Prestons Narrow Splitter - 2-4-3-1 . Treble With Newcastle Season 2

DaveyP16

Reaction score
This is the first time in about 6 versions of FM that I have attempted to create my own tactic. I usually opt for the lazy ready made tactic from this website. The first time I have ever uploaded a tactic so try not to be too critical with - i'm open to improvements.

I have used a few FM13 tactics from this website with some success and the formation I have created take into account a lot of the same factors as some of the other tactics on this site.

I to version 7 of my tactic by 16th November (in game). Stayed with it to the end of the season and played 43 matches with 35 wins, 4 draws, and 4 losses. The draws and losses however all included my second string players.

I have only tested it with my very strong second season Newcastle squad so not sure how it will work with mid-low teams.

The Formation..

View attachment 283327

The key to this formation is your wing backs. You need fast, good crossing and high stamina players. The amount of chances these players create and end up on the end of in ridiculous. The formation is narrow based with lots of short passes in the final third often ending with a full back being slipped in.

This formation will concede possession and will have a high number of shots off target against you, but it does also play some fantastic attacking play. The reason for lots of off target shots against you is because you crowd out your own final third with your DC's and your DM's. Opposition wingers will still get round you, I havent been able to stop that in this ME so I just fill my defensive areas.

The Dcs close down a lot less than the rest of the team so that they are in key positions to defend.

The DMs. You need high work rate teamwork stamina, composure and tidy passers. Although set very defensive they still end up with a lot of possession outside opponent area. Their job is simple. Protect the defenders, break up play and give it easy to your creative attacking 3 in front of them.

The 3 players in the AMC positions all vary in roles making them a nightmare to play against. They receive lots of short passes from the DM's and try to find that elusive through ball to your striker or often the wing backs getting in behind defences.

The Striker - This guy is only interested in scoring goals. There is that much going on around the outside of the opposition box I have taken away some of his creative freedom, he stays central (normal wide play), and he doesn't roam from position. Cavani in this role was frightening for me.

Every game I calmly tell my players to relax and the result will come, then if not winning by at least 3 at half time I aggressively give them a kick up the backside.

OI are left to Assistant.

]
Some pics...

View attachment 283328View attachment 283329View attachment 283330View attachment 283331View attachment 283332View attachment 283333
View attachment 283335

View attachment 283334

oh and always shout work balls into box from start

Last edited:
Think I actually uploaded an older version, how do I update this attaching the newest one?

It actually gets a few goals from corners too.

Just started a season with QPR with it.

looks solid mate, im playing a similar 4231 but with full back's and cm's instead of wing backs and dm's. its been pretty successful so far, but im interested in trying your tactic out, to compare it to mine, see if it works better or if i can learn something towars mine. im a little weary about the stregth of the aquad with which you achieved these results. have u tried this tactic out with lesser players?

Just blasted through a season with QPR. Only signed 1 player - Wellington Nem. Went on holiday for full season, so didn't use my in game shouts, and also quite a few injuries, mainly to full backs (Fabio especially).

Finished 10th, but only 4 points from 4th!

Jury still out, think it is definitely suited for stronger teams, but will keep testing.

View attachment 283604

How did you get the funds to Sign Gotze, Verrati, Cavani,etc?

Since the start I sold
Cisse - Chelsea 24m
coloccini - arsenal 9m
gutierrez - napoli 5m
marveaux - reading 5m
BA - Bayern 25m
tiote - chelsea 17m
cabeye - spurs 25.5m
steven taylor - arsenal 15m
abel hernandez - madrid 13.5m (signed on free)
Willian 23m (signed for 10)

along with the rest of the fringe players.

Bought gotze and cavani over 48 months, and verratti from an agreed loan price after paying a decent loan fee too.

I have tried this alongside various tactics for my Rangers save and have had grreatest success with it. Am in my 2nd season and played Celtic 3 times, lost heavily twice with other formations but was winning 2-1 with yours until 3 minutes to full time when I had a player sent off, ended up losing 3-2.

Gonna try soon with a team in the English championship

I will try this evening with Hannover 96, a good mid-table team in the german Bundesliga, the last 2 seasons ended with qualification for the Europe League. With this tactic maybe more |)

I will try this evening with Hannover 96, a good mid-table team in the german Bundesliga, the last 2 seasons ended with qualification for the Europe League. With this tactic maybe more |)

great tactic, working very well, 2nd place with hannover after the first half of season, least goals allowed, a little bit problems with scoring ( 26 - 11 goals)

Since the patch I have noticed it is not as effective. Also this is for a top team only! Use a weak team and you get rolled over. Ideal for those starting with Chelsea, Man City etc. Will work on changes, but struggling to find a solid tactic in new patch.