Quantum CS (4-1-3-2 DM Narrow) Tactic

• Thread starter Deleted member 520809
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 13K
Enjoyed this when you put it on the SI forums. Good to have the filters too. Works very well and certainly grinds out results. The post is even more detailed now. Thank you.

Always intersted to know some thinking behind the tactics so some questions if I can;

why hy did you settle on 180cm being the minimum height for most players?

a lot of the play focuses wide with the full backs but they just won’t cross quickly. They always take so long to cross and allow the defence to regroup and block. Very frustrating. Even with whipped crosses this is the same. Be good to focus even more down the middle but the the attacking width seems to prevent this. May be work into box to encourage cut backs is the way to go?

Set pieces are are great and wins a number of close games. Is this the same when you use it?

there seems to be very few easy chances and long shots is a good source of goals and I know it is set up that way. Would just be good to get some simple through balls and cut backs to give opposition other things to think about.

Great tactic though and and very well presented and very interesting to use. I like the tinkering with the various player instructions offered and some of the team ones.

The above is just feedback back using it.

I signed up just to reply in this thread and say that I'm really enjoying many aspects of this tactic. I've gotten Exeter promoted to the Premier League over many seasons, but with a side lower on the talent scale than others, I've found it hard to stay competitive.

What I really like about this tactic is how good it is defensively. There are many games, outside of playing the Top 4 or 5 teams, where the opposition will struggle to get more than 3-5 shots on target, and we generally control possession really well. It's rare that I'll concede more than a couple of goals in most games (unless it is someone like Man Utd away) and the tactic allows me to control and win most matches against the rest.

The only knock on the tactic at this point would be that I struggle a little in front of goal. I don't struggle for shots, or shots on target, but I'm finding that I win games 1-0 more often than not. I have a young strike partnership up front so that may be the case, but even with a few tweaks here and there I haven't been able to find the right mix that allows me to put a few more in the back of the net.

Either way, if you haven't tried this tactic out then it's well worth you time. Maybe someone else can find the right mix to get more goals on the board in the future.

Always intersted to know some thinking behind the tactics so some questions if I can;

why hy did you settle on 180cm being the minimum height for most players?

The main purpose is to have players with good height/jumping to win ball after keeper kicks. We use [Prevent Short GK Distribution] and pressing on defenders to force the keeper to use long kicks, and here are our tall guys.
If you watch a match using 2D or Data Analyst, you'll see it happen a lot, that's how we get up to 60% possession without any passing/shooting restrictions.

a lot of the play focuses wide with the full backs but they just won’t cross quickly. They always take so long to cross and allow the defence to regroup and block. Very frustrating. Even with whipped crosses this is the same. Be good to focus even more down the middle but the the attacking width seems to prevent this. May be work into box to encourage cut backs is the way to go?

SI nerfed full-backs crossing during beta and they now often dwell on the ball. Now I mostly use somewhat conflicting [Hit Early Crosses] with "Aggressive Full-Back" (who should cross late from byline), it looks like they cross faster that way, but I may be mistaken. [Hit Early Crosses] with Balanced/Cautious FB may be an option too.

Set pieces are are great and wins a number of close games. Is this the same when you use it?

Before 19.2, when set piece defending was improved, my main center-backs pair got 7-8 goals each per season (mostly headers) and rotation pair 4-5 (though they all are close to 2 meters and with Jumping Reach 17+). It's cheatingly unrealistic, I know. :)

there seems to be very few easy chances and long shots is a good source of goals and I know it is set up that way. Would just be good to get some simple through balls and cut backs to give opposition other things to think about.

Right, if opponents are forced to defend, it's hard to break them. But I prefer to do things safer, instead of giving them chances to create an opening (and to score) I'd better try to break the tank without risk of conceding. :)

The only knock on the tactic at this point would be that I struggle a little in front of goal. I don't struggle for shots, or shots on target, but I'm finding that I win games 1-0 more often than not. I have a young strike partnership up front so that may be the case, but even with a few tweaks here and there I haven't been able to find the right mix that allows me to put a few more in the back of the net.

I'm aware of this problem, but, sadly, didn't find any reasonable short-term solution yet without increasing the risk of conceding (long-term one is buying/developing players with a good mentality, who'll fight harder and till 90+5).
If you restrict opponents hard, they obviously defend tighter. Usually, options from "Breaking the Tank" topic is enough. Sometimes not. Just like real football - it's not possible to win everything even if you're an absolute favorite.

I'm aware of this problem, but, sadly, didn't find any reasonable short-term solution yet without increasing the risk of conceding (long-term one is buying/developing players with a good mentality, who'll fight harder and till 90+5).
If you restrict opponents hard, they obviously defend tighter. Usually, options from "Breaking the Tank" topic is enough. Sometimes not. Just like real football - it's not possible to win everything even if you're an absolute favorite.

Totally agree about the tweaks to the offensive side taking something away from the defensive side. As I said in my earlier post I've got quite a young team, with a little bit of experience sprinkled throughout, and because of this I don't think I'm fully taking advantage of the tactic just yet. I find it hard to score against the bigger sides but I think as my players improve that will change with it.

On the whole though I think you've easily made one of the best defensive tactics in the game so far, as I find many of the others leave you vulnerable out the back, while I find that happening rarely with this tactic. If we can find a way to make the right tweaks to improve the goal scoring, even a little, then this will be tough to beat.