whill

Reaction score
I am doing a save with Hillerød from the Danish 3rd tier. It is a semi-professional team. I promoted to the second tier in my second season and then promoted to the top division after another two seasons. At this point, the club turned professional.

In true Zealand style I have abused trials and free loans (Hillerød has very decent senior affiliates in Lyngby and Nordsjælland from the start of the game). But as I am now in the top division, I no longer have senior affiliates. I still managed to bring in a lot of decent loanees and sign a few talented youngsters. However, 5 matches into the season I have 4(!) 1-1 draws and a loss to one of the top teams.

I am a massive underdog in most matches. How should I play these? In all of my draws I have scored first and then my opponent has equalised almost immediately. We concede a lot from indirect set pieces, and it doesn't seem like a tactical thing - it is mostly due to the opposition now having much better kick takers and finishers. Most games we are under massive pressure towards the end of the game parking the bus and holding on for dear life for the draw.

I have a Dragons-inspired 4-4-2 counter tactic, which I used almost exclusively for the first 3 seasons. In the final stages of the previous season, in promotion top-half of the table playoffs, I switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 with extremely attacking wingers and a F9 striker. It worked wonders against the top sides in the division af won me the promotion, when we achieved second place on the last match day of the season.

Now being in the top league and being massively underskilled, under-rich and underprepared, how do I maximise my chances of staying up? Should I go super defensive and hope for enough points from draws and the occasional W? Or should I try to actually play football against the weaker teams (who on paper are still way better than mine)?