Question about Mourinho Philiosophy/Team Instrustions

donkarlito

Reaction score
After spending the whole time trying replicate Barcelona and coming close, I thought unless the ME improves alot the likes of the "Modern Centre Half " or or the ability too swap roles whilst swapping players its unlike that you can truly replicate Barca.

So I thought which manger so I base my tactics on and I thought of Mourinho I started doing a bit of research about Mourinho's Philosophy some the most common thing that popped up about Mourinho was how Cautious/Defensive.

So I looked at his results at chelsea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_Chelsea_F.C._season#FA_Premier_League
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_FA_Premier_League#Final_league_table
Only one defeat and lots of cleansheets and scored 72 while conceding 15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Chelsea_F.C._season#Premier_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C._season_2006%E2%80%9307#Premier_League

So looking at this I would say the philiosophy in fm terms Rigid right ?
but some fm forums believe its v.rigid.

Also there seems to be difference of opinon for Creative freedom some people say more disciplined/default and difference of opinon for Roaming I have seen all 3 choices being used.

At chelsea he used this View attachment 112027 a 4-3-3/4-5-1

At porto he used this View attachment 112028 a 4-3-1-2

at inter he also used the 4-3-1-2 but towards the end change to a 4-2-3-1 which he is using at Madrid.

Nobody can't analize him, he is unpredictable, K.I.N.G

It is quite accurate to say José has a very cautious and defensive approach to football. A Brazillian friend of mine, especially on FM, takes the "i can score one more goal than you" approach. José's is the opposite. He can conceed one less goal than you resulting in, at minimum, a draw. This is why he was criticised heavily for having "boring" football.

Tactically i think in order to emulate his extremely detailed tactical plans you'd have to do alot of tweaking with the TC or switch the classic mode. Defensively yes, his formation is rigid. However on the attack his fullbacks (ferrera was used both at porto and chelsea at doing this) have to push forward to provide alot of support.

This means that essentially his teams are very specified with alot of individual instructions.
Eg. The defensive side of his chelsea team, the fullbacks, Makelele, Terry, Carvalho and to a certain extent Essien were all very creatively limited, deep and narrow. However, the 2 wingers, CAM and strikers were allowed alot of creativity which could theoretically be tweaked player-by-player quite easily.

Both Chelsea, Porto and Inter, while having the creativity the breakdown teams, all excelled highly at the counter attack. Because his teams are so defensively solid, you therefore need to commit more bodies to break his defense down.. but this leaves less men back to defend against his counter attack.

His assistant manager once commented that he knew exactly what time the players eat, slept and went the toilet. He is the ultimate control freak in many ways. Even though he is cautious, he is not afraid to try crazy things. For example in the Munich - Inter champions league final, he had Chivu (LB) and Zanetti (playing left DM) double up on Robben on the left wing, whilst also having a LW upfront at all times for the counter attack. This meant that Bayern's main threat was neutralised and Inter could counter attack easily with atleast 3 people upfront constantly, or even overload the left wing with 3 people if needed.

In my opinion i would take a huge amount of tweaking player's exact sliders to fit into a very precise system designed on destroying the specific opposing team's advance and turning that into an attack instantaneously... very time consuming indeed!.. but it is theoretically possible if you have the right players and know your opponents team as well as they do.

He once commented saying that he made his players play 3v3 in training and when the score got to 5-4 he would send his players back to the dressing room in shame because they must be defending poorly. This type of dedication is something we can't yet create in FM but its coming close! :)

Soon we will also be able to achieve records like this:
"As of 23rd October 2010, Mourinho is on a run of 140 home league matches unbeaten"
"His last and only home league defeat came when Porto were defeated 3–2 by Beira-Mar on 23 February 2002." - both from the José Mourinho wikipedia page.

Last edited:
i think you will have to wait a while untill fm can replicate Mourinho's tactics

it is allmost impossible tou replicate mourinho´s style, but I will say very rigid and more disciplined creative freedom. In Porto he didnt use a 4-1-2-1-2 it was more a 4-1-2-2-1 with baia,paulo ferreira,nuno valente, carvalho, jorge costa, costinha(as a def midefilder), maniche and alenitchev(as central midefilders) deco as a palymaker that roams sometimes to the right wing, carlos alberto up on the left wing and benny mcCarthy