Possession/High Pressing Tactics - 15 Game Winning Run In All Competitions!

James1517

Reaction score
Introduction
Hello FM fans, James1517 here and I am here to present my new set of tactics based on my own style and
philosophy of:
Possession and High Pressing
I Call it "The JW Style" ;)

Now I literally created these tactics all from scratch when i started my Newcastle United project. I took inspiration from 3 managers to create these tactics, which have been absolutely fantastic for my Newcastle team:

Manuel Pellegrini

View attachment 348274

Mauricio Pochettino

View attachment 348273

Brendan Rodgers

View attachment 348272

Don't expect these to work straight away, these tactics need to be fluid to work properly and you need to have the right players for it. I'm not sure if these tactics work for smaller/lower league teams as i have not tested them, but i can almost guarantee they'll work for top quality teams, as i've had some fantastic results with Newcastle. What i can tell you about these tactics is lots of passing, 58%+ possession, organised and solid defensively, and goals.

Test Results

View attachment 348269
View attachment 348185View attachment 348186View attachment 348184View attachment 348182View attachment 348180
View attachment 348171View attachment 348169

The Three Formations

4-2-3-1
View attachment 348268
This was the tactic that got me the majority of the results. As you can see i went on a fifteen game winning run in all competitions, that's the best i've ever had in my time of FM :) Also the defence has been so solid and has only conceded like 7 up until January.
10 games of that 15 game winning run was with the 4-2-3-1, most notably i thrashed Man United 5-0, which was very pleasing, so instead of "Philippe Albeeerrrt!' it was "Connor Wickhaaaamm"
I also beat my rivals Sunderland 4-0, and the only slip ups with this formation was against Southampton (0-1) and Arsenal (0-2)

4-1-2-2-1

View attachment 348267
I've only played three games with this formation and won all three, Hull (1-0), West Ham (2-0) and Q.P.R (2-0)
I will post more results of this formation soon.

4-2-2-2

View attachment 348266
As with the 4-1-2-2-1 i've only used this formation sporadically, i played five, won four, Swansea (3-1), Leicester (1-0), West Brom (5-1), Blackburn (2-1) and drawn one, Man City (1-1).
Again, I will post more results of this tactic soon.

Team Instructions

View attachment 348255

Now you may be wondering, Surely one set of team and player instructions can't fit three different formations? Well the thing is, they can.
I find that the formations are only how you portray your instructions on the pitch. As long as the formations don't have too many varied player roles, in this case i have two: The False 9 and Defensive Midfielder, then the formations should work fine with the same instructions.

Player Instructions and Player Recommendations:

Goalkeeper/Defend:
Pass it shorter, Distribute to defenders.
Your normal goalkeeper, he'll look to play it safe to your defenders and not hoof it up the field.
Player Recommendations:
Tim Krul, Manuel Neuer, Simon Mignolet.

Wing Backs/Support:
Run wide with ball, Shoot less often, Stay wider, Close down more, Get further forward, Pass it shorter, Cross more often.
These will be the players that offer you width and crossing opportunities for your target man. They must have good work rate, reasonable pace, good stamina and also decision making.
Player Recommendations:
Daryl Janmaat, Massadio Haidara, Rafael, Marcelo.

Central Defenders/Defend:
Pass it shorter, Ease off tackles.
Your two bricks to the tactics. These need to be good passers of the ball and have good composure and strength, there will be times where they are put under pressure when the goalkeeper gives the ball to them, but my Newcastle defence has been so solid in my project.
Player Recommendations:
Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa, Fabricio Coloccini, Vincent Kompany, Gerard Pique.

Defensive Midfielder/Defend:
Pass it shorter, Shoot less often.
Your recycler of possession in the 4-1-2-2-1. He will look to sweep up behind the midfield. He needs to have good tackling, positioning and work rate attributes.
Player Recommendations:
Cheick Tiote, Sami Khedira, Sergio Busquets.

Ball Winning Midfielder/Defend:
Pass it shorter, Shoot less often.
Your spine in the 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-2-2. He'll look to win the ball back in the middle of the park and in your defensive third, and play a simple possession game. He needs to have good tackling, teamwork, strength and positioning.
Player Recommendations:
Cheick Tiote, Sami Khedira, Fernandinho.

Deep Lying Playmaker/Support:
Pass it shorter, Fewer risky passes, Roam from position.
Your primary playmaker, will look to spread the ball about, bring full backs into the game and play simple passes. He needs to have good passing, decision making and team work.
Player Recommendations:
Moussa Sissoko, Mikel Arteta, Xavi.

Advanced Playmaker/Attack:
Pass it shorter, Close down more, Roam from position.
The main focal point of attack. He'll mostly look to stay behind the striker and he's what creates goalscoring chances for the inside forwards. He'll also look to get in-between the lines and get into the box for crosses. Decision making, passing, technique and flair are important attributes.
Player Recommendations:
Siem de Jong, Mesut Ozil, Ross Barkley.

Inside Forward/Attack:
Shoot less often, Pass it shorter, Sit narrower, Cross less often.
Your main goalscoring threats. They will always look to run diagonally into space behind the defence and create space for themselves and others such as the wing backs and advanced playmaker. They'll need to have good acceleration, flair, dribbling and reasonable finishing.
Player Recommendations:
Hatem Ben Arfa, Cristiano Ronaldo, Arjen Robben, Neymar.

False Nine/Support:
Pass it shorter, Roam from position, Shoot less often.
Similar to the advanced playmaker in the 4-2-2-2 and 4-1-2-2-1. He'll link the play to the attackers and will get into the box. He needs to have good creativity, passing and team work.
Player Recommendations:
Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Wayne Rooney.

Target Man/Attack:
Shoot less often, Pass it shorter, Move into channels, Hold position.
Another focal point in attack, especially in the 4-2-3-1. He'll hold up the ball for the inside forwards to run in behind, and will also provide aerial threat in the box from crosses. He needs to have good teamwork, jumping, strength, anticipation and heading.
Player Recommendations:
Connor Wickham, Olivier Giroud, Edin Dzeko.

Opposition Instructions
I leave to my assistant manager.

Set Pieces
They are all set in the tactics.

Pre-Season General and Match Training
View attachment 348192

During Season General and Match Training
View attachment 348188

When To Use Each Tactic
Now i can't specifically say which tactic is best depending on who your opposition is and how they line up. But from my 5 months of my Newcastle save, use the 4-2-3-1 against stronger/similar opposition, do NOT use it against teams that play 4-1-3-2, or ones that overload the middle of the park. I'd use 4-1-2-2-1 against 4-1-2-2-1, or against teams that lack players in the middle, such as 4-4-2. And only use 4-2-2-2 at home, and mainly against teams that play 4-4-2, or weak teams. But i'd highly recommend the 4-2-3-1 as your main tactic.

Thank you for reading!
I hope you can take the time to try these tactics. If you want to play beautiful, possession and high pressing football, then these should be the tactics for you! Again, thank you very much for reading, i will post more results soon and look forward to hearing your opinions and tests :)

DOWNLOAD TACTICS HERE:

View attachment 348168
View attachment 348166
View attachment 348165

Last edited:
Nice write up, good to see another 4231 that seemingly works, check out sir goalalot for comparisons, like that yours is a set though keeps the CPU guessing!

Nice write up, good to see another 4231 that seemingly works, check out sir goalalot for comparisons, like that yours is a set though keeps the CPU guessing!

Cheers for the reply. Yeah I hate having just one tactic, coz it can become so predictable, would rather have a plan b and c

Giving these a test, really liking the 4-3-3 one. The 4-2-3-1 leaves too much room behind the midfield for liking. Will update with results after a while.

hey James im trying your tactics and only have a little question do you recommend chanching de dline depending of the strength of the opposition? thanks in advice.

Hi what do you have your mentality and fluidity set to please?

hey James im trying your tactics and only have a little question do you recommend chanching de dline depending of the strength of the opposition? thanks in advice.

No I never change the d-line no matter what opposition. have to maintain that pressing game

Hello

Could you sent this tactics in *fmf format because I can't use this tactics in *tac format to my game because shows information please import file.
maybe, could you give me some advice on how to solve this problem? Can someone upload these tactics in * fmf me email updates [email protected]

thank you

Hello

Could you sent this tactics in *fmf format because I can't use this tactics in *tac format to my game because shows information please import file.
maybe, could you give me some advice on how to solve this problem? Can someone upload these tactics in * fmf me email updates [email protected]

thank you

These are FM2014 not 2015 tactics