Reaction score
I have always struggled with posSession based tactics...i am very good at counter-attacking and direct Jupp Heynckes Bayern style..
Is this because I have wingers and attacking mids who dribble a lot?
I'll be happy to know if you can tell me about the basics as well as the finer points of this style... thanks in advance

Just look around there are a lot of discussions about possession based tactics ;)

In terms of TI you generally use things like short passing, low tempo, play out of defense. You can also play with a high defensive line and more pressing + get stuck in ( if need be, I only use the last 2 TI if I feel I don't have enough possession). Instruct your defender to play shorter as well.

In terms of player positioning you must keep in mind what Cruyff said, the triangle always keeps possession over the line. I find that possession tactics need a midfield trio used in a triangle shape ( 1DM + 2CMs/ 2CMs + 1AM etc). 4123/4231 shapes are well suited to possession.

There's no particular issue with wingers dribbling, the only issue is to give your players passing options ( no point for your Memphis Depay to dribble 2 players and have no one to pass to!)