Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
The basis of possession is keeping the ball, and regaining it when it's lost. The best way to achieve this is by playing compact and controlling the middle of the pitch. That means you should have three or four players in the middle, forming a triangle or a diamond. Compactness means you should play things narrow, so players on the left and right side of pitch help midfield retain possession and regain it aswell. You do not need to press more or much more. Pressing is just a circle around your player that determines how far will he go from his position to close down, so if you are making pitch small by pushing up and playing narrow, it does not need to be great. In fact, you don't even need to touch that option, in fm terms. But, possession can overplay to a part when you stop looking for openings and just look for the safest pass. Therefore you must sacrifice some possession to score.

If you are playing things compact, you should use shorter passing and retain possession, so your players always look to keep the ball and pass it to player nearest to them. That means two things. First, tempo should be lower, as width and tempo are linked, and your players should be given time to make the correct pass. Second, space will be hard to find, so your players should preferably roam to find space and interchange positions in a very fluid setup. They should use their creativity to find gaps to exploit, even if it means not doing the tactical plan by the book. Next, they should preferably use the whole pitch to find gaps, and that means not exploiting a single area. Take a breather option will instruct players to do this, and not move without the ball, and drop deep to receive it, which is what you want. If you play things like this, you may want to set proper mentality. And perhaps the best option is standard or control. With control, all players will be slightly more agressive, will make less safer passess, and make more fouls, whilst forwards passing directness will be more direct, so I recommend you use standard instead.

Regarding player roles, you may want to exploit some benefeits your team has, like a tall strong target man, but this is really not a style for that kind of player. So instead, I suggest you use roles that don't do longshots, and work your ball to box. Playing compact also means you will rely on crossess less, so I suggest using roles that dont do crosses. Regarding the midfield, it does not require inventing of hot water. One more advanced player as a playmaker, to create chances further up the pitch, one holding midfielder, and one or two players to connect these two, a box to box or CMs.

Last edited:
Nice guide mate. I used you tika-taka guide for fm14 to great success using a 4-2-4 system. Its not doing so great in the beta tho lol. Will try this later.

Nice guide mate. I used you tika-taka guide for fm14 to great success using a 4-2-4 system. Its not doing so great in the beta tho lol. Will try this later.

I should perhaps add to the guide that possession requires a strong midfield presence, at least 3 players...Cheers!

It's not that I don't believe, I'll certainly give this a try tonight, but do you have any screenshots that show you dominating possession against somewhat equally strong opponents? I tried almost everything, but an average of slighty above 50% was the most possession I could achieve.

It's not that I don't believe, I'll certainly give this a try tonight, but do you have any screenshots that show you dominating possession against somewhat equally strong opponents? I tried almost everything, but an average of slighty above 50% was the most possession I could achieve.

maybe the game isn't patched properly yet? It's still beta....there are plenty of screenies in fm14, and this is a guide from RL perspective, not game. But should work in game too...

Also, the first thing people needs to realize is if you don't have the right players for this type of football then just forget it. Alongside with good technical attributes, good mental attributes are vital to achieve the possession intended, it's not all about tactics, TI and PI. And training ppm is also important. Don't expect to manage Nottingham Forest or something like this and have 70% possession against Man United.
Another issue is creating connections between positions (overlaps), mostly to flow the midfield with players and make opponents go wide and open spaces. The old RFD (Runs from Deep) from FM13 are gone, but support duties are important to achieve this. You don't want also your players dribbling (watch some youtube videos and you'll see Barcelona players passing the ball, short first touch passing or making one-two's). The support duties are also important considering fluidity: attacking players are needed to drop deep when defending if possession is not recovered high in pitch, so with fluid or very fluid an attacking player will do just this. It's the possible solution because FM lacks a basic concept in football: different team behavior with and without the ball which doesn't allow, for example, to apply the 6 second rule.

As for this excellent help from Igneos79, I just have doubts regarding the Standard mentality, it's something I have always looked as neither being meat or fish :), so I usually go for Counter mentality or Control.

I should perhaps add to the guide that possession requires a strong midfield presence, at least 3 players...Cheers!

Can you recommend a good triangle of players that would make this work? I'm doing it with United and mine would probably be Strootman Rooney Thiago / Jones Mata Herrera would any of those combinations suffice?

Can you recommend a good triangle of players that would make this work? I'm doing it with United and mine would probably be Strootman Rooney Thiago / Jones Mata Herrera would any of those combinations suffice?

I usually don't look at players, and what they are capable of. I usually look at tactical design. And I have no idea about players....for barcelona, busquets or mascherano as holding, xavi as cms to connect, and iniesta as adv play. If you're looking for reversed triangle, it would be almost the same, except holding mid would have to be in cm position, a CMd, or bwmd (not that good, as agressors usually close down to much) and adv play at amc position...

Sorry I'm not of much help, I don't watch football nor do I support any team, I'm just a gamer...

Last edited:
What roles do you give your stricker and defensive midfielders?