Disclaimer89

Reaction score
View attachment 318355
Preseason Injury Fears!

So as the tittle states...Coming round to the start of a new season I always get the preseason injury fear! Unlike previous FM games, you now have to be extremely careful on managing a player's fitness level.

I am currently on my 4th season with Spurs and every season when my players com back from holiday I try to ease them into the friendlies to build up their fitness.

I usually start with a starting 11 that will play 45mins and then switch all 11 for 11 subs to play the last 45. Over the matches I increase the amount of time the 1st 11 play and rotate with the subs to build upon their fitness also.

I set my squad training to fitness also, mostly on medium or low; although I have tried high one preseason to check if it made a difference...it ended up just meaning they worked themselves into the ground!

Unfortunately no matter what approach I take I always end up with multiple injuries throughout preseason, sometimes being unlucky to lose a player for 3-4months!

Anyone have this problem?...If so, any advice??

Lastly this is not a moan or a rant, just simply wondering if anyone has the same issues/fears and what they do to ensure they dont suffer the above..so I can take the advice on board!

Last edited:
I do basically the exact rotation as you in the preseason (start with 45/45) and don't have this problem. I do usually pick up 1 or 2 injuries, but normally they are not serious. How many friendlies do you run and at what intervals?

I do basically the exact rotation as you in the preseason (start with 45/45) and don't have this problem. I do usually pick up 1 or 2 injuries, but normally they are not serious. How many friendlies do you run and at what intervals?

I dont tend to arrange any extra friendlies other than default (affliation friendlies and the ones my Assistant manager arranges for preseason). I loaded up an old save I have on my laptop from last season and checked my fixtures, I added a screenshot below of the first 2 seasons:

Season 1
View attachment 318283
Season 2
View attachment 318284
It seems my Assistant manager arranges them around a week apart so plenty of time for rest. It's weird, I never had this problem in previous FM games. Although I find this game to be a lot more realistic which is definitely a positive..I'm just trying to find the right strategy for getting through preseason Unscathed! haha.

Any help guys, I'll appreciate it.

EDIT: I've just noticed the amount of ''away'' friendlies scheduled. Could the traveling add to the fatigue and increased injuries or does the game not take that into consideration?

Last edited:
I do much the same. Generally make a hand full of subs at half time, leave some till the hour mark, try to rotate my starting line-ups etc. Will usually sub my "star" players first exactly because of this fear.

I also keep all my players individual training to light & steer clear of certain ti's in friendlies ("get stuck in" for example always seems to end in tears). Still get the odd injury but never anything too bad. Knock on wood.

Not sure if the amount of away games exacerbate the problem you're having, but I schedule 100% home games. I actually schedule friendlies every 5 days or so, not a fan of the 3-4 friendlies a week. And I only schedule around 5 total. Not all players will be 100% fit to start the season, but most will generally be at a good fitness level and I think the less strenuous preseason schedule might prevent injuries