adc123

Reaction score
I'm in 2016 with Crystal Palace in the premier league. Survived two seasons in the league playing quite defensive counter attacking football. Getting a decent squad together so thought I would try and play a more attacking formation this season. However I'm getting pummelled every game. Lost 4 nil to fulham and arsenal just put 5 past me. Best result is 2 nil vs Swansea.

Atm I'm playing 4 2 2 2. It's probs easier if I just list my players I guess.

Speroni, cerny, rudd

Dodo, jonathon parr, Kieron Gibbs, kalas, Jane, vergaard forren, nathanial clyne, regen called Gomes , Alex marrow.

Frimpong, Romeu, carrick, labyad, Wilfred zaha, Sean scan ell, bebe

Soukouna, callejon, macheda.

My main issue is that whenever I get a chance my strikers or wingers never put it away. Every one on one goes sailing wide or is easily collected by the keeper.

Assuming you have given the players time to gel into new formations/tactics, maybe they're just not cut out for it, or doesn't fit into the style of play? As I'm three years behind you in my save, advising you on players wouldn't do much good...

If your strikers can't learn useful PPM's like 'place the ball' or 'go round keeper' etc., maybe replace them? Skills like calmess and decisions are of course important when handling those one on one sitiations.
When playing controlling/attacking tactics, I usually use one striker who's a natural trequarista alongside an adv. striker or poacher. Or I play a 4-2-3-1 formation (LB-CB-CB-RB, BWM sup/def-CM sup/DPL sup, AML-AMC-AMR, ST), the AMC being a trequarista or advanced playmaker with great decision skills etc. (makes the clinical passes, and don't loose the ball).

The danger of playing attacking/controlling is of course (as you probably have experienced) beeing caught off guard when opponents win the ball in midfield etc. For these tactics to work, you need CMs with good ballwinning(/tackling), passing and calmness skills.

If your four men upfront, with the help of the CMs, are able to keep the ball and keep attacking, try to make the fullbacks stay in defense rather than joining the attack. I've gotten hammered a lot by opponents exploiting the space behind FB's rushing forward...