Peter Wong

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to this game and slowly getting the hang of it, but it can be overwhelming and I need to ask about even simple things.

1. What are reserves? Why do I need them? Can I just skip on reserves matches? When do I call up someone from reserves into my main team? And if I do so, do I need to put someone else into the reserves team so that they have enough people?

2. I am playing as the Vauxhall motormen at the lowest league, and with really poor training facilities, what exactly can I do to be stronger? Training of stats seem to grow at a snails pace. My tactics are already maxed out.

3. How much money do I need to earn to get the board to improve training facilities?

4. For match preparation, is this a temporary "boost" to stats? Is there any difference if, say, I practice tactics at the start of the week, and then practice fitness just before a match? I just want to understand why the need to have a separate match training.

Last edited:
I'm not the best at FM so i'd wait for someone else to give you some advice but here goes.

1)Reserves are just fringe players, people not good enough for the first time but you want to give them game time to keep them match fit.

2) Ask the board to improve training facilities, better coaches etc.

3) For newcastle it's usually like 2mil

4) Match preperation improves a certain thing for aslong as you're training it. So if you train defensive positioning for 1 year and then change it you'll still have good defensive positioning. Just not as good as if you didn't change it

Like i said i'm not the best so i wouldn't quote me on any of that.

3.) Not much money at all.

4.) Yes, the Match preperation is a boost for that specific match and it does not stack up ( apart from Tactics).
As for Training, it has nothing to do with the match.

Last edited:
I'm also not familiar with football season in general. I want to ask about them for the income.

1. When do I earn my income? It feels like I'm winning a lot of League matches but I don't get any money.

2. On the other hand, I get immediate money from winning the various cups, even in qualifying.
2a. What is the difference between my league, and all those cups? Which one is more important?

3. When is the best time to ask the board to improve facilities?

1. When do I earn my income? It feels like I'm winning a lot of League matches but I don't get any money.

Usually money for TV rights is paid at the end of the year (though Vauxhaull Motors probably won't get much as there isn't much TV coverage that low down. I think there is only one obscure satellite channel which shows Conference matches). Prize money, if there is any, is also paid at the end of the year. At the league you're in, I expect only the winner gets prize money and it will be practically insignificant (though check the 'Rules' screen). Promotion to the next league is the important thing.

2. On the other hand, I get immediate money from winning the various cups, even in qualifying.
2a. What is the difference between my league, and all those cups? Which one is more important?

The league is more important in the long term, because winning it gets you promotion to the next level, better opponents, more TV money and better gate receipts. But cups are also important because football is about winning trophies. Also, at your level the FA Cup is very important, because you can get drawn against much better teams which will give a big boost to your revenue.

I've never played at BSN level but I assume you've also got the FA Trophy. This is much lower priority, but it is also your best chance of actually winning a cup. Use it to give your young, promising players some game time, and only treat it as a priority if you get to the later stages (quarter-final or semi-final).

3. When is the best time to ask the board to improve facilities?

Probably at the end of the season, after you've been paid TV rights etc (if there is any) but before the budget for the next one is set.

Also, to go back to your first question - 'reserves' in England should technically be called under 21s. It is for players who are not yet good enough for your first team but will hopefully be in the future, and are too old for the under 18s. 3 overage players are also allowed (plus an overage goalkeeper), which is good for players coming back from injury. Often when you join a club you'll find the 'reserves' full of the last few managers' **** signings - get rid of anyone who's over 21 and not good enough (sell them to other clubs or allow their contracts to expire).

Thanks for your replies.

1. Do trophies from cups do anything to increase your income or popularity? Do they have any long-term benefits? Do they bring anything to the table other than instant money?

2. Can I as Vauxhall Motors ever have one of the best facilities, eventually? Or will there be a "cap" that prevents them from getting better, and I have to move?

3. Is it cost-efficient to train up players who start out with average stats but have huge potential?
3a. Is it possible to train homegrown players to rival Messi as Vauxhall? I don't care if it takes forever, but I just want to know whether it is possible.
3b. About training, I find that there are some stats that I cannot train despite being available on the player page. How do I unlock these stats for training? Coach? Facilities?

4. General question, what are cups for? What is the purpose of having separate tournaments alongside the league? Shouldn't the league be the be-all thing to win for all teams? If yes, again, why do they create these tournaments?

I just want to understand why there is this need to have so many different tournaments when the league should be enough.

5. When do players improve their stats? At the end of the month? Or random?

Last edited:
spleen said:
Also, to go back to your first question - 'reserves' in England should technically be called under 21s. It is for players who are not yet good enough for your first team but will hopefully be in the future, and are too old for the under 18s. 3 overage players are also allowed (plus an overage goalkeeper), which is good for players coming back from injury.

Is this true? I had no idea about the overage rule at all. Does this mean if I put someone available for reserves for match fitness and I already have say 4 overage players in my reserves there's a chance my AM will play 3 of those and not the one needing match fitness?