Montanaro

Reaction score
I have a question about PPMs.

Sometimes I'll notice players do certain PPMs without them being trained to do them. For instance, lobbing keeper/running by keeper/knocking ball past defender etc..

Should you train your player in the PPM's you most often see him do (taking his attributes into account)? For instance my striker knocks the ball, and rounds the keeper, despite never training for those, would training him to do these improve his ability performing these, or would it just be redundant???

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:33 AM ----------

no thoughts on this?

it depends on whether what they are doing in detrimental to your side. if your stiker is rounding the keeper really well on the few times hes doing it, id asking him to regularly do it via PPM. if he was lobing the keeper but missing too often i wouldnt ask him

Well since he's been choosing the same finishing a number of times it surely is a sign that he is in fact good at it, but I don't see why you should decrease his usual training just to get him to do what he does anyway...
Plus, it might be a negative thing, as he might do what you train him even when something else is a better option...

Well since he's been choosing the same finishing a number of times it surely is a sign that he is in fact good at it, but I don't see why you should decrease his usual training just to get him to do what he does anyway...
Plus, it might be a negative thing, as he might do what you train him even when something else is a better option...

which is precisely the issue I'm having!

Over the course of a couple years with the young striker that brought up this question, I've come to some conclusions.

Retraining in certain areas will largely prevent the player from performing certain moves.

I trained my striker to place shots (and he does this well) however, he no longer tries to lob the keeper or power in shots (to my chagrin on occasions!!! Couldn't tell you how many times he could have lobbed) He has NEVER tried another lob since he learned to place shots (I watch every game). This makes sense in the game engine since once a player learns to place shots, you cannot train him to lob the keeper.

I find this a bit unrealistic, my striker has solid creativity and flair and should be able to pull off the lob, as of now he follows the PPM to a tee.

In my opinion, unless you NEED a player to play a certain way by learning a PPM, you don't need to teach them any if you see them successfully perform the moves without it being a preferred move. PPMs (especially finishing moves) are good for making up for a lacking skill or if you need players to play a specific way to fit your tactic.