Pressing with 2 strikers - question about Jupp Heynckes Bayern with Gomez and Muller

jjrroen

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a big fan of the 442 that jupp deployed while he was coach in Bayern.

Which roles would you give the two strikers? In the game against Barcelona they where in front of the midfield protecting the pass to Barcelona's midfield, after that they played fast counters..

How can i create this? Which roles would you give them?

jupp played 4231

I think Igneos79 is right; Bayern were a 4-2-3-1 team under Jupp Heynckes. But where Barcelona relied on the skill and passing precision of their clutch of diminutive attacking midfielders, supported from deep by Yaya Toure, Bayern's was a more physically robust interpretation, relying on pace on the wings and strong centre forward play in the middle - with support from central midfield and both full-backs.

At the time, there was talk (in the various football podcasts that I listen to) that this was the model that England should look to emulate because it was closer to the traditional English style, rather than trying to develop more technically gifted players to fit what the Spanish were doing.

But ignoring that for a moment, if I wanted to press with two strikers in FM, then I would play 4-4-1-1 with a Shadow Striker behind a Deep-Lying Forward, with Team Instructions to:

- Retain Possession
- Shorter Passing
- Work Ball Into Box
- Pass Out From Defence
- Exploit The Flanks
- Play Wider
- Push Higher Up
- Hassle Opponents
- Get Stuck In
- Higher Tempo

The combination of Hassle Opponents, Get Stuck In and Push Higher Up instructs your team to occupy the opponent's half of the pitch. The instructions relating to tempo, width and possession tell them what to do with the ball once they have won it back.

Individual instructions to Close Down More can be issued to all defenders and central midfielders (I prefer a Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support and Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend); those central midfielders should be encouraged to play More Direct Passes to truly Exploit The Flanks and capitalise on space as soon as - and wherever - it appears among the opposition's defensive lines; get your strikers to Move Into Channels and the Shadow Striker in particular to Shoot More Often.

If you're determined to have the more traditional 4-4-2 shape, though, then a front two of a Defensive Forward_Support and Advanced Forward_Attack - with the AF playing on whichever side corresponds to his strongest foot - would be my preference; one to do the donkey work and the other to capitalise when you have the ball back. If you find that your team is really successful at winning the ball back high up the pitch, you might want to experiment with a Poacher instead of AF.

Last edited: