dgoacher

Reaction score
Does anyone find it difficult to blood promising players into their 1st team because their current ability star or stats are way too low to be trusted e.g. getting Brighton promoted and trying to player 2 star youngsters while trying to avoid relegation? I usually go with English players, sticking to budgets, buying or developing young talent but if I send them out on loan or stay in U21 they mostly stagnate.

Does anyone find it difficult to blood promising players into their 1st team because their current ability star or stats are way too low to be trusted e.g. getting Brighton promoted and trying to player 2 star youngsters while trying to avoid relegation? I usually go with English players, sticking to budgets, buying or developing young talent but if I send them out on loan or stay in U21 they mostly stagnate.
When you send them on loan be careful your not sending them somewhere were they will only be used as cover. Also even if said club states your young player will be a key player, still have a look at the positon he plays and check if said club have better options. Also does the club your loaning him to have good/excellent facilities, no point in sending a player to a club with awful facilities as he wont improve that much. Tbh I find the best way to get players to improve is to simply play them as much as you can. Bring them on in the last 10mins or perhaps start them in a low key cup game.

They need playing competitive matches to develop it's simple as that

Bring them on in the last 10mins or perhaps start them in a low key cup game.
They need 15mins minimum to get a match rating. They need to get a match rating for it to count towards their development.

But yeah, if they're that promising, play them rather than loan out.

They need 15mins minimum to get a match rating. They need to get a match rating for it to count towards their development.

But yeah, if they're that promising, play them rather than loan out.

This is the first time I hear about it. Where did you get that info for 15min ?

Last edited:
This is the first time I hear about it. Where did you get that info for 15min ?
You can check this in-game too. If a player plays less than 15 mins, he doesn't get a match rating.

Every year I bring in a token youth player into my first team squad for the experience of training and playing alongside the main players. He will not be seen as starting player but it is very much up to him to impress for the year. Every now and again I will give him a run in the team (usually during spells where players are either out of from or injured) and his performance will determine how much game time he gets. At the end of season if this player makes the squad of my best 11 for the season then he has broken through and I will consider him as a full squad player onwards. It is a win-win for both myself and the player and the risk is minimal. This is a strategy I have adopted for many of FMs and I developed many good rotational players using this strategy and in some cases key / world class players.

they must have high Professional, Ambition and Determination to develop and if these attributes are low then they'll never reach their PA

they must have high Professional, Ambition and Determination to develop and if these attributes are low then they'll never reach their PA
Determination is not involved. Only Professionalism and Ambition is needed for optimum development and then there's of course game time.

Hmmm... I always thought that Determination is important for development too but I agree that Professionalism and Ambition are the most important attribute to look at

Hmmm... I always thought that Determination is important for development too but I agree that Professionalism and Ambition are the most important attribute to look at

WJ is right, ambition and professionalism are the main attributes to look at. Determination doesn't play any role in the player development, but will affect the player's reaction during a match that you're losing... Higher his determination is, higher the chance is he'll fight to score until the last second of the game... (Liverpool - Milan 2005, Liverpool - Dortmund 2016, Chelsea -Psg 2015...).

WJ is right, ambition and professionalism are the main attributes to look at. Determination doesn't play any role in the player development, but will affect the player's reaction during a match that you're losing... Higher his determination is, higher the chance is he'll fight to score until the last second of the game... (Liverpool - Milan 2005, Liverpool - Dortmund 2016, Chelsea -Psg 2015...).

Interesting - didn't know that.

It's a myth that we cannot get rid of, unfortunately. :(

You can check this in-game too. If a player plays less than 15 mins, he doesn't get a match rating.
I'm not talking about the match rating... I'm talking about how and why it only counts towards their development if they play 15+ min. What you are saying it seems that subbing on someone after 75th minute is useless as it doesn't help their development.

where can you see Professionalism and Ambition?

They are hidden attributes, so you normally can't "see" them without using an external tool like FMRTE or Genie Scout.

However, you can have an idea of it
1) on your scout report
2) according to the player personnality

The positive ones are:
- Model citizen (the best one to have and the rarest)
- Resolute
- Model professional
- Perfectionnist (this one is good IF you manage a big clup (high reputation) as his ambition is between 18 and 20 and it means the players wants to win trophies!!! ;)).

This can help you to understand the personnalities, and how to match the players in your 1st team with good personnalities, with your young players with high potential (tutoring):

https://sisportscentre.com/player-personality-tutoring/

Enjoy ;)

I'm not talking about the match rating... I'm talking about how and why it only counts towards their development if they play 15+ min. What you are saying it seems that subbing on someone after 75th minute is useless as it doesn't help their development.
This is general knowledge. It's always been the case that a player needs to get a match rating for it to count. These days, a player needs 15 minutes minimum for him the get a match rating and so for it to count toward developing.

Here's one: playing youth

Here's another, older thread: Player development affected by good performances?

I also checked with Cleon yesterday and it is still the case that there needs to be a match rating for it to count. Cleon knows the training system better than a lot of the guys at SI, tbh.

This is general knowledge. It's always been the case that a player needs to get a match rating for it to count. These days, a player needs 15 minutes minimum for him the get a match rating and so for it to count toward developing.

I Back that up...

Cleon knows the training system better than a lot of the guys at SI, tbh.

...and this too, lol :D

I also checked with Cleon yesterday and it is still the case that there needs to be a match rating for it to count. Cleon knows the training system better than a lot of the guys at SI, tbh.

Cheers man ! Very helpful.