Premier boss looks for TV support

Nah we don't want them because they're Scottish.

I used to think the of could make it in England but there squads have got worse over the past 2-3 seasons and i think they would both struggle nowadays.

Gregor said:
We do ok. But our wage bill is far too high. Its the 4th biggest in UK. If we did move the to EPL the tv money alone would mean we made a smuch as Arsenal & thats not adding increased sponsership, prize money etc.

You only dont want them cos that would means Spurs would finish 14th instead of 12th :D

Spurs are better than the OF.

And is that as much as Arsenal including thier TAXDODGING (clicky)?

I'll make my pointless contribution and say it's all happening down in League One! seen how tight the league is!! :eek:

But Premiership, would be **** having Celtic and Rangers in, i've always said this, who would want to travel from London to Glasgow to watch team play, wouldn't be too bad for teams up here in North East but others are down there somewhere!

Pointless comment over!

Its's just as pointless as going from Hartlepool to Swansea no?

Kris said:
I used to think the of could make it in England but there squads have got worse over the past 2-3 seasons and i think they would both struggle nowadays.

Yeah & why is this the case.....Lack of money!

The premiership would bring in 10s of millions more compared to the SPL plus the added draw of the EPL compared to the SPL.

Plus i dont think Spurs are better than Celtic. They are on paper but as they say football isnt played on paper. Well maybe not this Celtic team but Martin O'Neils team of 2003.

Im just saying your gonna have to travel anyway.

I dont care if they stay or go now because there crumbling and soon the spl will be a decent league for tital challenge's.

I can't believe they actually went through with this. The ECC ruins everything. :(

BSkyB is to lose its monopoly over live coverage of English Premier League matches, under a radical shake-up of the way football TV rights are sold.

The deal between the Premier League and the European Commission will ensure other broadcasters get access to live coverage of Premiership matches.

The league is to create six packages of "balanced" content, which would then be auctioned off to broadcasters.

Under the deal, BSkyB would not be permitted to bid for all six packages.

'Greater choice'

The Commission had threatened to take legal action against the Premier League if it failed to agree new arrangements giving other broadcasters a slice of live TV coverage of matches.

European Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said the new system would provide football fans with "greater choice and better value".

"The commitments offered by the Premier League should ensure that the media rights are sold in a fair and transparent manner," Ms Kroes said.

European Commission competition regulators have raised concerns over pay-TV broadcaster BSkyB's dominance of live football coverage.

Meaningful share

The deal, announced in Brussels on Thursday, marks a breakthrough in a dispute between the Commission and Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Mr Scudamore had previously argued that the EU proposals would "damage the game at all levels".

But the Commission had insisted that at least two broadcasters must have a "viable and meaningful" share of football TV rights in England to ensure viewers have more choice.

BSkyB owns the current packages of live matches running until 2007, under a £1.024bn ($1.77bn) deal agreed with the Premier League in 2003.

The satellite broadcaster has held the live rights to Premiership football in England since 1992, a position which has helped it become Britain's leading pay-TV service.

Under the deal, other broadcasters will now stand a chance of getting a share of the rights to cover live Premiership matches.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/4444684.stm

I hope that BBC get some matches, that would be alright.

Football rights hat-trick for Sky
BSkyB has won three of six packages giving it the right to broadcast English Premier League football games.

The winners of the six different match packages will be able to show games for three years starting in 2007.

BSkyB currently has exclusive rights, but a deal between the Premier League and the EU means other broadcasters get access to live Premiership coverage.

The remaining TV rights will now go to a second round of bidding. Setanta, an Irish broadcaster, has said it may bid.

Cable broadcaster NTL, BT Group and ITV have also been named as prospective bidders for the remaining three packages.

A second round of bidding for the final three TV rights packages will take place in due course, the Premier League said, adding that it would not comment any further.

More choice

BSkyB will not be allowed to win all six of the packages after the European Commission decided it had too strong a grip on the TV rights.

The Commission had threatened to take legal action against the Premier League if it failed to give other broadcasters a slice of live TV coverage of matches. Each package is divided into 23 games.

The Commission has insisted that at least two broadcasters must have a "viable and meaningful" share of football TV rights in England to ensure viewers have more choice.

Analysts said that the most likely outcome of the bidding process was that BSkyB would win either four or five packages, with the remainder going to one of its rivals.

Exane BNP Paribas analyst Philip Guest said that it would be difficult for a rival of Sky to win all three of the outstanding TV packages.

"Sky could put all its remaining money on one package and have a majority of the games," he explained.

"In terms of consumer behaviour, you're going to go where you can get the most games."

More than a decade

The Premier League is expected to earn about £1.1bn from the sale of TV rights, about 10% more than the last time they were on offer.

BSkyB owns the current packages of live matches running until 2007, under a £1.024bn ($1.77bn) deal agreed with the Premier League in 2003.

The satellite broadcaster has held the live rights to Premiership football in England since 1992, a position which has helped it become Britain's leading pay TV service.

Other rights, including mobile rights, television highlights packages, and overseas rights, will be determined separately.

Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4953846.stm

All I can say is YASSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!:D

Gregor said:
Are Cardiff & Swansea glish?

And what about Wrexham. Neway there was no Welsh football pyramid when they joined English leagues i fink.

Whittnam1987 said:
I'll make my pointless contribution and say it's all happening down in League One! seen how tight the league is!! :eek:

What about the bottom of League 2. Any1 of 6 clubs could go down on last day.

I hope on TV issue ITV win at least 1 of the remaining packages.

On issue of OF joining EPL. I think all Scottish, Welsh, N Irish, and English leagues should be amalgamted, as it is the British Isles, and we should have 1 international team rather than 4.

Oh That is going 2 be contreversial

yeah right, come on u think what would work??

& 1 internationl team, how many of that team would be scottish, walsh or Irish?

a couple, in squad. and the better palyers would be playing a better standard of footballl then

Haha what a crazy fool :p Having one international team would never work because alas,it would be English dominated.

I think the OF should join the English structure but not at the Premiership. As for everything else 'if it aint broke dont fix it'

On topic,I think its good that Sky have won the majoirty of games,but hope MOTD stays!!

It wouldn't work because there would be rules that you would have to have a certain amount from each country then all the politics just wouldnt work.

andal said:
I hope on TV issue ITV win at least 1 of the remaining packages.

On issue of OF joining EPL. I think all Scottish, Welsh, N Irish, and English leagues should be amalgamted, as it is the British Isles, and we should have 1 international team rather than 4.

Oh That is going 2 be contreversial

I think your an idiot tbh, Where is your national spirit ?. We are a free nation and i would like to keep it that way.

clackerbag said:
It wouldn't work because there would be rules that you would have to have a certain amount from each country then all the politics just wouldnt work.

Where all British anyway so it dont matter.

Kris im as patriotic as the rest of you. However mine is 4 Britain, not 1 of the regions that make up the UK. Rule Britannia.