Coupdhaha

Reaction score
Hey guys

I can't seem to get the most out of Gotze for my Manchester United team. I'm in my second season and I've retrained him in the AMC role as a supporting playmaker. However, he's only been averaging 6.9-7 for most games this season and his highest rating has only been a 7.3! All his duties are default expect for closing down which I've made for his half only.

I play a 4-1-3-2 with one centre mid (BWM), 2 advanced wingers and an AMC.

It.'s immensely frustrating as his stats just don't add up to his performances. Willian whom I have initially bought as my backup playmaker on the other hand is able to average 7.4.

Help?

play him as advanced playmaker!
And it would help if you play 4-2-3-1, it's working better (for me).
Oh, and use inside forwards on the wing, it would help Gotze as he would have more options for a through-ball!

I play him as a left winger set to Inside Forward. Retraining him will prevent him from achieving his full potential unfortunately. But even if he hasn't improved since the day you got him, he is good enough to average higher than that. Have you considered utilising him in a wide role?

Is he set to the teams playmaker in team instructions? You could also try setting him as the target man with pass to feet as the instruction (i had much success with this setup with C Ronaldo on FM10)

Who is he playing with? Do you have a deep lying forward or a trequarista playing up front? These kinds of forwards drop deep and effectivewly become an attacking midfielder, meaning Gotze essentially becomes a bystander.

I have Rooney as a complete forward (support) who right now is in one of his slumps. Hernadez is fantastic as the poacher.

Gotze is set to the playmaker in the team instructions. I've also tried a few times with him as a left winger as an inside forward. However he performs marginally better but his lack of pace is frustrating.

I've got Hazard on IF now and he's been lighting up the league.

I might start of a new save and hold off buying him until the second season when he's 20.

Last edited:
Where are you playing Ganso?

Gotze is best played as advanced playmaker or inside attack, he is best running past his man and passing, rather than the more stationary support role. As Jake touches on, its important to make sure he has the space to attack into, You probably want your forwards on high mentality attack roles to stop them sitting in his space, ie poacher, advanced forward or complete forward attack

Where are you playing Ganso?
Woops sorry. Ganso's not in my team. Slip of the fingers.

Taking to you guys makes me understand how very little I know even after 2 months of playing FM. Hahaha

Thanks for all the advice. I'll make a new save and slap him as IF attack and try Hazard as the AMC.

Retrain him to amr insid frwd or advanve playmaker. then see. bcoz i was frustrated with valencia and sold. Nani always simply shoots the ball so i bought jovetic and gotze and retrained to amr. they cuts inside and make lots of assists. oly i got success with thiago and willian in att mid role

Give him time. He will perform if u play him as a DC stopper within a season or two. dont fill your team with to many stars to early, if you do you may find they dont all perform as you'd hope.

Had great success with Gotze as AML-advanced playmaker-attack. Played with a 4-2-3-1 with a poacher up top. Gotze takes on the fullback, draws CB, and threads the ball through to your striker. I would suggest giving him a bit of creative license, and a bit of finishing training.

Had great success with Gotze as AML-advanced playmaker-attack. Played with a 4-2-3-1 with a poacher up top. Gotze takes on the fullback, draws CB, and threads the ball through to your striker. I would suggest giving him a bit of creative license, and a bit of finishing training.

Completely agree with the above, I used him as AMR - Adv Playmaker attack and a fairly high creative license (I think I let him roam also) and he does exactly what the quoted user describes, draws defenders, threads to (in my case) Fernando Torres and Torres hardly misses 1v1.