Promoted to Champions: a Leicester-City inspired challenge

Reaction score
View attachment 12503
Hello everyone and welcome to my new story/challenge!

I tried starting up a challenge in FM18 but didn't stick to it and just gave up eventually, so I wanted to try starting a new one inspired by Leicester City's title winning season in 2015/16 in the Premier League. I won't get into how much of an achievement that is as I'm sure every single one of you will be aware of the incredible season that the Foxes had that year.

So, let's get started then! As you can see from the rules above, the challenge is simple. Assign a number to each of the 3 newly-promoted sides in any league (does not have to only be Premier League!); then, use a random number generator to be given a number between 1 and 3 and manage whichever side that number is assigned to. Throughout the challenge, you'll do this 3 times and manage 3 different teams.

So far so good?

Now, the real work begins. As a newly-promoted side, you'll likely be involved in a relegation battle, unless you make some decent signings and manage a wonder season! This is where it gets a little trickier though: in the rules, I misspelled the 3rd one where I meant that you could not spend more than what Leicester have spent in the 2 years they spent in the Premier League. That means £65 million over 4 transfer windows so manage your money wisely! You will get £65 million at each new club you will manage but do keep in mind that if you ever reach that £65 million mark, whether you've been at a club for 5 years or just a year, that means no more spending until you move! Free transfers and loans are excluded from these £65 million obviously, so take advantage of that rule too.

After your first season where there'll be no expectations or pressure at all, you'll have the enormous challenge of winning your domestic league. If you don't manage to in your 2nd season, you can either continue to manage your side until you win the league or move to a newly-promoted side either in the same league you were managing or in another one!

I'd love for more people to take part in this challenge and eventually make a leaderboard to see how people do. The way I wanted to go about it was for everyone to start off with 100 points. If you don't win the league in your 2nd season at your club, you get deducted a point, in your 3rd season 2 points, 4th season 3 points and so on. As you will HAVE to manage 3 different sides throughout the challenge, you might want to be bold and stay at a club for longer and potentially lose points but build up enough of a reputation to get off to a great start at a new club when you move, or you might want to move straight away after 2 seasons and hope you can attract good players at that new club, that's all up to you. Eventually, I would be able to make a leaderboard where people will have gone through 3 different clubs and you will be able to check how well you've done compared to other players!

This could be a complete flop of a challenge or might not make sense at all, but hopefully as I get into it you'll be able to understand the concept a bit more. Without further ado, let's get started!

I've decided to start in the Premier League, so here are the numbers assigned to the 3 newly-promoted sides for the 2018/19 season:

1. Fulham
2. Wolves
3. Cardiff

And the random number generator says ...

View attachment 12502
Looks like I've got a plane to London to catch so I'll see you there!

View attachment 12501

Glad you didn't get Wolves as think it would have been too easy, at least Fulham will be a bit more of a challenge.

Glad you didn't get Wolves as think it would have been too easy, at least Fulham will be a bit more of a challenge.
Wolves would definitely not have been a challenge hahaha, although it would've probably made me move on from the Premier League quicker! Fulham is a good option though, they have spent a huge amount in the transfer window already when I start the game so should have a decent squad at my disposal

Good luck mate! Fulham looks an interesting challenge and it’ll be interesting to see how that 65 million is spent.

Hey lads, unfortunately no updates until tomorrow as I'm busy celebrating Tottenham reaching the CL semi-final so see you tomorrow with new updates, COYS!

View attachment 12357

Premier League season preview: Fulham FC

View attachment 12356

Some big news coming out of London this morning, as it has been announced that 29-year old English manager Oliver Thompson, who was born in Kenilworth, has taken over until the end of the 2018/19 season as Fulham manager! With the Lilywhites just promoted back to the Premier League, the new man will have the gigantic task of keeping the side in the Premier League, in the hopes of mounting a mid-table challenge next season.

View attachment 12355
With no professional experience to speak of, Thompson has said that he's very grateful for the opportunity to manage a Premier League club as his very first managerial job but understands that there'll be a lot of pressure on him not only due to the fans' expectations sporting wise, but also due to the board's financial expectations. The TV money associated with staying up in the Premier League would make a huge difference for a side like Fulham who have been languishing in the Championship for the last 4 seasons.

View attachment 12354
With £101 million spent by Claudio Ranieri before his departure from the club, Thompson inherits a very decent squad and one certainly able to fight for their place in the Premier League. Zambo Anguissa and Séri should help secure the midfield whilst reinforcements in defence in Le Marchand, Bryan and Mawson should be of great help as well. It is important to note that Fulham also made a further 6 signings on loan in Sergio Rico, Luciano Vietto, André Schürrle, Calum Chambers, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Håvard Nordveit.

View attachment 12353
Fulham do have a busy pre-season ahead, with 6 games to play in the space of 2 months before their Premier League opening game against fellow Championship side from last season, Cardiff. A trip on the other side of London to the London Stadium then awaits Thompson's men, before finishing off their opening 3 games in the Premier League with a home game against Southampton. Finally, the Lilywhites will be eager to impress in domestic competitions and will have the opportunity to do so just before the international break with the EFL Cup 2nd round tie against an unknown opponent.

View attachment 12352
Finally, in terms of tactics, our sources tell us that Thompson will favour a 4-2-3-1 approach in order to make the most out of his two defensive midfielders in Séri and Zambo Anguissa, as well as his great wingers and attacking midfielders such as Cairney, Markovic, Sessegnon or even Schürrle. However, the 29-year old manager will not be afraid to switch to a more solid 4-4-2 in home games where they'll need a strong performance or a 4-4-1-1 in away games where they'll need a bit more solidity and support in midfield.