Possible favourized formation by FM18

zyndar

Reaction score
What do you think guys, what will be the favourized formation in FM18? Previous years we had 4123, 442 and 3430 this year. I vote for 3421 Conte style.

I hope that it will be a formation with wide attacking midfielders like IF pe W and 4 at the back. Im sick of 3 at the back.

I hope it will be a balance between the defensive weaknesses in the central area and the defensive weaknesses in the right/left areas. A tactic based on wide midfielders should be as good as is a tactic based on a strong group of central advanced midfielders. Any difference should be due only to the quality of the team, the quality of the tactic and the adaptability of the human player.

FM17 was all about three man defence so I think the popular 4-2-3-1 will come back strong. I secretly hope for the return of quick poachers raping offside trap a la FM12.

These are pure speculations but it looks like FM18 will have 4 new roles. All of these roles seem to improve the movement between lines as well as the movement between the flanks and the center. This means practically much more options for AI, both defensive and offensive
I think the "magic tactics" with 3 defenders and strikerless (FM17) will no longer work. I also think the cross based supertactics (FM16) will no longer work. It may be that in FM18 a tactic based on 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 will work almost as well as one based on 4-3-3 narrow or 5-2-3 WB just by changing roles. But these are speculations

Using 4-2-3-1 wide and stopped the losing run almost instantly. Currently on 4W & 1D in last 5 games after taking up the job at Bury (they were 1-5-8 before).

Have attached the tactic in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Im fan of 4-2-3-1 with wingers, love Conte style too

I love the 4-2-3-1 but I couldn't get it to work this year. Do you have a screen shot of how you set it up if you used this formation successfully?

I have started with a 4-1-4-1 which is going nicely so far, will post once fully tested.

Raumdeuter role is working like a charm this year so far in my save

One of the reasons why I actually still love to play 2016 :)
I like to have a tactic with both wing backs and wingers.
Not a fan of those "rush through the middle" versions like 2017. It somehow makes me remember the good old days of CM1 and CM2001 where we would play everyone in the middle. And for doing that, I kind of like the nostalgia and fast pace of CM2001 :)

So if 2018 favours tactics with 2 strikers, wingers and wingbacks.....I will enjoy.

Vitoria's style? Are you nuts?? :D

Benfica´s coach Rui Vitória?
By your nickname I would say that was what you mean.
If so, it would make sense as I was his student as a teenager :p
So it makes a lot of sense I do favour a tactical style similar to my former teacher :)

Well, to be honest, I like a 442 with wingbacks and wingers just because it gives me the chance to explore more players. I had fun with the days of old when we would get into a team and 1st order was sell all the right and left players but I enjoy it more being able to use them.

Benfica´s coach Rui Vitória?
By your nickname I would say that was what you mean.
If so, it would make sense as I was his student as a teenager :p
So it makes a lot of sense I do favour a tactical style similar to my former teacher :)

Well, to be honest, I like a 442 with wingbacks and wingers just because it gives me the chance to explore more players. I had fun with the days of old when we would get into a team and 1st order was sell all the right and left players but I enjoy it more being able to use them.

Im just a Benfica fan, but never liked 442.

The other day, talking to a friend, we where thinking that 352 would be more appropriate for Benfica. What do you think?

Hmmm ... looks like SI is trying to change a lot of things. IWB playing as full back with defend / support / attack duty. Trequartista playing as AMR/AML. Run wide with ball for central midfielders (DM, MC, AMC) and strikers ... A lot o central midfileder roles with 'move into channels' PI ... strikers with a huge closing down level 'by default' ... Looks challenging ...

Im just a Benfica fan, but never liked 442.

The other day, talking to a friend, we where thinking that 352 would be more appropriate for Benfica. What do you think?

Are talking about real life or in game?

I will assume its real life. And I will say that 3-5-2 seems a very poor option.
I played lower league football in Germany and played 3-5-2 a lot. Its a system where the wingbacks need to have incredible stamina and tactical skill. The center backs need to be really coordinated and ready to quickly shift left and right.

Now imagine this at Benfica.....

We have no proper right back.
We have a very ofensive and not the best positioning ever left back.

Now this would generate a lot more open spaces for the center backs.
And we also lack fast center backs able to quickly cover fast wing players. Imagine Luisao having to run against the other teams wingers.....it would just be easy for the oposition. And those wingers would show up in the face of our defenders considering the kind of wing backs we have.

But this is just my view.

You would end up having to play 2 defensive midfield players to try and cover the backs of the wingbacks and that would again leave the midfield with too few people. Even more so because we are lacking on the central midfield position. Only Fejsa is really great and no one else. Maybe if we called someone from the B team....Florentino or Gedson.

What do you think guys, what will be the favourized formation in FM18? Previous years we had 4123, 442 and 3430 this year. I vote for 3421 Conte style.

Try the 3412
View attachment 79436

Standard Mentality and Flexible Team Shape

Icardi and Gaya are two signings you have to make to play this tactic.

4.2.3.1 or 4.3.3 wide... I also enjoy tactics with 2 forwards but not in a 4-4-2 classic formation. As long there is forward it's fine for me. I can't stand non-forward formation