Volkan Evcil

Reaction score
Hi all!
How do you guys preparing for an opposition? do you prepare or you go straight with one tactic for all opposition and doesnt care what team is it.I am not just asking for match preparation tab.what do you do to win a match :) thanks

My Prep - doesn't always work

Firstly, look at the scouts report - make notes, are they good iin the air? Do they create with through balls or crosses?

I then look at their manager - what formaiton he plays and what style? If he closes down, i'll maybe up my tempo and 'DribbleLess' to get them running themselves into the ground.

Who are their strongest players and where do they play? Do i need to close them down, tackle hard?

Geneeral stuff like that - once I work out how best to stop them from scoring, i look at how I maight vcreate.

If they are an attaacking, direct side - I may go Counter, even defensive and play a patient game.

If they are defensive, Imay go Control and keep them pinned back without leaving gaps.

Home or away? Usually more cautious when away

As with everyhting, it depends on the players you have and the players you are up against. Pre-season os good to try things out, and each game, concentrate on one o rtwo aspects of the tactic.

Important match prep

Good topic! I could learn from this thread since I'm quite guilty of just using the regular formula unless I'm in a risky situation.

I think my most relevant process is when I prepared for the World and Euro Cup Finals in a long save in the 40s ( not a complete success story - lost both finals sadly against individual moments with my beautiful Holland team ). But I mimicked this approach with most of my teams.

Back then I wanted to create a flexible tactic based on rational thinking so my primary focus was on my defence since I know that I can outperform AI on attack but not on defence.

Next step: assess opposition strengths and weaknesses.

My top priorities are my own weaknesses:

1. Look at my formation

*I made this quirky commitment which served me well (except the finals) : always have one more defender than the opposition's strikers. I played 3 at the back whenever they chose 2 striker systems ( not that often in the top matches).

*My most important choice is based on the opponent attacker in case he is good :
- is he tall or fast: informs the selection of my type of defenders (tall and aggressive vs fast with positioning)
- Is he above my defend skill: do I need to man mark him

* Wide men - how conservative each of my fullbacks needs to be, can I field wingbacks or do I need to hold back conservative fullbacks, this gives me an idea of how my attack on the wings will be freed up

2. Look at the opposition defence - this is my opportunity to take initiative
*Are they noticeably either small or slow? Can they be bullied in strength or speed? Since that would be a major opportunity to attack
*Can I take initiative in bravery or work rate? Am I able to intimidate them with a powerful target man or a hard working defensive forward (my 2 fore-planned roles)

3. Look at the midfield
* If my opposition and me seem well matched then the midfield can break the stalemate. If they defend deeper: I want to have runners from deep that can surprise them. If they press - I want to have a talented advanced playmaker who can find space.

Last edited: