Promotions & Relegations.

Giggles

Reaction score
Forgive me if there is already a similar thread to this, but with the 'business end' of the season coming, I thought a thread like this would be good for some debate. Basically, I just want to see who you think will be promoted & relegated [From the PL down to L2] and why. Hopefully this will bring some good debate! :)

Champions- Manchester City

I did think until recently, Man United would win the title- However, my opinion has been changed. City have the best squad in England, and I think they will have enough about them to win the PL. It should be an entertaining title race though and I think Man United & Spurs will push them all the way, but City's strength in depth should see them through.

Relegated- Wigan, Blackburn & Wolves.

Wigan will finish bottom in my opinion. Every season we see them surviving on the final day, but again, they are in another relegation battle. Roberto Martinez does have potential as a manager but I don't think Wigan are good enough for the Premier League. Blackburn have been making improvement in recent weeks, but I still have my doubts with Steve Kean. I was hoping he would bring in a more expierenced assistant-manager and this will be a real test to keep them up, especially with the fan-base still against him and the board. As for Wolves, I just don't rate them. Currently 18 games without a clean-sheet in the league and 7 without a win; Relegation form. Apart from Fletcher, there is a lack of goals. Their next highest scorer is on 3. I think Bolton will have enough quality to stay up and Mark Hughes will be a catalyst to kick-start QPR's season.

Championship-

Promoted- Southampton, West Ham & Reading.

Every season the Championship throws up an exciting promotion battle, and thats why for me, its one of the best divisions in the World. Since promotion from League 1, Southampton have been superb. They've played some nice football, sit top of the league and have a good manager in Nigel Adkins. I think they will continue their excellent form they've produced this season and last season, to gain promotion into the PL. Another team who I think will join them, is West Ham. Sam Allardyce is a very expierenced and a top quality manager. West Ham have made some good signings [Kevin Nolan being one] and like Southampton, are flying in the Championship. I think they will take that 2nd place, they have some real quality in their team; Plenty of players who could cut in the Premier League. The final team who I think will be promoted is Reading. They did very well last season, and were close to going up and have again produced some good form this season. McDermott is a very good manager, and with players like Kebe & McAnnuf in the team they are an exciting bunch. I think they will pip the other chasers in the playoffs, but expect teams like Cardiff, Hull, Birmingham, Derby and Boro to make it difficult for them.

Relegated- Coventry, Millwall & Nottingham Forest.

As well as some exciting battles at the top, the Championship relegation battle is usually exciting. I think Coventry will be the first team to go down this season. They gambled with inexpierenced manager Andy Thorn and are having financial problems; Its been a difficult season and I don't see it getting any better. They've lost their top scorer and 7 points off safety already will prove a hurdle too far. I also think Millwall will go down. They did well last season but are really struggling now. A 6-0 defeat at home against Birmingham really shows this; They are just above the relegation zone currently but they've had a poor season and things don't look like getting any better for them. I also think, Nottingham Forest will be relegated. I watched their match against Leicester the other day.. They were shocking. They lacked confidence and any sort of goal-scoring threat. Looking at their recent form, it appears they are sinking into League 1 without trace and need a real goalscorer in their team. Doncaster & Bristol City will just keep their heads above water...

League One-

Promoted-
Charlton, Huddersfield & MK Dons.

The quality in League One is to a very high standard. Just look at Jordan Rhodes for example. I think Charlton will finish 1st this season; They've been quality. The goals of Bradley Wright-Phillips have obviously helped, and Chris Powell has done a fantastic job since taking over. Aslong as they stay focused, I have no doubts they will cruise to the League One title this season. I think Huddersfield will be joining them; They have the best player in the division in Jordan Rhodes, and that amazing unbeaten run they went on last season speaks for itself. It will be a tough battle for them though, 3 points behind 2nd place, I think they will claw that back and finish 2nd. This might suprise some people, but I think MK Dons will win promotion via the playoffs. Karl Robinson is an outstanding young manager and to be a honest, a breath of fresh air. He and the MK Dons are destined for great things together. They were very unlucky not to get something from QPR, and they do have the quality to beat-off Sheffield United, Wednesday and Stevenage.

Relegated- Chesterfield, Wycombe, Yeovil & Walsall.

It seems to be pretty tight at the bottom; Chesterfield & Wycombe who were both promoted last season, have made awful starts to their season and will have a real challenge turning things around. Maybe Chesterfield's run in the JPT will give them confidence in the league but for me, they will be relegated simply because of their poor form at the start of the season. I also think Wycombe will go down with them; Another team slightly off the pace but with only 4 points off safety and a massive match against Rochdale coming up, they might be able to turn it around- But I doubt they will. Despite the return of Gary Johnson, I also think Yeovil will fall into League 2. To be fair, Yeovil have done an outstanding job the past few years- Surviving in League One for so long, on a very low budget and its a credit they've done that well. However, it appears this is one season too far for them, which is a real shame. The final team I think will be relegated is Walsall. They survived on the final day this season and again find themselves in a relegation battle; They don't seem to have an out-and-out goalscorer in their side and I can see them being relegated. [And yes, I have left out Exeter on purpose to avoid any bias arguments.]

League Two-

Promoted-
Southend, Crawley, Swindon & Torquay.

Ah, League Two. I don't think the standard of League 2 football is 'great' but there are some very good teams in there. Southend will probably win the title; They have expierence and know-how with Paul Sturrock and a very strong squad. They've been excellent this season and look well on course for another Paul Sturrock promotion. Another team who I think will join them is Crawley. Despite being in the Conference last season, they are almost the Man City of the Football League. They have the financial power and have lived up to Pre-Season expectations very well. Despite being a controversial figure, Steve Evans is doing a very good job and with Tubbs & Barnett up front... That is probably the best in the division. The final team to join them automatically, I think will be Swindon. They have another controversial figure as a manager but do play some really attractive football. Their win against Wigan does show they have that quality in their team and I can see them powering on to take that 3rd spot ahead of Cheltenham. The final team to be promoted from League 2 in my opinion will be Torquay United; They were VERY unlucky not to get promoted last season but Martin Ling has proved his doubters wrong this season and my word- Torquay have been fantastic. Solid at the back and quick on the counter, with one of the best players in the division, Eunan O'Kane. I think they will be promoted and have the potential to become the 'best' team in Devon.

Relegated- Northampton & Hereford.

OK, so no suprises I don't think Plymouth Argyle will get relegated; With an expierenced mentor coming in for Carl Fletcher and a clear improvement in results since some expierenced players being brought in, I think we will survive in this division. Anyway, as for the teams I think will be relegated; Northampton. Yes, Aidy Bothroyd is a very good manager however it will be so difficult for him. Northamptons squad does lack any real quality and its Gary Johnson's players, not his. With the 55% wage cap, I can't see the Cobblers bringing in anymore players and I can see them being relegated. The next team who I think will be relegated is Hereford. They were another team who looked very average when they played us this season and again lack that goalscorer which is crucial. They are currently 4 points above the drop-zone which is a nice cushion, but they just that quality to stay up. I think Barnet, Argyle, Dagenham & Wimbledon will all be involved in a real relegation battle; It will probably go down to the final day, which will make it a very nervous season for me!

Anyway, thanks for reading; Obviously you don't have to post your opinion in such detail but hopefully this will generate some reponses and some replies.

Last edited:
I'll do Premier League only since I don't follow the lower leagues very much. The Football League Show makes it hard to.

Premier League
Champions: Manchester United (biased, yes)
Runners-Up: Manchester City
3rd: Chelsea
4th: Tottenham Hotspur
5th: Arsenal
6th: Liverpool
7th: Newcastle

Relegated: QPR, Wigan and Bolton

Last edited:
I think Forest will stay up and doncaster will go down, while I would also think it will be Boro v Birmingham (bias) in the playoff final and I don't know who will win.

PL wise I think that United will win the league (sigh) and the teams to go down will be Wigan, Blackburn and Wolves (unless Doyle can find form again)

Barclays Premier League

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Tottenham
4. Arsenal (I dont want to imagine us in the EL :( )
5. Liverpool/Newcastle
6. Liverpool/Newcastle

--------------------------

18. Bolton
19. Blackburn
20. Wigan

N-Power Championship

1. Saints
2. West Ham
3. Boro (Playoff winners)

---------------------------

18. Doncaster
19. Milwall
20. Coventry

In League 1 CAFC HUFC and One of the Sheffield Clubs to win the playoffs

Premier League
Champions: City
Runners-Up: United
3rd: Chelsea
4th: Spurs
5th: Arsenal
6th: Newcastle
7th: Liverpool

Relegated: QPR, Wigan and Blackburn

Relegation: Plymouth Argyle.

Reason: Cos they're ****.

Man Utd
Man City
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Newcastle
Liverpoo

Relegated- Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves

Championship-

Promoted- West Ham, Saints, Reading

Down- Millwall, Coventry, Forest

Relgated from L2- Argyle, Hereford

PL:

Champions: Spurs
Runners-Up: City
3rd: United
4th: Arsenal
5th: Newcastle
6th: Chelsea
7th: Liverpool

18th: Q.P.R.
19th: Bolton
20th: Wigan

Premier League

Winners: Manchester City (Unfortunately)
Runners Up: Manchester United
Third: Tottenham Hotspur
Fourth: Arsenal
Fifth: Chelsea
Sixth: Newcastle United
Seventh: Liverpool
Relegated: Wolverhampton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Wigan Athletic

Championship

Winners: West Ham United
Runners Up: Southampton
Playoffs Winners: Middlesbrough
Relegated: Ipswich Town (very biased), Coventry City, Doncaster Rovers