justdoit

Reaction score
lemme just start by saying am fairly clueless to the tactic part , not completely tho.
Here's my question , is it smarter or the best way to go to start off a match especially Away matches with a slow tempo completely devoted only to retaining possession , even in ur defensive line if that's what it takes, rather than go in a match with ur normal plan as if u are playing against 7 year olds ?
For e.g , if u normally use a quick tempo possession tactic , u start with another tactic(and formation) that just focuses on keeping possession in lets say first 10 or 15 minutes then take on a quicker tempo game and a more attacking mentality as game progresses.
Reason i ask this is because when i watch barcelona when playing against a pressuring team like madrid (or probably any other team that doesnt have that very strong defensive approach), they start off by trying to keep possession without even looking to attack , just pass it around midfield and defensive line , keep it simple . At first it is hard but then the more possession they keep as game progresses , u find them going further up the pitch and looking for the CCC's and the killer passes .
Btw ,i am not playing with barcelona, so it is extremely hard for smaller teams to simply keep possession in this game , especially those hard away games .
This is definitely true in real games but in fm , if this is also true, how could u make a basic possession game even in ur own midfield so that it could be ur starting plan?
thx in advance :)

Last edited:
I'm currently playing with a team in league 2, so this may be slightly different advice, but I do like to play possession football and as close to tiki-taka as it gets at this level. From what I understand, short passing possession football requires fluidity to find open spaces in attack and retain the ball under pressure. When facing a tough opponent, this can be problematic as you'll also leave spaces open for the opposition. For example, I play a standard 4-4-2 and my fullbacks do a great job supporting attacks but it leaves the team vulnerable to a counter attack with only my two CBs in my back line.

I don't really differentiate between home and away games (maybe that's a bad thing, idk), but I do distinguish between tough teams and easy teams. When I'm playing more skilled teams, I do slightly reduce tempo, but the major thing I do is reduce fluidity. This ensures that defensively my team is in proper shape. If I feel that the team has latched on to possession, I move fluidity back up to allow for some more aggressive soccer. I guess the effect is pretty much the same - it moves my defensive players up as they seek to support attacks.

lemme just start by saying am fairly clueless to the tactic part , not completely tho.
Here's my question , is it smarter or the best way to go to start off a match especially Away matches with a slow tempo completely devoted only to retaining possession , even in ur defensive line if that's what it takes, rather than go in a match with ur normal plan as if u are playing against 7 year olds ?
For e.g , if u normally use a quick tempo possession tactic , u start with another tactic(and formation) that just focuses on keeping possession in lets say first 10 or 15 minutes then take on a quicker tempo game and a more attacking mentality as game progresses.
Reason i ask this is because when i watch barcelona when playing against a pressuring team like madrid (or probably any other team that doesnt have that very strong defensive approach), they start off by trying to keep possession without even looking to attack , just pass it around midfield and defensive line , keep it simple . At first it is hard but then the more possession they keep as game progresses , u find them going further up the pitch and looking for the CCC's and the killer passes .
Btw ,i am not playing with barcelona, so it is extremely hard for smaller teams to simply keep possession in this game , especially those hard away games .
This is definitely true in real games but in fm , if this is also true, how could u make a basic possession game even in ur own midfield so that it could be ur starting plan?
thx in advance :)

It's a good idea to not take too many chances until you know how th game flow looks like. I always play the first 5 minutes in full mode and the react to what I see on the pitch . If the opponents bomb forward with their fullbacks, I can easily switch to a direct counter after only 2 minutes though.

how about a 4-5-1 , midfield : 2 DM , 1 CM , 2 wingers ? , looks abit like a 4-3-3