Kaz1983

Reaction score
So is there a way of getting your team to switch between "pressing" the opposition and "pressuring" the ball carrier? Whilst being mindful of "consolidation" of the teams shape/positioning (we you need to compress, when you don't..). I suppose what I want is to be able to press certain players of the opposition, this would be their defensive players - if they are playing 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2, their DM for example - cut the supply of to their more attacking players but if the ball is played forward from that DM/the pressing-harrying didn't work and the ball wasn't able to be won "high up the pitch", my team will fall back into a defensive block and defend.

Here are the principle of defense:

Pressure – immediate positioning in front of the ball carrier, in order to win the ball through tackling, prevent the long ball, or impede forward dribbling
Delay/Contain – almost the same as pressure, except the intention is more to impede forward progress to allow players to get into recovery shape behind the ball
Cover/marking – coverage of space and players behind the ball, in the order of attackers in near and forward positions to the ball carrier, attackers square to the ball carrier, and then attackers immediately behind the ball carrier (double-marking)
Balance – positioning of players away from the ball, protecting the back post area and width of the goal, as well as holding the offside line (but not necessarily an offside trap, which is a strategic use of “balance”)
Consolidation – compression of the spaces between players in a line, between the lines, and either towards the ball or towards the goal being defended

I've got good results playing a high line - with a midfield "2-3" two DM's, then into of them a LM, CM and RM. Pressing of just one tick under "close down whole pitch", the only problem was I had the problem of my striker being isolated? Right now I'm playing a 4-4-1-1 with attacking fullbacks - pressing of just one tick under "close down whole pitch", same high line approach but against teams with an attacking threat my midfield can get run over (usually away, I have a great home record..) .... lack of compression of the same between "defense" and "midfield" is a big reason why.

I want to play a high line with pressing as a team to win the ball back -as high up the pitch as possible but want my team be able to drop off when they can't win the ball back within x amount of time. Pressing from the front for 90 minutes straight is almost in possible, all teams who pressing from the front/hunt in packs don't do it for 90 minutes straight - they switch between "pressing", "pressuring" and "consolidation" There are other triggers that team who pressing from the front use (Barca being a prime example):

Try to win the ball back within x amount of time after losing it

If the ball-carrier takes a bad touch, press intensely
If the ball-carrier turns to face his own goal, press immediately
If the ball isn’t won back within x amount of time, fall back into a defensive block in front of goal and defend.

Is it in the oppositions instructions pre-match were this can be implemented?

Set the whole team to "close down in our own half"

But then in oppositions instructions set certain players -their 5 defensive players, to close "close down always"

The idea would be that you pressing them when you lose the ball in their attacking third, with the idea being trying to win the ball as high up the pitch as possible. But once their more attacking players get the ball, your team drops back into a defensive block and becomes hard to break down.

Also is having coaches that have high attributes in "tactical" and "defending" be of great help?

Same setting training "defensive positioning" on a regular basis (50% of the time say....at least to being with), would it help?

Last edited:
Some excellent thoughts. Unfortunately pressing in game simply isn't advanced enough to really achieve what you are describing. That's why you can't quite seem to get the balance.

I understand that yep.

As I said the hunting in packs/forcing type pressing is best when players are very close to each other.

Here's some examples;

Sacchi and Milan...

Arrigo Sacchi ACMilan defensive - YouTube

The 6 second rule...

How Barcelona Players Get The Ball - The 6 Seconds Rule - YouTube

Barca's pressing vs Athletic...

Barcelona Pressing vs. Athletic ||Copa Del Rey Final 2012|| - YouTube

So playing 5 in midfield would be key right?

Yes Milan under Sacchi played a 4-4-2 but Ruud van Gullit dropped deep to become a 5th midfielder -an attacking midfielder, when they lost the ball anyways. Also would that mean the mentality of your more attacking midfielders and striker (your RW, LW, CM and/or AM) might work well if it's more defensive than your defensive players (your LB, RB, CB's and DM's) .... the reason I suggest this is because the idea would to 'compress' the space between your defense and midfield. Get your defensive 5 players to push up (your playing a high line/off side trap btw) and your midfield naturally drop back, 'compressing' the space between your defense, midfield and striker?

Some excellent thoughts. Unfortunately pressing in game simply isn't advanced enough to really achieve what you are describing. That's why you can't quite seem to get the balance.

Yeah the right 'balance' is what I'm searching for... :p

Ohhh btw I'm gonna give a few things said a test on FM 2003 and see how it goes/posts my results - I thought it will interesting to play around with different 'width' and 'defensive line' settings plus 'mentality' and 'pressing' settings.............. also pressing types, 'zonal marking' and 'man marking' ....... Just to see what happenings, as I said before I've got my team 'pressing'/'forcing'/'hunting in packs' before........... it might be interesting..

Last edited:
on fm 2003? :)

I am currently testing my tactic which in it's formation is extremely defensive, Thereby restricting space for the opposition. I have also used different defensive settings throughout the team, some on Man/tight:yes and some on Zonal/Tight Yes and the wingbacks on zonal/Tight no. This combination (although it doesn't work all the time) often leads to the ballcarrier being marked and the zonal tight no then blocks his passing lane.

The problem in FM2013 is that the defense only goes after the ball unless you tell it to mark a specific player.