Promoted from Conference South - now absolutely screwed! What?

Play pre-season friendlies against the worst teams you can find. Thumping them will build confidence. As for getting players. The negotiations I've found to be quite varied in terms of how far players will come down. Lock your available wage and if they give you an option with a higher appearance fee, take it. Trial days work well too. Ask for the chairman to set one up. You'll likely find a few good players there.

Go to Luton and try to get a striker called Zane Banton on loan. He has 16 goals in 32 appearances for me in the conference second season with Ebbsfleet and I'm not paying any of his wages. I've also got an English winger called Lewis Neal on loan from Portland in the USA who is decent, but you have to contribute £200pw of his wages.

I had a similar situation myself, I am Stalybridge, got them promoted to the Conference Prem, but on promotion lost my status from Professional to semi!! I was well within budget throughout the season, but now the my players aren't interested in renewing and I cant attract better players. to top it off, my board in the 3rd season expect a high table finish. all because I had low crowd records so had hardly no income.

As someone said above, a trial day might unearth the odd player worthy of the team. Also, try and secure yourself a senior affiliate club. Speak to your board, try and arrange this and it could benefit you in a couple of ways. Firstly, they could pay a fee which offsets your debts. Secondly, you might be lucky enough to be sent the odd loan player from them. Worth a go at least! Try and arrange home friendlies against bigger clubs if you have a free week. Normally it's an idea to do this as much as possible during pre-season but if you have a gap before a game it could be worth doing to bring in a bit of extra revenue.

I am having a horrible time in the Conference South with Solihull. The 1st season was all about not getting battered according to the board... so i finished 9th and thought i was going to get an open top bus parade based on the fans and boards reaction!!

...however, my key player (Omar Bogle - Forw) who got 24 goals and 8 assists left. From January onwards he just didn't want to stay. Then is the finance issue. I have the lowest wage in the league of £3,400 a week but still managed to lose near £100k in season 1.

So pre-season consisted of 9 friendlies against Birmingham, Derby, MK Dons, Cov (and a few league 2 teams) to try and get a few £££ in the bank.... i lost them all by the way.

So now i'm about 13/14 games in and i'm about 8th but if it wasn't for Darryl Knights (shadow striker) i think i'd be bottom.

I'm finding the game a bit too realistic at grass roots... I wanted a £29,624,363m investment!!

Keep up the solid start to your conference season and hopefully you'll be okay... I don't think I will be in the conference anytime soon (may have to wait for Wayne Rooney's Solihull based doppleghanger to come through my youth ranks)

i also think a trial day would be great and whoever said a senior affiliate is on the right track 2

I am doing save with Bath City, managed to get Plymouth as my affiliate team after promotion to the conference. Unfortunately the better players they had available for loan and which the club offered to me, didn't want to play at such a low level so only really managed to get a few squad players.

You just have to keep searching the free transfers list and occasionally can find a real gem! I smashed the Conference South last season and kept the first team, with a few additions and is a real struggle still. Just have to survive the season and not get relegated!!!

Good Luck!

Just taken on a languishing Cambridge in conf prem. I was Rangers narrowly missing out on auto promotion and got sacked!

So here I am at the abbey stadium, when I took over they were 18th in the league. Bagged a good loanee striker from Morcombe and also nabbed my young winger I had at rangers. I've clawed some fantastic results since putting out a stable team and its just working perfectly (fingers crossed) I smashed notts county 6-1 which I've not done for a long while in any game in my previous 6/7 clubs lol

Now this is where it's not so good...

Out of the entire squad (1st team, U21, U18's) only 8 players have contracts longer than 6 months left. One of those 8 is in the first team and a key player!

The ones I've tried to renegotiate are still crying about being relegated and fear for their career stagnating!! I want to get promoted to win them over and would love to sign the loanees I have currently..

I don't wish to jinx it but this is the most successful I've been and only hope that if the worst should happen and I not make automatic and even fall in the play offs that the board recognise I've been able to turn it around with the poor finances and where they were when I joined.

I fear though if I get promoted I'll be in the same boat with expectations in the football league and almost certainly on the same budget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back