Reaction score
How important is quickness for centre backs? From what I've read, this is both acceleration and pace. The reason I ask is that my staff are always bugging me to set essentially all my centre bscks' individual training focus on quickness, but I feel like they'd be better off focusing on other aspects of their game (tackling, marking, positioning, strength, balance). What are your thoughts?

To ignore what your staff thinks, and make your own decision. You could either go for focusing the training on a weak point of his, improving a strong point, or just train him in the role you want him to play in.

To ignore what your staff thinks, and make your own decision. You could either go for focusing the training on a weak point of his, improving a strong point, or just train him in the role you want him to play in.
Yea I normally train players for a specific role, unless there's a glaring weakness in a key attribute. But they're so insistent, I thought I was missing something, like maybe I'm vastly underestimating the importance of quickness for centre backs.

How important is quickness for centre backs? From what I've read, this is both acceleration and pace. The reason I ask is that my staff are always bugging me to set essentially all my centre bscks' individual training focus on quickness, but I feel like they'd be better off focusing on other aspects of their game (tackling, marking, positioning, strength, balance). What are your thoughts?

Take everything your staff says with a grain of salt. Your judgement is almost always better.

That said, acceleration and pace is ESSENTIAL if you defend with either a high, or very high defensive line. Or, if you use a covering CB or sweeper. It's tactic specific.

Ah, gotcha. I don't use any of those, so I think I should be fine with my current approach. Thank you both!

Oh btw, training for a specific role focuses on the attributes that are important for that role, right? And not just increases the player's star rating for that role, like training for a new position does?

Oh btw, training for a specific role focuses on the attributes that are important for that role, right? And not just increases the player's star rating for that role, like training for a new position does?

yes if you go to individual training from the players profile, you can look at exactly what attributes are being trained.

and to answer your question, i dont feel quickness is all that important for a centerback. positioning, marking, tackling and jumping are all way more important to me

The easiest way to make an effective winning squad is to have pace everywhere. I like even my cbs to be pacey (relative to their position ie 14/15).

But training cbs on quickness outright is silly imho.

What I do is I start by training positionally (not necessarily according to position they play but according to focus training of each position) and I come back to it every 3/4 months for possible changes (eg ball playing defender all duties to ball playing defender support). After a season or two (or more depending how players develop) I then target train particular attributes.

So a typical cb would eventually get specific training for quickness if its "low" in relation to his other attributes or to the tactic.

Oh and I never buy cbs for starting XI with less than 11 pace.

I prefer my first choice cb pairing to have acceleration of about 14/15 (got Sakho and Koscielny at Arsenal) but bare minimum of 11 only if the player has good mental and defensive stats to make up for being slower (Howedes).

I look for pace everywhere... Depends how you play but I prefer to have lightning CBs...

Pace + Anticipation + Positioning = rock solid

Advice from staff (coaches and scouts) is only as good as that staff members attributes.