xzyzyx

Reaction score
Can someone please post pros and cons of every passing style (direct, short and default)?

Thanks

generally speaking, short vs direct passing is a compromise between possession and shots on goal. short passing is better to retain possession, while direct passing focuses on getting into goal-scoring positions as quickly as possible, which means passes are more likely to go a bit astray.

which you choose depends on your team and how you want them to play. a team like man u or arsenal, who are expected to control the game and have skilled technical players able to hold onto the ball, would be more suited to short passing game. on the other hand, a team like norwich or QPR who have just been promoted to the premier league and will be the weaker team in most of their games, will want to make the most of the ball when they have it, so use a direct passing style. there are exceptions, though - despite being newly promoted, swansea in real life stick to a short-passing style, so it comes down to what you want from your team.

also, short passing suits a 'control' strategy, while if you're playing on the 'counter', use direct passing.

hope that helps!

direct passing works best with good teams as you need quite high first touch attribute
short passing is for smaller lower table teams as both their passing and first touch sucks
if playing short, counters are ineffective as they require more direct play
direct play can leave you more open to be countered as the ball can get lost easier so you will give up possession a lot

if you want to compare short passing (with control strategy, slow tempo, no counters) against direct, attacking, counters, quick passing look at Barcelona and Real

can style of passing make our wide player (wingback, full back, striker) give more crossing?
i dunno why my player always drible even they r at line, they dont do crossing,, thats my striker
and for my wing player always do pass not cross the ball to the goals front

*sorry for my bad english

direct passing works best with good teams as you need quite high first touch attribute
short passing is for smaller lower table teams as both their passing and first touch sucks
if playing short, counters are ineffective as they require more direct play
direct play can leave you more open to be countered as the ball can get lost easier so you will give up possession a lot

if you want to compare short passing (with control strategy, slow tempo, no counters) against direct, attacking, counters, quick passing look at Barcelona and Real

I'm managing real madrid but i don't want to use a direct passing style like real life because i will lose posession and won't create alot of chances. But i don't like short passing style because it takes ages to reach a goal scoring position, especially against teams that press alot.

I guess default is a mix of both, and what would suit me best.

you will still have at least 40% passing and remember you have great defense although you might want a better DC

Passing style only affects the range at which players are allowed to look for a pass.

Think of passing style as a circle around the player which indicates his range. The longer the passing style, the larger the circle. The shorter the passing style the smaller the circle.

Tempo is what dictates how attack minded the passes are. A slow tempo will see players pass back more; a quick tempo will see them play the ball forward.

Generally you want a longer passing style with a higher tempo as it gives players a large passing area for them to find a player in an attacking position.

Last edited:
Can someone please post pros and cons of every passing style (direct, short and default)?

Thanks

as said above, short passing means more possesion...it also means more accurate strikes at opposition goal...it also means your players will sometimes return the ball back instead of going for goal. Direct means more strikes at goal, and probably more goals for your team per average, but it means losing posession, as sometimes your teams passing just isn't that good. Will your team have good or bad passing in game is almost random, so I suggest checking your assistant feedback during game to see what kind of passing he suggests . In my humble oppinion, short passing is useless, as the game always seem to finish the same as with direct passing, but with less goals on both sides. Default is the golden middle, a balance between possesion and shots on goal.

Last edited: