Project Totaal Voetbal - A Dutch Emulation Tactic

No they will do the job - if you read the OP you'd know they would. I've often played players there with the red circle, and they've done great. More players can play in this role than a normal wingers role. Steven Gerrard, Carlos Tevez etc. could all play there as well.

I've read the OP, but I still feel they won't really shine as a def winger. Ah well, I'll see how it goes.

Yeah, have a try with it. It works as it isn't really a defensive winger role (that's just what I based it on) - I've changed the PIs a lot.

I'll try this and make this better, I think I'll change it to Legendary Formation 2-3-2-3

Whatever you want mate - I used Standard successfully, so I don't think it matters a lot.

Okay, I started a game with Man city (I reckon this is the best team to test with: two complete fwds in the squad [Dzeko and Tevez], enough budget to buy the correct players, etc).

I bought the following players:
View attachment 162470

At the moment im 6 games far and everything is on maximum in the match preparation. This is the league table:
View attachment 162471

You'd say 4 wins and 2 losses is not that bad right? Well, I've lost to the following teams:
View attachment 162472

I just can't accept losing to blackburn (19th) and Wigan (17th) as Man city. The wins were very close most of the time, the other team had more chances than me most of the time. Also the 1 - 0 against Cerlce Brugge (at HOME!) and the 1 - 1 against Sporting CP aren't good results either.

On top of that, I got 3 red and 6 yellow cards in 6 (!) matches.

I'm sorry, but I'm switching to another tactic. This one just doesn't do the job. I feel sorry for you, cause you've put a lot of effort in it. Maybe it's my bad luck?

PS: It's not my team talk either. My team talk is similiar to Wolfsong's one.

Anyway, it's not because it doesn't work for me, it won't work for someone else.

Last edited:
The aim of this tactic isn't necessarily to deliver results immediately, but rather to manipulate the match engine in order to recreate a simulation of what the style looked like in real life. Total Football wasn't pioneered overnight. It took months for the players to know themselves and their team-mates movements so that every thing flowed seamlessly, around one another.

I think in the 2nd season it's more likely to have success. I have to say i gave this a go with Barca and after a bumpy start we went on to win the league quite comfortably. it's all about patience.

Okay, I'm back at FM10 now anyway (I've got a long save there) cause I like that one more than FM11 at the moment. I'll give it another shot when I'm going back to FM11

It works really well for my Tottenham team :) good tactic, beautiful to watch :D

wow has this really gotten 0 replies in over two weeks? **** shame. this is a great tactic man. i loaded up a huge club legends database and a worldwide superleague. obviously i'm playing with ajax, but your tactic is the one who is dominating the league. i got 65% possession to win against a barca team with many of the greatest players of all time...

Just had a look through this Ed’s, considering the effort you have put in, it’s only right that I give it a shot. Will let you know how I get on.

Hi i love the idea of this brilliant tactic being emulated in FM. I was wondering what your ideas would be on using this with milan. I see that you have featured Robinho as a safe bet for one of the defensive wingers.

This is roughly the team i would play:
Abbiati
Zambrotta Silva Nesta Antonini
Ambrosini Van Bommel Gattuso
Pato Ibrahimovic Robinho

Cheers for some more replies guys, and thanks for giving it a go. :)

Will be looking at making a version 2 of this soonish, if anyone has anymore suggestions to go in, please feel free to post them up.

@houghtie14, that team looks very good indeed. Almost perfect in fact.

Eds can you post that video about total football again. the youtube one is blocked

Last edited:
In my first match with Ajax, I won 2-1 at rubin and created 5 clear cut chances. Simply wonderful , will try to keep you updated .I've never created that much CCCs in one game.

I'm using united but i can't dominate possession? anything that can help?

been testing it for a dozen games now

Team: Helsingborg If
Season: 2016
League: Swedish Premier League - match 1-8
European Competition: EURO Cup - first and second elimination rounds
Key players: GK (CA 159) - LMC (CA 142) - MC (CA 154)

My HIF has been built in order to compete with European Top Clubs in five or six years time. The result has been reached, with a couple of Champions League quarter finals in the last two seasons. This year the draw has not been nice to me, and i got Barca and Man City in round one. Result is, i went straight to EURO cup. So, considering the three months hiatus in Swedish Premier League, i decided to test this tactic that suits very well my football philosophy.
The results, so far, has been very good.
The Swedish PL is a pretty easy competition when your team has got a high potential. Nonetheless, the match results were far better than the ones of the past five years and the football played was a joy to behold. Eight games won, with 4 or 5 goals scored each game and a couple of goals conceded on the overall. Ball possession was incredible, with peaks of 75% in a couple of games. The goals scored were almost equally divided among players, with midfielders banging it in quite often, wide wingers getting the occasional cross on the second post and central defenders scoring from set pieces. Why my left winger often finds himself being the last defender on counter-attack, it is still a mystery to me, but it's part of the joy of totaal voetbal, so i accept it quite gladly

Anyway, the real test was obviously going to be the matches of EURO Cup. The draw sent me to Stade Louis II to meet AS Monaco of current Player of the Year Paulo Henrique and former Champions League finalist. The first leg was home. The result, 3-2, should not create confusion. Monaco scored from a corner in the first minutes, but from that moment on, my HIF pushed them in their own area, banging three goals in in 70 minutes, with a couple of woods in the process. Then Riviere took a gift of my right-back to score again, but the sense of the game was clear. The return leg was opened by a header of my centre-back and their equalizer only came at minute 89, when I already changed three key players.

The second round gave me an even worst challenge. Napoli won three Serie A since 2010 and Cavani is an absolute monster when it comes to scoring. The home leg was a nightmare. My strikers got plenty of CCCs but never converted a single one (the Cruyff-like complete striker is what i miss the most in my team). The defence, on the other side, didn't concede either, mostly due to my almighty keeper. That's until minute 79 when my right-back (yeah, him, again!) grounded Cavani on the left side of my penalty area. El Matador duly converted and it's 0-1. Thank god i've got quite a good rightwinger myself, who did exactly the same thing Cavani did to my defender, giving us the equalizer. But a home 1-1 it's not the best result when playing a world class team. At least, if you play conservative football, of course. My totaal voetballer didn't give a **** of the first leg result and went straight of for napoli's net. 65% of ball possessions, 20 shots (8 of which on goal), one wood and 0-2.
i don't know if this run will continue and what will happen when i play teams such as barca or man utd with this tactic, but at the moment i'm loving it and i'll keep giving feedback to you!

new feedback!

Season 2016 ended with the usual Swedish Premier Division title and a QF defeat by Inter in EURO Cup

Season 2017 seems the give the best results I've had with any of the tacticts I tried with Helsingborgs IF

it's August 2nd 2017 and my team leads the SPD with 49 points out of 51, 67 goals for and 5 against
plus, I'm current holder of the EURO Cup. after the usual third place in CL first group (Palermo and Barcelona, with two draws against Los Cules, 3-3 at Olympia and 2-2 at Camp Nou) i got olympiakos in the first knockout round of EURO cup. don't know why, but from the match preparation screen i saw that during the summer my players forgot how to play this tactic and i scraped two draws (3-3 in Athens and 1-1 home) and went through. second round was against tottenham who were easily the best team of the competition with the likes of neymar and abel hernandez in their starting eleven. even so, i came out of White Hart Lane with a 1-3 and got the usual 3-3 home to pass this round. Sevilla popped up in the quarter finals, and i thought that was the end. when the first leg ended 6-1 at Olympia i understood that maybe i could win the cup, even if we lost 1-0 in spain. the semi-final with celtic was a rough one. lost 4-3 in glasgow (with an hat-trick of my centre-back) and narrowly won 2-0 home. the rest is history, with a magnificent overtime 4-3 with Schalke in Bari.

so, another season showed that:

pro: everyone in the team gets their fair share of chances, i don't have players that score 30 goals, but most of the team is over 8
the game itself is beautiful to see and my players learned to play in a short, fast way that reminds me of real-life Barca

cons: i don't know if it is my defence, but this tactic leaks tons of goals, mostly because if your fullbacks lose a winger you're pretty much f*****d
the fact that wingers are so wide isn't good if they're selfish cause they find themselves very often with a narrow shoot angle but they shoot nonetheless. so "pass instead of shooting" is a must-learn PPM for this tactic!