marabak

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a Real Madrid save just starting third season. And frankly, I just can't get Ronaldo to be the beast he is in real life and I have put this down to injuries in his first season (although his stats have stayed pretty high). I largely play him in a AML position, usually IF, but I have tried all sorts of combinations and tactics to try and tease some goals out of him. I've actually found if I play with him as a target man with ball to feet or run onto ball, I actually struggle to score goals from anywhere else as well.

View attachment 322355 View attachment 322356 View attachment 322354

He is still rated 4.5 stars and valued at £16m (which I think is pretty low), but I was considering selling him whilst it is still worthwhile (although I am concerned with how my board or fans will react). He is currently eating up around £200,000 a week in wages though and I am sure I can probably get someone else in who is just as effective but for far less.

How much do you feasibly think I could get for him? Has he ever been transferred on anyone else's game? How bad would everyone's reaction actually be?

And if I did sell him, who would be a viable alternative? (I currently also have Di Maria and Nani who are my usual AML/R alternatives).

Cheers guys.

Have you checked the way Portugal are playing him? He seems to be doing well in international games? Never known of anyone to sell him before but I did buy him for 120m in FM12 with loads if add ons.

Hey guys

I have a Real Madrid save just starting third season. And frankly, I just can't get Ronaldo to be the beast he is in real life and I have put this down to injuries in his first season (although his stats have stayed pretty high). I largely play him in a AML position, usually IF, but I have tried all sorts of combinations and tactics to try and tease some goals out of him. I've actually found if I play with him as a target man with ball to feet or run onto ball, I actually struggle to score goals from anywhere else as well.

View attachment 322355 View attachment 322356 View attachment 322354

He is still rated 4.5 stars and valued at £16m (which I think is pretty low), but I was considering selling him whilst it is still worthwhile (although I am concerned with how my board or fans will react). He is currently eating up around £200,000 a week in wages though and I am sure I can probably get someone else in who is just as effective but for far less.

How much do you feasibly think I could get for him? Has he ever been transferred on anyone else's game? How bad would everyone's reaction actually be?

And if I did sell him, who would be a viable alternative? (I currently also have Di Maria and Nani who are my usual AML/R alternatives).

Cheers guys.

Never used him, but I'd of thought using him as either a Complete forward or as a Treq. would work well? If you do sell him, I'd guess that some of your players will be unhappy, as will the board and fans (Again, never used Madrid so not sure)

As a replacement, I'd get a world-class player with a high reputation so the fans and players are more likely to be happy. Maybe Neymar or Cavani?

the first thing i can see is that he hasn't played that much in 3 seasons and you have said that you are switching him from playing him from a inside forward on left wing and a target man up front so

1> he won't be able to settle in a particular position however comfortable he is playing there.
2> as you said the injury's haven't helped.
3> he is a natural aml inside forward is best but if you want him up front he plays best as a deep lying forward not target man.
4> i dont know how his value is 16m when on my save (near end of 3rd season) and his value is 32m

View attachment 322500

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't mean as a TM as a striker, I meant in the team instructions I set him as the target man, despite playing him as AML. I think I will persevere with him for another season and see if I can get him into a decent run of form.

I'll check out his international instructions, I hadn't thought of that.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Neymar (Man U went on a splurge and bought several top class players at the end of last season, but it was before I had been assigned my new transfer funds so I couldn't compete. That was particularly annoying).

Oh, I didn't mean as a TM as a striker, I meant in the team instructions I set him as the target man, despite playing him as AML. I think I will persevere with him for another season and see if I can get him into a decent run of form.

I'll check out his international instructions, I hadn't thought of that.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Neymar (Man U went on a splurge and bought several top class players at the end of last season, but it was before I had been assigned my new transfer funds so I couldn't compete. That was particularly annoying).

also it would depend on the players around him but being real madrid i can't see that being a problem and the tactics you play.

is there any chance you could do a screenshot of you tactics please

I've played around a little bit over the past few seasons, but these are the shots literally as used for my last game. I beat Sevilla 3:1 but Ronaldo hardly featured at all..

The other two formations to be fair probably aren't suited to Ronaldo as much, as one has 3 AM immediately behind a single striker (nothing wide) and the other has a flat midfield four with two strikers but neither formation is often used beyond injury crisis's or drastic changes in style required.

View attachment 322878View attachment 322879View attachment 322880

View attachment 322881

I think if you can't get Ronaldo to work in the IF role, I doubt getting someone else in to fill the role would - have you tried an alternative? How did he do?

Have you changed any of Ronaldo's PPMs?

Some things you could try:

Either set him as IF Support or set Benzema to Support
Leave his player instructions for Mentality, Long Shots and Through Balls to their default settings
Change Ozil to an AP from an AM
Don't have Ronaldo set as Target Man
Try setting Focus Passing down the left only, with Baines as a Wing Back Attack
Swap the DLP/BWM positions
Have the DLP as the Playmaker
Set him as your free kick taker

Save your game just before you play someone, and replay the match over and over trying out some or all of these tweaks to see if it makes a difference. That way, the only thing you lose will be some of your time.

Hope that helps.

When Ronaldo was injured, I played Di Maria as a winger most of the time (alternating with Nani and occasionally Ozil as a playmaker). All of them played pretty decent. Maybe as well as Ronaldo to be fair, I just expect more from Ronaldo for the wage he is costing me :D

I don't recall changing any of his PPMs. Currently he has "shoots from distance", "shoots with power", "cuts inside", "hits freekick with power" and "runs with ball often".

I tried some of your suggestions, but with a few tweaks due to player rotation (Llorent as a TM support, Marcelo instead of Baines (still FB support))

Played Marseille and won 1:0, but Ronaldo got the goal and had another disallowed for offside. Strangely both games came from Modric crossing from deep in the right.

Just to justify my previous tactics though, I had the BWM on the left due to the more attacking nature of my left back (and lack of Ronaldo's backtracking) compared to my right. Will this be a problem still using this tactic, leaving my with a lack of defense on the left? Also, I had Ronaldo's long shots set to minimum because he seems to take a bazillion shots from outside the area which are rarely on target.

I've checked out a few of the Portugal internationals, Ronaldo has scored 4 in the last two games (all of Portugal's goals, admittedly against Slovenia and Paraguay), but hasn't scored for around 5 games before then. Portugal play a 442 diamond though, with Ronaldo as a striker. I'm not sure exactly how (or if you can) see what type of striker they played him as though.