Quick question about goalkeeper and sweeper keeper

26Hazard

Reaction score
Hi guys

quick question from fm10 to fm13 sweeper or even goalkeeper could close down but i have realised its gone for fm14/15. Do they still close down/ press

Goalkeepers don't close down.

Hi guys

quick question from fm10 to fm13 sweeper or even goalkeeper could close down but i have realised its gone for fm14/15. Do they still close down/ press

This is really a matter of semantics. A goalkeepr dose not close down in the same way a defender would. It's linked to this "rushing out" attribute. Sweeper-Keepers remain in their position and do not close down.

To understand this, I'll have to do a small bit of explaining :p

Closing down (or pressing) is minimizing the space between you and the player in possession with the ball, with the aim of forcing an error or mistake. You're not looking to gain possession, you're looking to force him to loose loose possession.

A goalkeeper should never allow a player control of the ball; you're always trying to gain direct control of the ball from the player so pressing the ball is a terrible idea.

This is really a matter of semantics. A goalkeepr dose not close down in the same way a defender would. It's linked to this "rushing out" attribute. Sweeper-Keepers remain in their position and do not close down.

To understand this, I'll have to do a small bit of explaining :p

Closing down (or pressing) is minimizing the space between you and the player in possession with the ball, with the aim of forcing an error or mistake. You're not looking to gain possession, you're looking to force him to loose loose possession.

A goalkeeper should never allow a player control of the ball; you're always trying to gain direct control of the ball from the player so pressing the ball is a terrible idea.

Thank you for your reply. I thought so ( i mean that the dont close down) as they should only come out when a striker is heading towards goal. However in previous fms when we had the "sliders" the sweeper keeper had a closing down slider in which he would come out of his line to stop an incoming striker. Basically i am trying to make a team pressing tactic which is very fluid, quite similar to that out total football and just wondered why in fm15/fm14 they dony have close down active.

Goalkeepers don't close down.

In previous fms (10-13) there was a closing down slider that could be adjusted and on attacking/fluid/veryfluid the sweeper keeper had high closing down. Thats what made me wonder

Well, goalkeepers do not press. What would they press? How would they press? Have you ever seen them press anything? I doubt very much that the slider had any effect. What were you trying to do with your keeper through the closing down slider and what isn't he doing now?

Well, goalkeepers do not press. What would they press? How would they press? Have you ever seen them press anything? I doubt very much that the slider had any effect. What were you trying to do with your keeper through the closing down slider and what isn't he doing now?

Basically i am trying to make a very fluid tactic. To better understand what i am trying to do here is a quick description of it.
View attachment 240921

to my understanding and interpretation of this , it is a global mentality spread across everyone and pressing is required in all areas. Lets say i take this back to fm12 (yes i know but is similar to sliders of fm13) this what the player instructions look like in fm 12

These are the default of a sweeper keeper under the team instructions of Attacking,Very Fluid and Press More

View attachment 240918

and this is fm 15

View attachment 240916

can you see what i mean now? also defenders had closing down set for them as well by default.

I know all of this.

You haven't answered what I asked and I'll say again - goalkeepers do not press. What you were looking at, were global settings. Closing down shouldn't have been there, I'd argue.

To make it clearer: The closing down slider says 'whole pitch'. Goalkeepers don't leave their area to close down defenders, except in a 'rushing out' situation which there's an attribute for, nevermind the whole pitch.

Last edited:
I know all of this.

You haven't answered what I asked and I'll say again - goalkeepers do not press. What you were looking at, were global settings. Closing down shouldn't have been there, I'd argue.

Sorry about that, to answer your question iIwas linking closing down pressing to when he comes off his line to press the incoming forward and force him to make a mistake kind of what Manuel Neuer does for Bayern Munich.

Sorry about that, to answer your question iIwas linking closing down pressing to when he comes off his line to press the incoming forward and force him to make a mistake kind of what Manuel Neuer does for Bayern Munich.
Then you're looking for a sweeper keeper, who'll play off his line. In your case, a sweeper keeper attack. He'll pressure attackers, like GKs have always done, based on his attributes. What you need to look at specifically, is Rushing Out combined with his mental attributes.

Last edited:
Then you're looking for a sweeper keeper, who'll play off his line. In your case, a sweeper keeper attack. He'll pressure attackers, like GKs have always done, based on his attributes. What you need to look at specifically, is Rushing Out combined with his mental attributes.

Ah yes. i could change to that! Right now i am currently using a Sweeper Support as well i feel he isnt really forcing the keeper to make a mistake

View attachment 240901