deptfordlion

Reaction score
Its that time of year again... January deadline day, a day that hosts a sensation seen time and time again across the country. That is Premiership managers spending premium prices on 'proven' premiership players. Last season we saw some dramatic examples of this, the one that springs to mind is Liverpool's £35m buy of Andy Carroll. However we see this consistently on a smaller scale, for example, QPRs agreed price for Bobby Zamora is around £5m, quite a large sum of money for an aging striker of his calibre. This is obviously seen in both windows, but particularly in January, when clubs are pushing for top spots or looking to strengthen their squad in preparation for a relegation battle and players will not have too much time to settle in.
What I am wondering, is whether in FM there is such thing as a 'proven' premier league striker that is worth paying the premium for, or whether it is simply better to look abroad and find a better and probably cheaper player. Apart from the issue of adaptability etc. coming from a different country are players who are not 'proven' premiership strikers really not going to do as well as some like Bobby Zamora.
Personally, when playing FM I would laugh at paying 5m for someone like Zamora but I was looking to see what others thought of this, or whether they do bring in transfers like these (or if they know something I dont).
Sorry for the long message and thanks for reading ;)

i dont tend to buy "proven" players i prefer spending money on youngsters/ regens with high potential but i do have a tendency to sign proven premiership players on free transfers as i think it seems to help when fighting premiership relegation

after a few seasons players like carrick , drogba etc all avalible on frees

i do agree with you. i tend to go for cheaper and higher quality young foreign players. I just like to think that maybe in some circumstances premium prices for english / english proven league players are worth the premium.