JoeyShinobi

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I am in my tenth season with Rushden and Diamonds, and I have managed to take them up from the fifth tier to the top. This is our first season in the EPL, and we've got off to an absolute shocker. My problem seems to be that my team has been punching above its weight for quite some time, and is now getting owned. Worse, as we can't get a win for love nor money, the team's confidence is shot, we can't seem to score, and we can't keep any clean sheets (even though I'm only losing each game by the odd goal).

I am thinking I need to revert to a 4-5-1 to try and cramp other teams for space. My team are limited on ability, so I'm not expecting any dramatic results - just to give us a chance of surviving!

I've attached images of my best 15 or so players. If anyone's got any suggestions as to what I can try to stop the rot, I'd very much appreciate it - losing every game is taking the fun out of this save!

GK: Martin Kelly (my best player)
MartinKelly.png

Defenders:
Scott Finch
ScottFinch.png

Peter Devlin
PeterDevlin.png

Miguel Contreras
MiguelContreras.png

Beau Fraser
BeauFraser.png

Julio César
JulioCesar.png

John Doherty
JohnDoherty.png

Midfielders
Mario Robles
MarioRobles.png

Alfonso
Alfonso.png

Josh Payne
JoshPayne.png

Jimmy Smith
JimmySmith.png

Luc Castaignos
LucCastaignos.png

Andros Townsend
AndrosTownsend.png

Strikers
Ludek Kopic
LudekKopic.png

Derek Beck
DerekBeck.png

Jonathan Terry
JonathanTerry.png

So yeah...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Derek Beck looks like your best player just from quickly glancing at them. I don't know about your goalkeeper, he has some good stats like aerial ability and reflexes but not great overall, I'd consider somebody with more well rounded stats and higher mental stats like anticipation.

Overall your players look ok in some attributes but really poor in a lot of other important stats, like regens often are. I know you know what stats players need for each position (10 seasons and promotion up to EPL is pretty impressive) but even still I recommend you use this for reference http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/important-attributes-for-players-t23869.html and make filters in the player search screen. You will find a lot of affordable players who are a bit more solid than most of your current lineup. It's easy to just go to edit filter then click the "attributes" button in the bottom corner, set them all to 12-13 and have your assistant filter unrealistic targets, then adjust some stats downward/upward if needed.

What tactics/formation are you using now? And yes, I think 4-5-1 is a great formation for weaker teams but I suggest you look at improving your players anywhere you can. Try to loan or purchase some older players (I mean as in like 28-30, not 35+) who have solid mental attributes, they will do your squad a lot of good. Looking at the concentration/decision making ability of most of your players, I think they are hotboxing the dressing room at half time. They are young so they will develop in time, but you need experienced guys now to keep you in the premier league.

Yeah, I seriously underestimated how young my squad was - I had a policy of bringing in an older face or two every summer, for like two seasons, and then letting their contracts expire. This time, the calibre of player needed wasn't really interested in a move to Rushden, so I picked up what talented youngsters I could, but missed out on anyone who could really play in the Premier League. With the new squad rules, you can't loan anyone outside a transfer window either, so I'm stuck until January.

I had been playing 4-4-2 in previous seasons, and used a 4-5-1/4-3-3 (with two wingers and a striker), but whether or not I was using my players in the correct roles, I'm not sure. I think I might use a flat four across the middle with either Robles or Payne in front of the back four.

I agree, Beck is best on paper, but has rarely performed. Martin Kelly has been consistently my best player for some time.

Thanks for your reply though, you've picked up on some important stuff for me.