Question about mentality and fluidity

goal326499

Banned
Reaction score
After a lot of testing, I have come to conclusion that you need to cover gaps whatever formation you choose.
If you pick a flat formation, like 442, you have most gaps, so very fluid fluidity would fit. In regards to mentality, it seems it is so tight that best mentality would be standard, as neither the defence nor the midfield need to change their passing length.
Next, if you pick a formation like 4231, you have a gap in DM/WB area, so fluid fluidity is needed to close the gap, and since defenders passing needs to be increased, defensive mentality would fit.
Next, if you pick a formation like 4141DM, you have a gap in attacking mid/winger area, so flexible fluidity would fit, combined with attacking mentality to increase your midfielders passing.

Now, you may disagree with this, but it is my belief you must involve all your players for your tactic to work as required. Changing mentality to more agressive will shorten your defenders passing range, and increase your forwards passing range, and doing the opposite will do the opposite, so I think of it as useful tool to involve all of my players into one cohesive unit.

Now, the problem is structured and highly structured fluidity. One must be counter, and the other must be control. Which is which and why? I don't really see much difference between an asymmetric and a 4123DMwide formations, yet they are so different.

Can someone clarify?

I mean, I will ceirtanly go and test both options, but would like to know why.

Last edited:
You can play any Mentality with a formation. Limiting yourself so much, doesn't make any sense.

Also the "gap" you talk about is in defence. Fluidity will affect the spacing when you're in possession, so also transitions. If you want to close the gap when you don't have the ball, there's always the option of pushing up the D-line.