craiigman

Reaction score
I'm usually pretty good at the pre-season stuff, getting the formation familiar, getting the players match fit and ready for the start of the season.

But for some reason on FM14 the formation familiarity doesn't appear to go up much, if at all.

What I usually do is as follows:

1. I go and setup the formation I want to use. The problem here is that if you make a change during pre-season if it's not quite working, it changes to familiarity too much. But I usually setup a 4-2-3-1. Setting up more than one tactic in pre-season seems pointless as the tactics will never be learned.

I don't know how much changing the shouts or individual instructions changes this. Can anyone confirm?

2. I go and setup the training. I use this as my training during pre-season:

OTK1tFo.png

I don't usually set individual training until I lower the intensity level after pre-season. To try and avoid any injuries.

3. I go and setup lots of friendlies. More game = More game time = More time spent on the formations. I try to mix them between more difficult games and some easy ones. It's about fitness and learning the formation.

4. I evaluate my squad and look at who I need to sign. I know signing new players does effect how quickly formations are learnt and I will often switch fitness to team cohesion in training if I sign a couple of players.

5. Make sure I have the staff setup correctly. And sign new members of staff for cover certain areas where required.

6. In the games I play I usually switch the whole team at half time. Giving players 45 minutes each. This helps maintain fitness while also boosting match fitness.

Those 5 things seemed to work for me on FM13 and I don't see why it doesn't work so well on FM14. Unless I am doing something wrong? I am still struggling with the tactics system on FM14 so not having one familiar right away to see if it's my formation that sucks or if they just aren't used to it is kind of annoying.

I obviously want to setup 2/3 formations, but if it takes this long to setup one then I don't even know how long it would take to do all 3. And then at the end of the season they forget the formation all over again.

The game is designed so you need to "actually manage" as some people are saying. By tweaking and changing your formations for each game. But getting the players familiar with all these changes makes that way of doing things seem contradicting.

Can someone help me please? The idea of doing all these things makes me really want to enjoy the game, but it's like I am playing a different game to some of you. Nothing seems to work for me. I try to do everything the way "you're meant to" but it doesn't seem to work too well.