marksj2

Reaction score
If i buy a 17 year old, but loan him out for 3 years in order to get game time, will he still count as homegrown at my club?

No, the three years must be spent at your club, not just owned by your club

Sorry to disagree PatrickLFC, Yes he will.

If you loan him to another team in another league, the time spent overseas won't count for a second nationality, BUT he will be considered as homegrown definitely. Even if you loan him, you stiil "own" him, he's part of YOUR club

Ok, I read the chat in your link, but is this backed up by factual Sport Interactive information or just based on users opinion?

I'm just going to talk about my experience:

I play long save career with PSG, and buy regens with at least 4 stars. Some of them come from Argentina or Brazil. They arrive at my club when they turn 18. I keep them one season in my reserve squad, then loan them for at least 2 years (in Spain when it's possible to get the Spanish passport). They ALWAYS become homegrown, any explanation then?

Ok, I read the chat in your link, but is this backed up by factual Sport Interactive information or just based on users opinion?

I'm just going to talk about my experience:

I play long save career with PSG, and buy regens with at least 4 stars. Some of them come from Argentina or Brazil. They arrive at my club when they turn 18. I keep them one season in my reserve squad, then loan them for at least 2 years (in Spain when it's possible to get the Spanish passport). They ALWAYS become homegrown, any explanation then?

I actually do similar and I think my players get HG status. (Man Utd)

Not 100% but I always thought loans didn't affect the HG status by the time they're 21 oO) as I have loads of HG players.

I rarely buy over age 18

(this may be to do with a difference 'Home grown in country' and 'Home grown at club' ???)

Last edited:
If you loan them within your nation, or you bought them from your nation, they can still become Home Grown in Nation, but they need to spend three years at your club, not just owned by your club, to become Home Grown at Club

My bad guys.

I checked an old long term save with Paris FC in FM16 and indeed, the prospects I bought and loaned are Homegrown for the NATION, not the CLUB. I thought I'd clear that up so no confusion in this thread.

Good that we had this chat, so I won't make the mistake to SYSTEMATICALLY send on loan the 18yo with good potential. Instead, I'd choose carefully who stays in the club and will get some game time...

Thanks guys

Home Grown player`s age

Hello everybody,
I hope nothing changed in a rules since earlier FM.
I just started save with Norwich and has too little decent homegrown players.
Bought several 18 y/o players. Still haven`t completed 3 seasons. But i see a description:
english born 18 y/o player is described as -club player after 3 years,
youngsters from other nations described as -nation player after 3 years.
My question is whether those foreign players, bought at 18 y/o also become as home grown for a club? as well as trained in nation?

My understanding is that irregardless of a players nationality, if you sign them at 17/18 and they spend 3 full years at your club, no loans out, just at your club, then they will become homegrown for the club. If you loan them out within your nation within that 3 years, they will become homegrown for the nation. If you loan them internationally, they won't become homegrown in any sense.

Has anyone figured out a deadline to whether how old player can be maximum to be HG?

For example, I signed Vaclav Cerny one season into the game (he's 19), he still became home grown for club and country. Made me think about Uefa's rule. The age that is considered is the age at the midpoint of the season (1st Jan). The player has to spend 3 years. So if player turns 21 after the Jan 2, according to my understanding his HG quota of time will still be considered until the next 1st Jan.

For example, I signed Vaclav Cerny one season into the game (he's 19), he still became home grown for club and country. Made me think about Uefa's rule. The age that is considered is the age at the midpoint of the season (1st Jan). The player has to spend 3 years. So if player turns 21 after the Jan 2, according to my understanding his HG quota of time will still be considered until the next 1st Jan.

The UEFA rule for "A “Home Grown Player” is defined as a player who, irrespective of their nationality or age, has been registered with any association football club affiliated to the FA or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or non-continuous, of three seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st​ birthday (or the end of the season during which they turn 21" so in your case, if he has managed 3 years at the club before the end of the season in which he's 21, he'll be considered home-grown.

For European competitions clubs are required to name a minimum of 8 home grown (or “locally trained”) players in a squad limited to 25. 4 of these have to be “club-trained” and 4 have to be “association trained”:
  • A “club-trained player” is defined as a player who, between the age of 15 and 21, irrespective of their age or nationality, has been registered with their current club for a period, continuous or non-continuous, of three seasons or of 36 months between the ages of 15 and 21.
  • An “association trained” player fulfils the same criteria but with another club, or clubs, in the same association
I assume that loaning the player elsewhere interrupts the 'been registered with their current club' requirement.

I've always taken the approach for promising youngsters who I want to ensure are home-grown to buy before their 18th birthday as I can't be bothered faffing around trying to work out dates etc.