jonashagensen

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on how to tweak my tactic, so to step up my game. I am three seasons in with Tottenham, I have recently played a 4-2-3-1 narrow (modified) - I'll attach it here - with control/fluid. I'll also attach a snapshot of my tactic so you can see the different roles etc (note: that pic was from after I tweaked a bit, going from control to attack). My, maybe naive dream, is to play a high intensive, possession oriented attacking style. I have very technically gifted players who should be able to pull off such an ambitious tactic. I use my full backs to create crosses and have my attacking midfield trio in the centre. My lone man up front is a complete forward and last season he bagged in 25 goals in the league. Although I hoped my attacking midfielders would provide most of the goals, usually one of my full backs gets most assists during a season. Usually overall high average ratings on all players, except central defenders and defensive midfielder.

I have been pretty successful, reach champions league each year, even winning CL in the second year. But I never seem to win the league and am now close to getting the sack. In games I generally dominate possession, create more chances and I tend to always score first. My problem is I never manage to hold a lead, even if by two goals. Granted some of my players reach 60% fitness from 60 min and onwards, but it doesn't seem to matter even if I sub them.

Since my problems don't get solved I have tried to tweak a bit, and have now changed my mentality to attack and changed to crossing from deep rather than overlap. Only played three games after that, but it seems I create more chances, dominate possession less, and my full backs don't rate that high.

I am expected to win the league - I have no higher than 3rd place so far - and in current game am about 6-7th 15 games in.

I attach my recent game against West Ham for reference.

Hope you can help! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So given that holding onto leads is an issue, what do you do when you're in the lead and the opposition is throwing players forward?

For starters, hitting early crosses in a possession based tactic doesn't really make much sense. I would also advise switching between Attack and Control at certain points in the game, especially if your 2-0 or more up. This will stop your team from tiring out so much and making it easier for the opposition to attack them

Thanks

Tried to answer many times here, but I always get an error message. Anyway, thanks for helping out. My tweak actually gave me the title last year, and my attacking midfielders have more assists than my full backs now. I create more chances , but I don't dominate possession as I used to.

I am now looking for a second option tactic that would be more on the counter for difficult away games.

Any tips to how I can better my current tactic would be appreciated. Thanks