Bpanther

Reaction score
although I have just won a domestic treble with Man United the Board and fans are annoyed that I haven't played possession football, besides retain possession what over touchline instructions and team instructions shall I use in order to shut them up

I could do with an answer to this one as well! It's tricky when you're winning but still not achieving the possession football criteria.

Try lowering your mentality (say from attacking to control) and using shorter passing

4-5-1

Team Instructions-Shorter passing. pass in to space. lower tempo.
Balanced Control

I use this for Aston Villa and i have around 50-65 percent of possesion most games but even better with a big team.

Thanks guys, I will give these a try and see what happens.

In the meantime, I got offered a new contract and managed to negotiate the original 'play possession football' cause out of it anyway, so it's less of an issue!

Still would be good to control the game a bit more though.

gen010.png

Mentality very fluid and attacking or even overload

gen010.png

Mentality very fluid and attacking or even overload

If you want to play a possession style, u shouln´t use "Run at Defence" instruction, also the "pass into space" doesn´t help, but if u have individual instructions to short passing, so the "pass into space" might work, the rest is all good in my opinion. Cheers m8 :)

If you want to play a possession style, u shouln´t use "Run at Defence" instruction, also the "pass into space" doesn´t help, but if u have individual instructions to short passing, so the "pass into space" might work, the rest is all good in my opinion. Cheers m8 :)

1. The run at defence shout mainly makes your ams be more attacking.
2. Pass into space ALWAYS works. Its the throughball shout.
3. Possession football works best with counterpressing. Thats what all the team instuctions, mentality and philosophy (ies) denote

3. Possession football works best with counterpressing. Thats what all the team instuctions, mentality and philosophy (ies) denote

That´s your opinion and tbh, with all due respect u should read more articles about possession, mate. We are talking about possession right ?

1. Run at defence makes the players be more offensive, but it also instruct them to run with ball, so it´s not a instruction to maintain possession.

2. Pass into space not ALWAYS works and it´s best used in a COUNTER tactic. If you want to have possession you must have less risk passing shouts, use short passes in almost every players and use individual shouts to some players to make those trough ball passes, with more risk passes.

3. Counter Pressing is the antithesis of possession football, a concept created to fight the tiki taka so, that makes no sense m8.

And im not talking about the Overload strategy, that has nothing to do with possession, but yet might work when you want to be more direct in the offensive process. Cheers mate ;)

Last edited:

You'll be in trouble if your aim is a possession game model: pass into space is something to used by one or two players, usually the playmakers. Run at Defence must not be used: if you ever saw Guardiola's Barca, the idea was to to pass and receive the pass and make one-twos, always one-twos. Higher Tempo when you already have a high tempo due to mentality is a very bad one. Even the mentality (attacking) is not the best option, you will be crowding the opponent into their own half and it will be very difficult to find spaces... this is when people starts complaining about long shots :)

although I have just won a domestic treble with Man United the Board and fans are annoyed that I haven't played possession football, besides retain possession what over touchline instructions and team instructions shall I use in order to shut them up

you can always ask a meeting with the board and change that philosophy. It's not mandatory to play possession.

Speaking of Guardiola's Barca, there's a guide on community.sigames.com that replicated that team - and it uses pass into space. The reason for this is that while the aim is to play possession football, Barca are also quick on the counter when the opportunity is presented. Using pass into space and playing possession football are not mutually exclusive.

Then again, it also employs the counter mentality, not control or attacking as people might think.

Link: The Barcelona Style: My Interpretation

You'll be in trouble if your aim is a possession game model: pass into space is something to used by one or two players, usually the playmakers. Run at Defence must not be used: if you ever saw Guardiola's Barca, the idea was to to pass and receive the pass and make one-twos, always one-twos. Higher Tempo when you already have a high tempo due to mentality is a very bad one. Even the mentality (attacking) is not the best option, you will be crowding the opponent into their own half and it will be very difficult to find spaces... this is when people starts complaining about long shots :)

I see what you are saying but you re not reading what I am saying. If you play possession football only with nice control mentality you ll leave yourself open to all sorts of dangers. Thats way, in FM at least, possession always must be coupled with counterpressing (which is why I said to use the specific TIs).

I see what you are saying but you re not reading what I am saying. If you play possession football only with nice control mentality you ll leave yourself open to all sorts of dangers. Thats way, in FM at least, possession always must be coupled with counterpressing (which is why I said to use the specific TIs).

you do know that counterpressing is something built to frustrate a possession-based model, right ?

you do know that counterpressing is something built to frustrate a possession-based model, right ?

Yeah are you seeing the point here ? When people just don´t know what they are talking about, nonsense happens.
I don´t think he knows what the Counter Pressing is or even possession footbal, and if he read what i wrote, he should see that using Counter Pressing to play possession based football just makes absolutely no sense, because the Counter Pressing was created only to fight the possession football. :)

I don't know about y'all but Counter-pressing, geggenpressing whatever you want to call it works like a treat on this game especially after i made some tweaks proposed by MANUMAD over there. it's been working fantastic with my fast direct attacking football. i know it's not related but i wanted to let you all know that

Also me being an Arsenal fan i must say that they play possesion football and while they don't geggenpress they do press pretty gamn high on the pitch while playing a possesion based football

I don't know about y'all but Counter-pressing, geggenpressing whatever you want to call it works like a treat on this game especially after i made some tweaks proposed by MANUMAD over there. it's been working fantastic with my fast direct attacking football. i know it's not related but i wanted to let you all know that

Also me being an Arsenal fan i must say that they play possesion football and while they don't geggenpress they do press pretty gamn high on the pitch while playing a possesion based football

Yeah, but fast and direct attacking is one thing; possession based football is another.

Yeah, but fast and direct attacking is one thing; possession based football is another.

Definitely. i think it's more suited IMO. Win the ball very high up the pitch and be fast reaching the oppositions goal using the imbalance in their formation. but what i see IRL from teams that play a possession style is also geggenpressing they just take it down a notch or two

Definitely. i think it's more suited IMO. Win the ball very high up the pitch and be fast reaching the oppositions goal using the imbalance in their formation. but what i see IRL from teams that play a possession style is also geggenpressing they just take it down a notch or two

geggenpressing was (is) a way to counter possession, it's simply the opposite of a possession philosophy in which everything is done with the ball and always with the ball. This is one absolute concept (amongst others) within the main reference of today's possession philosophy, Guardiola. As for geggenpressing references, people should go for Simeone and Klopp. If you want, you can say that Guardiola and Mourinho are the perfect opposites, since for the first one the ball is everything and for the second having the ball is the first step for a player making mistakes.