Premier League Chairman Game

Liam I42I

Reaction score
WHAT IS A CHAIRMAN GAME?

Firstly, I have taken a massive chunk of this post from @andy_14clark from last years game.

For those who don't know what a chairman game is, it's essentially a game where people become the chairmen of clubs in one league, and they become responsible for setting budgets, changing managers, making key transfers etc. Everybody who takes part will run their changes through me, I will confirm when/if they are OK and edit them into the game, and then that chairman can announce what they have done in the thread via a "Press Release".

To play, you must meet the following criteria:

1) You MUST have a copy of Football Manager 2020. This is because I will be running the game on this, so you need the same version to ensure that transfers are done correctly.

2) You MUST be able to regularly come onto this site and check the thread for updates, speak to other chairmen etc.

3) You MUST contribute. Please do not sign up to play and then never post or respond to anyone's messages...there may be someone on the waiting list who wants to play and will be active!

General Rules

1) You may sack your manager after any update. Doing so will require you pay the remainder of their contract in full (will discuss fees for this down below)

2) Manager transfers are on a first come first served basis.

3) If your manager gets sacked then the owner will get the choice on the next appointment or keeping the current manager that has been hired. You cannot poach another players manager but can buy them similar to a C2C deal if both managers can agree a fee!

4) You can set your transfer & wage budgets to whatever you like (for your AI manager).

5) Facilities may be upgraded at any time, however at a cost:

2,500,000 per 1,000 seating increase, Max of 5,000 a season
2,500,000 for a minor improvement to your youth system.
2,500,000 for a minor improvement to your training facilities.
2,500,000 for a minor improvement to your Junior Coaching.
2,500,000 for a minor improvement to your Youth recruitment.

6) INACTIVITY WARNING

If you go through a whole season without any posts etc. I will message you before the final table update and a failure to reply will lead to you losing your team and that club becoming available to other managers.

Transfer rules

There are different types of transfer that can be completed:

C2C – These are fees arranged between each chairman in the game. Transfers are as agreed, and wages will stay the same as they currently stand in the game.
FGN – Foreign transfers are for any player that is signed outside of the English leagues and must be aged 18+.
DOM – Any players signed that play for a club in England and must be aged 18+
U18 – These are players that are 17 or younger at the time of the save file.
FREE – Any player that has an expired contract.
EXP – These are players that are on an expiring contract and can be given a pre-arranged contract
LOAN – Any player can be loaned as long as the club on the game is willing to let you loan the player (any team that states they will not allow this player to leave on loan at all can’t be loaned in). Whatever the loaning club requests on the game MUST be used. So, if there is a monthly fee, this full cost will be taken from the club budget,

Any transfers must be provided within the format as shown below and include the new transfer/wages details you expect to pay based on the transfer rules as stated below:

Type – Player – Current Club – New Club – Fee – Wage

This makes things much each to note and can help save me some time so would be greatly appreciated.

I have put all the rules on transfers in to one table to make it easier to look at. If anything is not clear, then let me know and I can clarify it.

ALLOWED TRANSFER

TypeMax Allowed Per WindowMinimum Fee to payMinimum Wages to offerMain Decision2nd Decision
C2CNo LimitTBDx1N/AN/A
DOM3x1.5 Value *x1.5Highest Fee OfferedFinish last season
FGN2x2 Value *x2Highest Fee OfferedFinish last season
U182x3 Value *x3Highest Fee OfferedFinish last season
FREE1N/ATBDHighest Wage OfferedFinish last season
EXP1**N/ATBDHighest Wage OfferedFinish last season
MGR (Employed)N/ALength of contact (in weeks) x current wage+25% of Current WageFCFSN/A
MGR (Unemployed)N/AN/AProvided by EditorFCFSN/A

TBD - To be decided by you (and other chairmen)
FCFS - First Come First Served
Editor - When I move anyone (prior to adjusting wages) the editor changes the wages automatically. Whatever it changes it to is what I will leave their wage as.

* - If the player is transfer listed then it will be the minimum of either the transfer listed price or minimum value and the wages are x1
** - EXP transfer can only be done during the January transfer window.​

Hiring/Firing Managers:
In the first season there will be no charges to firing a manager. However, moving forward, if you want to fire a manager you will be charged the remainder of your managers contract if you sign a manager who is unemployed. If you fire your manager for a manager employed by another club, the cost will be hiring the new manager.

Sale of players:
I will also allow you to sell players on the game. This is restricted to 2 per window. The player must be wanted for transfer on the game (not on loan) but not by another club within the league. However, if they are transfer listed, you will only receive a % based on this and the rules below (any transfer listed fees that are higher DO NOT count and players current value will be used). The fees you will receive is based on the following:

Major Interest from a club – You will receive 75% of fee
Minor Interest from a club – You will receive 50% of fee

Loans:
Each club will be allowed 1 loan signing from foreign clubs in July window per season. This is as long as you check that the club within the game allow the player to leave on loan. Whatever monthly fee / wages % required by that club will need to be paid. Please note these figures on your transfer submission. There is also a 2-player limit on loans per season from chairman clubs and 100% of the wages will be paid. There will be no fees received for loans.

Contracts:
In the January window, I will also allow you to give out 4 contracts. Each will be extended by 2 years and will be a 25% wages increase on their current wages. This means you can cover any potential expiring contracts or improve a contract.

TEAMS AVAILABLE

TeamPlayerManagerBalance
ArsenalTNSSOMikel Arteta£146,853,572
Aston VillaDean Smith£0
Brighton & Hove AlbionGraham Potter£0
BurnleySean Dyche£61,791,048
ChelseaThomas Tuchel£75,938,190
Crystal PalaceRoy Hodgson£35,344,119
EvertonCarlo Ancelotti£49,673,323
FulhamScott Parker£1,242,879
Leeds UnitedMarcelo Bielsa£8,851,590
Leicester CityBrendan Rodgers£33,481,370
LiverpoolJurgen Klopp£153,040,366
Manchester CityBCFC1Pep Guardiola£158,543,590
Manchester UnitedOle Gunner Soljkaer£158,543,590
Newcastle UnitedSteve Bruce£71,087,637
Sheffield UnitedChris Wilder£16,094,020
SouthamptonBenncfc24Ralph Hasenhuttl£101,546,580
Tottenham HotspurJopley99Jose Mourinho£323,011,709
West BromSam Allardyce£0
West HamDavid Moyes£1,040,558
WolvesNuno Espirito Santo£26,130,382

Just reply with what teams you want, first come first served

Last edited:
I'd be keen to get involved mate, but just to double check, are you running on Fm20 or 21?

I love a good Chairman Game. Hopefully we get a full league of people involved. I'll take Man City.

I love a good Chairman Game. Hopefully we get a full league of people involved. I'll take Man City.
Added. I'm willing to kick off once we hit 9,10 players but will likely sit until Monday morning before making a decision to give some time for folk to join

Unfortunately the response to this hasn't been as great as I'd anticipated. For now, until such a time occurs where support is more widespread, I'm going to cancel the game. Apologies to everyone involved, I just don't see it being worth the considerable time required to run a game with so few people participating. Thanks for signing up though and maybe there will be one in the future.

Unfortunately the response to this hasn't been as great as I'd anticipated. For now, until such a time occurs where support is more widespread, I'm going to cancel the game. Apologies to everyone involved, I just don't see it being worth the considerable time required to run a game with so few people participating. Thanks for signing up though and maybe there will be one in the future.

Its a shame but probably the right decision. These games were hugely popular a few years ago. I'm not sure if the interest has died down or the number of regulars on the site has.

Its a shame but probably the right decision. These games were hugely popular a few years ago. I'm not sure if the interest has died down or the number of regulars on the site has.

Yeah I loved a chairman game on here a few years ago but just wouldn't have the time to be able to participate properly now. I'm pretty sure the number of regulars decreases every year on here which is a shame too

Yeah I loved a chairman game on here a few years ago but just wouldn't have the time to be able to participate properly now. I'm pretty sure the number of regulars decreases every year on here which is a shame too

The numbers of regulars does seem to be dropping which is surprising as the game seems to grow in popularity every year. I know there are other forums out there but you would have thought if the popularity of the game is growing then the number of users for all the forums would grow as well.

The numbers of regulars does seem to be dropping which is surprising as the game seems to grow in popularity every year. I know there are other forums out there but you would have thought if the popularity of the game is growing then the number of users for all the forums would grow as well.

Having had a look at other forums myself, I still think this is the best and easiest to navigate...especially for the main stories section that I use (I'll be honest and admit I barely look at anything else). Traffic does seem to be poor these days though....I remember back years ago when you could reach 20,000 - 30,000 views on a story in just a few months. Now if you can reach 20,000 over the course of a whole year you've done well!

The engagement on posts seems to have died right down as well, with likes and comments seriously deteriorating year on year :-(

I'd played as Man Utd if this had been going ahead. Maybe fewer players but more committed players wont be too bad but 6 is crazy low!

I'd love to know exactly why the story forums have died compared to the past. I remember my best day i had an Aberdeen story with over 300,00 views and lots of comments and discussion whereas now it feels like your just posting updates. The audience must have taken a massive hit from streamers but there is no way i could ever sit through a 3-hour stream to watch some guy get through a month of a save while he shouts at the top of his voice, puts up ads or spends 20 minutes doing a intro to the last 3 hour video. Most of them don't even timecode so you can pick out the moments in there stream you would want to watch. Something I've considered but like to play & post for fun rather than lock myself in a room to talk/shout through my save

I'd played as Man Utd if this had been going ahead. Maybe fewer players but more committed players wont be too bad but 6 is crazy low!

I'd love to know exactly why the story forums have died compared to the past. I remember my best day i had an Aberdeen story with over 300,00 views and lots of comments and discussion whereas now it feels like your just posting updates. The audience must have taken a massive hit from streamers but there is no way i could ever sit through a 3-hour stream to watch some guy get through a month of a save while he shouts at the top of his voice, puts up ads or spends 20 minutes doing a intro to the last 3 hour video. Most of them don't even timecode so you can pick out the moments in there stream you would want to watch. Something I've considered but like to play & post for fun rather than lock myself in a room to talk/shout through my save

Personally couldn't think of anything worse than to watch someone else play a game! I enjoy reading about other peoples stories and spending 5 mins here and there catching up on other people's game play as you said, but watching videos ....I'd rather watch paint dry!

Personally couldn't think of anything worse than to watch someone else play a game! I enjoy reading about other peoples stories and spending 5 mins here and there catching up on other people's game play as you said, but watching videos ....I'd rather watch paint dry!

Yeah I'm the same too - would rather just read the stories on here and even though I used to watch quite a bit of FM on YouTube 3-4 years ago, I struggle to understand the appeal of watching somebody play FM on twitch. Must be in the minority though as it seems the main audience is in twitch/Youtube now rather than forums which is a shame

I haven't played much of the current FM21 but would have been happy to have joined in a chairman game.

I do have a discord channel going with more info on should this pick up as it was a really good way to communicate with everyone and there were a few on there who loved an FM Chairman game. I will ask the people on discord to see if they want to get back into it.

I was thinking of trying one of these with the FM Retro 1991 database. Not a full league of players. Usual rules but maybe just 1 non club transfer per season. Like Man Utd can sign anyone they signed in real life at any point but only 1 non real signing per season.

I would be interested in joining a chairman game if we could get one running