Postseason playoffs and European football?

Wolf_pd

Reaction score
For a new Dutch custom league I am working on I need some advice

The setup will be similar to how the (lower) amateurranks are set up in the Netherlands. Teams that are used are the current Dutch teams and for lower levels I will probably add some more teams later on.

There are 6 districts. The champions of the districts play a playoff (probably a 6 team round robin) and the playoff winner is the champion, obviously. This is similar to how the Dutch champions were crowned pre-1954 before professional football was started in the Netherlands.

One of the things I am looking at right now is the division of European places.

When the game starts the Netherlands has 6 European entries if I am correct. 1 of those entries is for the Cupwinner. So based on playoff rank team 1 to 5 go into Europe. If I am doing well enough, the amount of teams in Europe might go up to 7, again 1 of which qualifies through of the Cup. This should also work out.

Are there any scenarios where more than 7 teams go into Europe? And is there any scenario where the 6 playoff teams are not sufficient to fill in the European places without putting any special rules into place.

So far I can think of:
- Fair play competition when the Dutch are allowed an extra team. This scenario should not pose a problem as the fair play team gets the place. When already qualified, the next team in the fair play ranking gets the place. This only means that the fair play should look at all districts for all teams on the highest level. I have a good idea how to enable this.
- Dutch team that wins the Champions League and is already in the Playoffs. What if the CL winner finishes 6th in the playoffs but is eligible for a Europa League that way. There is no 7th place. This might be an issue.
- Dutch team that wins the CL, but is not in the playoffs. I think the team should then qualify for Europa and the playoff teams play for their prizes. This should work out.
- Does the Europa League winner qualify for the Europa League again? If so, there might be the same issue as with CL.

One way to circumvent the problems might be by adding an extra district cup, (similar to the English League Cup) which is also eligible for Europe. Or would that mean an extra team in Europe (nr 8) instead of taking away a place in the playoffs? I like the idea of the District Cup anyway.

Are there other scenarios?

No more than 7 can go into EURO cups, one issue i can think of is that, cup winner and cup finalist both finish ie. 1st and second in Play-off and qualify for CL. Then maybe you could have problem how it is decided which team will be that 7th.

Edit: probably idea of one round robin for the second placed district teams could be a safety net

Hmm, I remember exactly the scenario you mention in the Netherlands. In 1998 the two losers from the semi finales had to play for a place in Europe. The chances of that are small, especially since the exact two teams should make the finals for cup and playoff.
Also, I have changed the setup of the competition, which makes it harder to get the double.