mwhitehorn07

Reaction score
Repost from other sub-forum, hoping to get some responses.

Im hoping to create a possession tactic. I use the following tactic as an attacking one, and I tweak a few things depending on the opposition, but my base tactic is as follows.

It is generally very successful at home, and away against most teams. But, few questions:

can anyone suggest some simple away game tweaks?

Am I doing it wrong? Since there are few tooltips or help in game, I have no idea if some of my instructions are contradictory, or just flat out wrong for my desired style. So im looking for any basic tips on my tactic.

Should I be shooting for 65% possession? Is possession an effective tactic even in FM. Does it tire out opposition players like it should? Frustrate them? What impact does playing with the ball 65% of the time have on the opposition team. What about my own team?

Also, ignore the team selection, the shot was taken after a Europa League match, so its my B team.

I think generally most people on here say that possession isn't the best way to play, as you don't get as many CCC's and goals.

However, I feel like possession is a viable tactic, and it's what I employ with my Fleetwood team. The way I see it is the same way that Barcelona do IRL. If the opposition doesn't have the ball then they can't score. In my experience, if you get a good possession based tactic then you won't always score ludicrous amounts of goals, but you will score enough whilst keeping goals conceded to a minimum.

With regards to your tactic, I would consider play with a higher line at home so you can press high up the field more effectively.
Also bring the tempo down a bit, to maybe around a quarter of the way.

When playing away from home it's just about being a bit more cautious. Drop the line a bit but not too much, slow the passing down and maybe come in a bit narrower. I'm not a fan of changing tactics too much depending on home or away, but instead look at the opposition and adapt the tactic to their style, not just where the game is being played.