Preferred Formation? You're doing it wrong, FM

mersk

Reaction score
On your own profile page there's a preview of your preferred tactics, like this:

View attachment 351898

I noticed the same thing in FM 12, and they obviously haven't paid much attention to this in FM 13 either.

- My preferred formation is not 4-4-1-1, it's 4-2-3-1.
- My playing mentality is not balanced, it's fluid.
- My pressing style is not mixed, it's closing down.
- My marking style is not mixed, it's been man marking since the first match.
- My coaching style is not defending, it's attacking.

Why do they include something like this when it doesn't work at all? Every single piece of information in that marked area is flat out wrong.

I have the same problem, playing 4231 for four seasons now, still saying my preffered formation is 4411.
The relationships are also not making any sense for me. van Basten is in the list of 'best opinions', while we've been like the biggest rivals for four years and he's hating on me every time I'm playing against him.

How many seasons are you into the save?

. When starting, you have " mixed" settings in all areas and for this to change, it Will take à while. Your manager comes with a made up default history ( mixed in all ) and just like your stats in the preferences would not change from attacking to Defensive just because you pick that style for 10 matches, it won't change quickly here either. Even though you have not been a manager before, the game still think you should have had a preferred approach prior to the start of your career at this level.

Edit: I see now that you have played over 400 matches. Have you got any more tactic loaded up in the match prep that might have an effect ?

Last edited:
How many seasons are you into the save?

. When starting, you have " mixed" settings in all areas and for this to change, it Will take à while. Your manager comes with a made up default history ( mixed in all ) and just like your stats in the preferences would not change from attacking to Defensive just because you pick that style for 10 matches, it won't change quickly here either. Even though you have not been a manager before, the game still think you should have had a preferred approach prior to the start of your career at this level.

I'm in july 2018, so I feel there's enough data for it to be aware that I've never used 4-4-1-1 a single match. I've played man marking every single match since I started, fluid 95% of the matches. I have had "play attacking football" as a board promise the entire time, and have constantly had the blue bar filled all the way up.

As you can see from the screenshot, I've played 421 games so far. I think that should be enough data to conclude I don't play anywhere near the way it's describing me. It was the same in FM12, I have never used 4-4-1-1 a single minute of my career, yet it seems to be the default "preferred formation". It's just bad scripting in my opinion, and makes the whole tactics overview in the profile section redundant. Same goes with relationships, like RTvD pointed out. Those two guys at the bottom on the left I'm supposed to have a good relationship with? I've never heard of any of them, and have never done business with any of them.

I'm in july 2018, so I feel there's enough data for it to be aware that I've never used 4-4-1-1 a single match.

Mine is the same mate. I'm in 2036 and I've never once played 4-4-1-1 it was my 'preferred formation' until about 2030 when it recently changed to 4-5-1 which again I have never played. I also play 4-2-3-1 though so maybe its a bug with that formation maybe??

I'm in july 2018, so I feel there's enough data for it to be aware that I've never used 4-4-1-1 a single match. I've played man marking every single match since I started, fluid 95% of the matches. I have had "play attacking football" as a board promise the entire time, and have constantly had the blue bar filled all the way up.

As you can see from the screenshot, I've played 421 games so far. I think that should be enough data to conclude I don't play anywhere near the way it's describing me. It was the same in FM12, I have never used 4-4-1-1 a single minute of my career, yet it seems to be the default "preferred formation". It's just bad scripting in my opinion, and makes the whole tactics overview in the profile section redundant. Same goes with relationships, like RTvD pointed out. Those two guys at the bottom on the left I'm supposed to have a good relationship with? I've never heard of any of them, and have never done business with any of them.

YEAH, I saw that but edited my post after you answered mine. Next question, do you have any more tactics loaded up in the match prep, tactics that use other formations, other approaches?

I ask because my profil is actually spot on.

Edit: I see now that you have played over 400 matches. Have you got any more tactic loaded up in the match prep that might have an effect ?

I have a 4-1-2-2-1 with DM, 2 CMs, 2 wingers and a striker (4-5-1 according to some). I also have a 4-2-4 as a third option, but a flat 4-4-1-1 is something I've never used. I never play with wide midfielders, only wingers.

Mine is the same mate. I'm in 2036 and I've never once played 4-4-1-1 it was my 'preferred formation' until about 2030 when it recently changed to 4-5-1 which again I have never played. I also play 4-2-3-1 though so maybe its a bug with that formation maybe??

Well, something is obviously not right, that's for sure. Haven't really searched the SI forums to find out if anyone else has commented on it, I was just curious first to see if there were others who had noticed the same.

In real world formation is not the same on the pitch and on the paper. Players tracking back, roaming from position, so is different.

I played with sacchi 4-4-2 tactic, which is very narrow in team instructions, so formation was 4-2-2-2.

Like that:

RB-CB-CB-LB
DM-DM
AM AM
CF CF

Pretty weird :p

I have the same problem, playing 4231 for four seasons now, still saying my preffered formation is 4411.
The relationships are also not making any sense for me. van Basten is in the list of 'best opinions', while we've been like the biggest rivals for four years and he's hating on me every time I'm playing against him.

Maybe that indicates how much respect he has for your abilities, despite the mindgames - see also Fergie v Wenger, Mourinho v Fergie, etc. Or maybe he just has a massive crush on you and is one of those types who deals with it by pretending he hates your guts.

As for the preferred formation, yep, I don't think it's worked since FM11. I don't actually think 4-4-1-1 is a problem - 4-4-1-1 is essentially the same formation as 4-2-3-1, as are 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1 and 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamonds and 4-3-1-2, etc etc. But mine also has 'fluidity' as 'balanced', and I don't think I've ever used anything but 'fluid'.

Mine does actually have my preferred formation correct (4-3-1-2, 4 seasons in to save) but the rest are all wrong

Mine says 4-3-3 when I have played a 4-2-3-1 for 4 years. Just ignore it, it's never been correct for me. Who cares?