Foxo

Reaction score
Fatal Accident as Stoke is in crisis

27 June 2010

At 10AM this morning, Stoke City were mourning for their well-loved manager, Tony Pulis.

Pulis was believed to be on his way for the team's pre-season on this rainy day when his car skidded across the road and hit a nearby tree trunk. His car was seriously damaged and he was left unconcious.

09-car-crash-415.jpg

Police cordoned off the accident scene and moments later Paramedics came but it was too late as Pulis was pronounced dead at the scene. He was sent to the nearest hospital where his relatives cried, especially his wife.

This was what Mrs Pulis had to say about her husband's fatal accident...

" I am deeply saddened by this tragedy as this accident happened at the wrong timing. The club chairman will hold the funeral in memory of him next week. "

400x400_TonyPulisNew12-300x300.jpg

Dalglish: Pulis' sending off was full of tears

2 July 2010

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has stated Pulis' funeral was full of tears as the FA invited all managers to pay their respects.

Tony Pulis, who guided Stoke to promotion from the Championship, died last Thursday after a killer car crash occured around the city of Stoke-on-Trent. Fans of the team were present to see the sending off of the late manager's coffin.

funeral_468x290.jpg

During the funeral, veteran Sir Alex Ferguson gave a speech about how Pulis would talk to him when his team was promoted while Everton's David Moyes gave a heart-warming speech which ensured nobody left the building without tears.

The question is, who will Stoke turn to?

Without Tony Pulis, the mastermind to the team's success a few years back, Stoke can't let this matter drop. They need a manager who will make the team top-half contenders and ensure they stay in the top flight in the long run.

Chairman Peter Coates said that he would want the team to be in Europe around 2-3 years' time and wants the club to win its first trophy in 38 years. This criteria certainly puts experienced managers in the running.

bookmaker_ladbrokes.gif

Now onto the front-runners for the job at Brittania Stadium...

Steve McClaren 2/1
Martin Jol 4/1
Quique Sanchez Flores 7/1
Luciano Spalletti 12/1
Luiz Felipe Scolari 14/1
Fabio Capello 20/1

It looks like former Wolfsburg and England manager Steve McClaren is the front runner for the job but Stoke's time is running out as the FA has set a deadline of 10 August to appoint a new manager.

It's all down to Jol and McClaren

Fabio-Capello32.jpg

With Capello, Scolari, Spalletti and Flores all ruled themselves out of the running, it was all down to Steve McClaren and Martin Jol.

Steve McClaren recently stated it would be a challenge if he was appointed the new boss at Britannia Stadium while ex-Ajax boss Martin Jol said that he would bring Stoke to glory if he was appointed.

Peter Coates is reportedly seeing McClaren a few days ago and they came out of the meeting room happily but we still don't know who is the new boss.

Nice Start mate, will follow as a stoke fan myself :p

Watch Stoke City's announcement of new manager LIVE!

8 August 2010

Today, Stoke City will unveil their new manager almost 2 months after the death of Tony Pulis. Martin Jol and Steve McClaren are the two managers fighting for the vacancy.

Chairman Peter Coates is expected to unveil their new boss at around 1300 hrs local time, which is about 20 mins from now....

Now let's move on to our reporter John Sizarke, reporting live from the Britannia Stadium.

17+Peter+Coates+1.jpg

It's packed with many fans anticipating the unveiling of their new boss and many media journalists are already crowding in the conference room here.

And here he comes...

"Hello everybody, as you all know, I will unveil the new boss in 3... 2... 1... Let's welcome our new boss...

Every journalist was looking around to make sure it was real and they wasn't dreaming and that new manager was no other than the man,

Steve McClaren!

steve-mcclaren_796998c.jpg

It took journalists a few minutes to come round to and one from Goal.com asked:

"Steve, are you delighted to be appointed the new boss?"

"I really am, I am also here to rebuild my reputation."

"Given that you have jumped jobs previously, will you stick to this job?"

"Yeah.... WAIT HOW DID YOU KNOW MY PAST?! DON'T RELEASE IT TO THE PRESS!"

Coates then replied, saying:

"Steve, this is a LIVE press conference..."

"Alright boss, but I don't want to entertain anymore questions on my f**king past."

Steve then stormed out of the room, fuming mad.

EPL match 15 August 2010: Stoke City vs Fulham

brit-stadium-pic.jpg

After busy loaning young starlets, McClaren was going to make his managerial debut for Stoke City against Fulham.

It is reported that new signings Guillermo Ochoa, David Goodwillie and loanee Seydou Keita will be featured in today's squad. Here are the team news, media prediction and formations.

Injured: Ricardo Fuller, Danny Pugh (Stoke)
Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff, Danny Murphy (Fulham)

News: Stoke will be without first choice striker Ricardo Fuller who is out due to a dead leg suffered 2 days ago while Danny Pugh needs another fortnight. Fulham will be without captain Murphy and Norwegian Hangeland. Duff is doubtful.

Media Prediction: Stoke City 1 Fulham FC 1

Stoke City Teamsheet:

Ochoa
Shawcross Faye Huth
Delap Etherington Keita
Pennant Whitehead Whelan
Goodwillie

Fulham Teamsheet:

Schwarzer
Pantsil Salcido Senderos Kelly
Gera Gudjohnsen Davies Greening
Johnson Dembele

McClaren: We totally dominated 90 minutes

Matthew-Etherington-celeb-001.jpg

Stoke City's Etherington grabbed a hattrick as Steve McClaren enjoyed a dream start at Stoke City even though it was a very aggressive match.

16th minute - Scottish striker David Goodwillie had to be stretched off after just 16 minutes after suffering a gashed leg which resulted in Senderos' sending off. Etherington converted the free-kick and made it 1-0 at the break.

60th minute - Captain Ryan Shawcross was lucky to stay on the field after Pantsil's tackle on Rory Delap in the 55th minute which started a fiery fight between 7 Stoke players and 10 Fulham players. A few minutes later, Keita crossed into the box and Greening cleared with a header but it went straight to Etherington and he head it home. 2-0

73rd minute - Hungary midfielder Zoltan Gera made a lovely bicycle kick from a Gudjohnsen corner and it went into the top corner of the net, leaving Ochoa stranded. 2-1

90+1 minute - Delap went round 2 defenders before trying a screamer, Schwarzer got a tip but it went straight into Etherington who tapped it home to ensure victory. 3-1

Steve McClaren said this was one of the EPL's most aggressive match, with a total of 287 tackles and 20 yellow cards (2 red cards).

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:40 PM ----------

Injury-hit Stoke to face Champions Chelsea

21 August 2010

rory-delap_1204020c.jpg

Injury hit Stoke City will face league champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tonight at 1700 hrs local time.

Stoke beat West Ham 3-1 last week but face a tough fixture against Chelsea, who got away with only a 2-1 win over Blackpool last Monday. Stoke City's boss Steve McClaren says that the injury crisis is 'not going to affect my tactics'

More news about this clash at around 4:20PM local time.