on the road!

Saturday 27th August 2016
View attachment 138104
View attachment 138101

This was a great game, take a 2 - 1 lead with 8 minutes to go baring in mind Careys first goal was awesome no keeper would of saved it. Once again in the 89th minute Carey came up with another worldy to peg us back with a minute plus stoppage time left, Then Marc Mcnulty to the rescue to ****** us 3 points with the last kick of the game! great spirit from the lads!

So has i got through a few games without updating this forum thread, i remembered to print screen everything other than the league table each month up until February 2017 so every body following this thread will have to keep guessing until i get to that update!

View attachment 138100

​UP THE POMPEY!

Last edited: